Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #41
gitbse
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeur View Post
Great post. As a newbie and with the push to use simulators a primer on setting up the various sims for training would be really helpful. Things like recommended helis and the settings for those helis in the sim.

Thanks,
Hugh
Realflight, and any heli in there. No setup needed, all the stock helis fly very close to their real life counterparts. I fly the Rave ENV, and it flies almost exactly like my real one.

YS Powered Rave ENV
Stretched Mini Protos
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
ChasingTail
Registered Users

@ArchmageAU

Any tips on setting up DX8 for Heli-X? Do you disable the software setting or do you use TX DR/Expo, TX curves? Any other info on TX setup, hold, IU, etc?

Thanks, love the training guide.
ChasingTail is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #43
ArchmageAU
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingTail View Post
@ArchmageAU

Any tips on setting up DX8 for Heli-X? Do you disable the software setting or do you use TX DR/Expo, TX curves? Any other info on TX setup, hold, IU, etc?
For heli-x, use 5 channel mode. I use DR/expo in the DX8 itself.

Straight linear pitch curves (0,25,50,75,100) for all modes (norm/IU1/IU2/hold)

The throttle curve is a straight 100%, but I use a mix setting taught to me by Clicky. The mix setting. Mix 1 is Aux2 > Thr -30, -50 for IU1 only, Mix 2 is Aux2 > Thr -10, -20 for UI2 only. This way IU1 has speeds 70,100,50 and IU2 is 90,100,80 for the three positions of the AUX2 switch.

I manually edited the XML calibration file for heli-X to fine tune to ensure all channels registered -100 to 100 and centered at 0.

The keys I set for normal and IU in heli-x are never used.

Quote:
Thanks, love the training guide.
Thanks. Hope you get as much out of it and I did inventing and following it's principals.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #44
MHN777
Registered Users

Sorry for interrupting, guys but i am not sure what to do.

I'm all psyched up, and went ahead to purchase ( ) my next 450 heli... a cheap weed beater...

but the thing is... should I just continue with Clearview , which I paid for,

or do I go for Heli-X? I've tried Heli-X, and it's the best for heli Sim, for me.... tried AFPD and and the older Real Flights,,,,

Man but 50 Euros is expensive for me now..... I'm all tight on budget for the hobby now.... so would Clearview cut it? I've tried both.... i find Clearview's not running in synch with "real time" feel..
Hummingbird FP (sold) | MS Hornet 2 ( RIP) | Swift 16 (Retired) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Pheonixtech TT360 Beast X V3 (Sold) | Laheli MaxiR (Sold) | ARK "480" Plus (Still Tweaking) | Forza 450 Ex (NiB)
MHN777 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #45
ChasingTail
Registered Users

I know what you mean about expensive for a downloadable version with no hardware included. I've owned RF and Phoenix and now Heli-X. I got tired of the darn nag screen, seemed to interfere with my learning. The physics seem very realistic but it is hard to setup promptly. I am still trying to get it right. I do like RF 6.5 but they need to work on the pass through feature so you can use your own TX. Also RF's training doesn't allow slowing down the physics. Anyway, I dunno, Heli-X is definitely giving me my moneys worth. I will keep trying to set it up better.

(Hint Hint Mr. Wizard - @AA, a detail setup tutorial for the DX8 and Heli-X would help some of us newbie Heli-X students!)
ChasingTail is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #46
preston777
Registered Users

quick question. after a few times doing the first lesson i got to where i could pass the hover part and i am working on inverted now finally.
but i was just curious if when you first started out your hovered "wandered" more than they do now. I use the f3c box on Phoenix and it seems like a pretty big box to keep it in. i keep the blades of a 90 size inside during the training to count it as not a crash. does that sound right or should i be going for a really tight hover before i move on?
preston777 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #47
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHN777 View Post
Man but 50 Euros is expensive for me now..... I'm all tight on budget for the hobby now.... so would Clearview cut it? I've tried both.... i find Clearview's not running in synch with "real time" feel..
Yes Clearview can work, but you will have to manually control you area. For upright you can use the autopilot for the collective, but not for inverted (and rudder trim to slow piro).

I found Heli-X MUCH better than Clearview for training (and Physics).

What is important is to get used to making the right corrections. The idea is to make them so automatic they are sub-concious.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #48
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
(Hint Hint Mr. Wizard - @AA, a detail setup tutorial for the DX8 and Heli-X would help some of us newbie Heli-X students!)
Will be done before this time next week. (In Tokyo for work at the moment).
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #49
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston777 View Post
quick question. after a few times doing the first lesson i got to where i could pass the hover part and i am working on inverted now finally.
but i was just curious if when you first started out your hovered "wandered" more than they do now. I use the f3c box on Phoenix and it seems like a pretty big box to keep it in. i keep the blades of a 90 size inside during the training to count it as not a crash. does that sound right or should i be going for a really tight hover before i move on?
Just inside the enormous F3C box is fine. Slow piro upright should be fine, slow piro invert initially will be a struggle. The more you practice, the better you get.

Yes, I wandered out of area A LOT when starting invert. Inverted, I rarely move out of a 3m x 3m now (much smaller than the 10m x 10m F3C box). This is all while invert or upright slow piroing at 1 rev per minute.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #50
Flyin Bryan
Registered Users

Ya, this is an excellent write up.

I'm not sure I'm learning at the same pace but I think I'm close. I'm a little less than 3 months in and I'm doing slow forwards flight figure 8s in the garage.

