Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam

Beam Beam Helicopters Factory Support Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #21
wadders248
Registered Users

I've not looked much outside the Avantgarde forum, but I reckon it must be a first!

Been reading the Diablo S forum and the tri-blade setup that's been adapted for that... go to own a Minicopter machine one day.

You need to do a Kasama tri-blade next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
I wonder if I'm the first person in the world to put a three blade head on a Beam? :-)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #22
trillian
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
I've not looked much outside the Avantgarde forum, but I reckon it must be a first!

Been reading the Diablo S forum and the tri-blade setup that's been adapted for that... go to own a Minicopter machine one day.

You need to do a Kasama tri-blade next!
With the Kasamas the swash needs to change as well so it's then a matter of also finding a swash that will fit. The Triabolo head and swash might fit the Faifa but I think it would require longer links and maybe having to go with a regular swash driver setup.

---Actually, looking at it again, it looks like the Beam swash would probably work with just slightly longer stalks on the link balls as the Kasama outer swash has a wider footprint. If the Kasama balls would fit I think that would do it. Or, it probably wouldn't be a big deal if the links to the servos lean inward a bit. Then it's just a matter of the height between the swash and the headblock. If Mr K would make a three blade headblock and some grip arms we could use the Faifa grips, just get one more. And ideally a three blade inner swash to keep it all Kasama.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
trillian
Registered Users

Today I finally got a chance to fly the three bladed Beam.

First of all it sounds very different. It doesn't fly really different but I think the issue is the blades being too short really (at least for the headspeeds I'm running). These blades also have a good bit narrower chord than the Radix and Rail 600s I was using before.

I bumped up the collective to (I think) 12.6 and that's as far as it would go at the moment due to the slightly over-long swash links as I mentioned before.

It does fly though, so that's good :-)

I have asked one of the shops here to see about NHP doing up a 600mm three blade set. I really think with some longer heavier blades we'll really see the effect of the three blade head. For now I'm just happy it flies without any drama or bad behaviour. I have no idea what headspeeds I was running, I'm guessing about 1850 ish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020815crop.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	530349  
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
trillian
Registered Users

Today I did a quick test hover with my improvised set of TT 600s. It was totally fine in a hover but obviously that doesn't tell much beyond just knowing that everything basically works.

I have the V2 one-way back in now and I also changed the ESC because previously the Beam was just 'borrowing' a Jive 80HV and I have moved that Jive to the TDR. I had a spare Hobbywing 70HV that I have used on other helis and it works extremely well so I soldered in a Gryphon Agena BEC and then I added an Opti Ultraguard and removed the buffer pack I was using with the Jive.

No telling when we will have decent weather again at the moment.

If it flies really well with these blades then I'll see about getting a nicer 3 blade set because these do not fold back at all and plus I had to put a heck of a lot of tape on one to get it to balance with the other two, so these blades are just for a 'proof of concept'. I think if I'm unimpressed with how it flies with these I'll put the stock two blade head back on. It was extremely good with the original two blade head and standard Radix 600s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030028.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	541333   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030023.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	541334   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030026.jpg
Views:	84