Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
mkovalcson
Registered Users
 
Posts: 19,922
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Default

FYI, The Skookum SK-720 BE and SK-GPS2 have had specials.

Right now the SK-GPS2 is on sale for $249.
__________________
Mark
2011' Protos 500, 2014' Logo 550SX, 2012' TDR, 2015' Protos Max V2, 2016' TDR2
2013' Jeti DS-16
mkovalcson is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #22
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
There comes a point where your dad will just have to accept that his reflexes/eye hand coordination aren't what they used to be.
.
He accepts that, he tells me all time, but i just want him to stay flying with me, and not give up the hobby.
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #23
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,563
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carrollton, GA
Default

Tore down and rebuilt my Logo 690... (While on a conference call.. Lol)

So it's getting ready for a new home, and hopefully will become a nice fountain of youth for your Dad... I was very happy to have fixed it up for him

So your Dad gets the following setup:

1.Logo 690 - 12S capable... 6s tuned for mildly low head speed... (Yes it's still floaty on 6S)
2. MSH Brain with self level configured / tuned...
3. Altimeter based Hard Deck.. (Already set up)
4. Taranis - (yes my old Taranis... AC/DC, Airwolf, and other songs set up on it...)

Flight modes:
1. Normal - Fulltime self level, beginner settings and low rates.
2. IDLE 1 - No self level, beginner settings, full rates.
3. IDLE 2 - No self level, sport settings, full rates.
Panic Recovery
Hard deck
Altitude speech switch (reads the altitude to the user)

Should get a good 5 min flying on a 3000 battery, maybe more... Ideally a 5000 should do the trick though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	650362  
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #24
Raptorapture
CHC Benefactor
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Singapore
Default

Sweet!
__________________
Playing with gravity one heli at a time
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #25
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Tore down and rebuilt my Logo 690... (While on a conference call.. Lol)

So it's getting ready for a new home, and hopefully will become a nice fountain of youth for your Dad... I was very happy to have fixed it up for him

So your Dad gets the following setup:

1.Logo 690 - 12S capable... 6s tuned for mildly low head speed... (Yes it's still floaty on 6S)
2. MSH Brain with self level configured / tuned...
3. Altimeter based Hard Deck.. (Already set up)
4. Taranis - (yes my old Taranis... AC/DC, Airwolf, and other songs set up on it...)

Flight modes:
1. Normal - Fulltime self level, beginner settings and low rates.
2. IDLE 1 - No self level, beginner settings, full rates.
3. IDLE 2 - No self level, sport settings, full rates.
Panic Recovery
Hard deck
Altitude speech switch (reads the altitude to the user)

Should get a good 5 min flying on a 3000 battery, maybe more... Ideally a 5000 should do the trick though.
Your awesome.. sounds great. Battery's no issue. he can get some battery's.
for those who didn't figure out from my other post, Gunny is the one i put together a trex 450 and a trex/copterx 250. for those i received from him one of each 250 and a 450 and a old spectrum dx7 cause its my favorite radio. he also loaned me his K120 to try out... super nice guy and he has done a ton for other local guys he fly with.
wish I had something i could give you in return for all you have done.

with the Altimeter, does it know when its over unlevel ground? that is my only worries.
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #26
CZorzella
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brazil, SP, Sao Paulo
Default Hard deck, is the only way never to crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
So it's getting ready for a new home, and hopefully will become a nice fountain of youth for your Dad... I was very happy to have fixed it up for him

OMG!!! 👍👍👍👏👏👏
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #27
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,563
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carrollton, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Your awesome.. sounds great. Battery's no issue. he can get some battery's.
for those who didn't figure out from my other post, Gunny is the one i put together a trex 450 and a trex/copterx 250. for those i received from him one of each 250 and a 450 and a old spectrum dx7 cause its my favorite radio. he also loaned me his K120 to try out... super nice guy and he has done a ton for other local guys he fly with.
wish I had something i could give you in return for all you have done.

with the Altimeter, does it know when its over unlevel ground? that is my only worries.
Altimeter is just absolute... It's a pretty accurate reading...

Like hook up, set on ground and flip switch:

"One hundred sixty three feet"

Then reset telemetry...

"Zero feet"

So that's wherever it sits...

Fly up a few feet and the height goes up. It's just measuring air pressure.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #28
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Altimeter is just absolute... It's a pretty accurate reading...

Like hook up, set on ground and flip switch:

"One hundred sixty three feet"

Then reset telemetry...

"Zero feet"

So that's wherever it sits...

Fly up a few feet and the height goes up. It's just measuring air pressure.
Cool.. by way I'm off wedsday and friday. But friday have something to do from 12-3ish.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Well yesterday was great. Gunny_geeves came out to our field and met my dad, he flew the logo 690 around some. landed and told him it was his heli now. he was like what . He was really really surprised. it was great. My dad has done so much for me and others in this hobby , glad he got something finally in return for all the hours he spent teaching me to fly, the days he took me flying that he really didn't feel like it, cause he was tired after working all day/week. thank you so much again gunny_jeeves AKA Lee. I agree with Lee this is a great hobby for family. wish i seen more family's out at the field. its great to see kids in the hobby. As i started planes when i was 9. This helicopter should be great its big and able to be seen. slow headspeed on 6cell a Taranis tx witch me and my father both have thought about buying but wasn't sure would like it but its great, just got get used to programming it.