I've tried to flip just once really (actually more, but just once where I stayed with it and tried all the way into the ground, the rest were aborted before I really had a chance)

This thread is excellent
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #51
ryane67
Registered Users

This is a great guide, thanks for posting it.. I started yesterday and hope to continue on through all steps. The amount of time spent seems like it might be daunting, but Im sure it'll pay off.
ryane67 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #52
MHN777
Registered Users

The post makes a lot of sense..

I was a self taught eheli flier that picked up all the way from tail in to side in to nose in and loops from RAdd's Rotary school of flight....

but that's all it took me too... Archmage's links to the other school.... focuses essentially on flying the "rotor disc" in all orientations possible.... to do that.. it MUST piro....

piro's definitely my weakest skill.
Hummingbird FP (sold) | MS Hornet 2 ( RIP) | Swift 16 (Retired) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Pheonixtech TT360 Beast X V3 (Sold) | Laheli MaxiR (Sold) | ARK "480" Plus (Still Tweaking) | Forza 450 Ex (NiB)
MHN777 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane67 View Post
This is a great guide, thanks for posting it.. I started yesterday and hope to continue on through all steps. The amount of time spent seems like it might be daunting, but Im sure it'll pay off.
Thank you.

It's like eating the proverbial elephant. "one bite at a time". Or the journey of a thousand miles that begins with a single step.

There is no race. Just slow and consistent progress. Each at their own pace. Because the terrain "seems" the same to the traveller, only by keeping track of progress (the log) will you feel like you are getting somewhere.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #54
Stubbz
Registered Users

Problem learning to fly the disc on the sim is its very hard to see the disc in most flying fields unless you keep it very close to you which usually ends in hitting yourself and restarting the flight. I've gotten pretty good at slow piros but deff have to keep them very close to me to really be able to see the disc good. Changing the color of the blades in the sim would help a lot but i have not been able to do that on mine yet even after asking others how to, mine wont allow me to bring them up in editting programs for the blades.

The one rev a minute slow piro seems quite silly to me tho. I have not done any slow piros using the trim ive just learned to control the rudder but thats just way to slow IMO.

Not sure if this pertains to this thread but I noticed last night that i have been flying on the sim with my sim speed set to 110% for the past like 3 weeks unknowingly. I was getting aggrivated with turns and general flying not having the control i thought i had so i went to lower it down to like 80% and realized it was at 110% so i dropped it back to the 100% again and instantly my flying improved greatly, slower closer 8's inverted and so on. It may be very hard for newbs to learn with the sim speed increased but if they can get used to it for a couple weeks then switch back to 100% it will feel like flying an mcpx or nano compared to a BL model IMO. For what it's worth i'm glad i did it and didn't know it. Now if i drop it down to 80% i can't fly it for crap cuz its so slow. Just an idea for others but it did help me a lot.
Stubbz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
Problem learning to fly the disc on the sim is its very hard to see the disc in most flying fields unless you keep it very close to you which usually ends in hitting yourself and restarting the flight....
In sim, just like in real life. Often the rotor disc is hard to see. You learn other visual cues to tell you where the rotor disc is. It's almost like "Zen and the art or flying the disc", you know and feel where it is even if you cannot see it.

Quote:
The one rev a minute slow piro seems quite silly to me tho. I have not done any slow piros using the trim ive just learned to control the rudder but thats just way to slow IMO.
With computer tail hold, a 1 rev per min piro leaves you nowhere to hide. You must correct at that orientation, not wait till the heli is at a more comfortable angle. Once you control the rudder again, if you make a rudder error, you never end up at an "uncomfortable" orientation.

Quote:
... i have been flying on the sim with my sim speed set to 110% for the past like 3 weeks unknowingly. I was getting aggrivated with turns and general flying not having the control i thought i had so i went to lower it down to like 80% and realized it was at 110% so i dropped it back to the 100% again and instantly my flying improved greatly, ...
Practice harder, fly easier.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #56
Stubbz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
In sim, just like in real life. Often the rotor disc is hard to see. You learn other visual cues to tell you where the rotor disc is. It's almost like "Zen and the art or flying the disc", you know and feel where it is even if you cannot see it.

Yeah i'm sure this will come in time more and more

With computer tail hold, a 1 rev per min piro leaves you nowhere to hide. You must correct at that orientation, not wait till the heli is at a more comfortable angle. Once you control the rudder again, if you make a rudder error, you never end up at an "uncomfortable" orientation.

That does make perfect sense, I keep them a lil faster but have been trying not to wait on certain angles I've been doin pretty good at adjusting at a lot of different positions, ill try that tho just for curiosity cuz it does make sense now that you mention that.

Practice harder, fly easier.
Seemed to work good, may just do it again at some point in the future, probly never woulda thought to try that but was amazed at the results after a cpl weeks.
Stubbz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #57
Planeur
Registered Users

Recommendation on a heli to use in Phoenix 4 and setup with a Spectrum dx6i would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugh
Planeur is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #58
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeur View Post
Recommendation on a heli to use in Phoenix 4 and setup with a Spectrum dx6i would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugh
TRex 700e

DR 100. Expo to taste. TA 100. Pitch curve 0,25,50,75,100. Throttle curve 75,75,75,75,75. Gyro to taste (> 50 to ensure HH mode).

Learn to use TH switch to cut motor.

Currently working on a sim set up primer.

Last edited by ArchmageAU; 06-10-2013 at 02:31 AM..
ArchmageAU is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #59
jasond1979
Registered Users

Excellent guide, im using it to get back into helicopters. Now I have a way to do it. Thank you. By the way I'm using RealFlight with the trim set to rotate every minute with the trim setting. Like the physics of it.

Jason
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #60
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Simulator setup

Posted a simulator setup primer in the "Other R/C Flight Simulators" (http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69) forum.

Simulator Setup - http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A