I was really surprised how well the altimeter read the height of the heli as the field fly at has a huge slope on both sides of the runway. harddeck seemed to work well also. amazing.
Only problem is , it is bigger then my 500 lol... I somehow knew soon as i got a big heli he would get a bigger one

BTW my dad birthday is May 27th so this was his birthday present.
for those who don't know my father is a member here and many know him on RCG as Everydayflyer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_150247.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	650758   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_212053.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	650759  
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Blackline
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: claremore, Oklahoma
Default

That is pretty awesome.
Blackline is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #31
Raleighcopter
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,481
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: raleigh
Default

lee is truly an ambassador to this hobby. Bravo.
__________________
Jeti-Mod. Making your jeti multilingual.
All Your Bays Are Belong To Us.
get a jeti-mod
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #32
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
lee is truly an ambassador to this hobby. Bravo.
Wish they were more people around like him, I give back by trying to answer questions for people online and making videos for radio set ups, and when i was in a club i was always a volunteer club instructor/test pilot and willing to help anyone with anything i could. wish i could afford to give things this nice to people.
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #33
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,563
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carrollton, GA
Default

Hey man... It was really cool meeting your Dad too.. That was awesome... About as soon as I met him, I knew that heli was going to the right place...

So what do you think about the Taranis now? As a Spektrum guy, I'd like to know what you think of that Taranis, especially if you could say it was easy...

You got a TX set up with the full gamut, (Music, Speech, Read Telemetry, and even the uber high end, REACT to telemetry...) and I only spent maybe 20 min on the phone with you once... but I'd bet that you got a good and actually complete grasp of Taranis and could set up about anything you need now.

Based on that, would you recommend Taranis to a new person?

I know its totally different, but would you describe it as really difficult? (I was careful about how I explained things... and the theory is that it can be easy and comfortable.)

I can't wait to hear about your Dad flying that thing too...
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #34
Epoweredrc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,568
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallapossa, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Hey man... It was really cool meeting your Dad too.. That was awesome... About as soon as I met him, I knew that heli was going to the right place...

So what do you think about the Taranis now? As a Spektrum guy, I'd like to know what you think of that Taranis, especially if you could say it was easy...

You got a TX set up with the full gamut, (Music, Speech, Read Telemetry, and even the uber high end, REACT to telemetry...) and I only spent maybe 20 min on the phone with you once... but I'd bet that you got a good and actually complete grasp of Taranis and could set up about anything you need now.

Based on that, would you recommend Taranis to a new person?

I know its totally different, but would you describe it as really difficult? (I was careful about how I explained things... and the theory is that it can be easy and comfortable.)

I can't wait to hear about your Dad flying that thing too...
For anyone who wants TX that is great on price, and will do anything and everything i think the Taranis is a great TX. I wish my DX6, or DX7 would do the things it does. my dad, not a fan of music, cause he needs to focus on flying but for me , that is one of my fav features of it, as someone who uses a mp3 player and ear buds often while flying.. being able to have music in my tx and flip a switch for the song is so awesome.
only other tx i know does this cost over $1,000 well named brand tx been around for years.

As someone coming from dx7, dx6 for past ten years i feel it is more confusion to me on programing but someone new to hobby i am sure can figure out faster.
Yes after the phone call i understood it lot better. i am hands on type of person, not a reader.

Thanks again for everything man.. i am really enjoying the other helis and now have to get a K120... its been fun blade but ive had my eyes opened up. I went from owning 3 blade helicopters and 0 Align to owning 4 align helis now in less then a month. while i wish i had the money for a higher end heli I don't but my fleet now is lot better. just got get me a icon or brain for my 250.
__________________
XK252,K120,Cpx450 ZYX,,Trex600 Beastx, Gremlin,POD Racer, GLH,Whipit,Z-84, Elelctric Shock AMA 27 yrs.


Epoweredrc is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
everydayflyer
Registered Users
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Haralson County GA USA
Default

Lucky recipient of a RTF Logo 690 with extras thanks to a heck of a nice guy and RC good will ambassador.

Thanks for every ones concerns ,advice and suggestions. Chris posted this video of me flying one of my 450X with Copter X FBL. I purchased this one here almost 4 years ago.


This old man is slowing down but not ready to quit just yet. I believe Gunny has shown me the path to take to enjoy flying air beaters more with less fear of crashing. I just need to get over seeing a lot of green backs when the 690 is up in the blue.

Learning a new Radio, ESC etc. has been somewhat of a slow process but I am getting there.

Thanks all an a special thanks to Lee.
__________________
mS/R --3ea. mCPX 2 converted to BL 4ea. mCPX BL 2ea. BL-130X
400 FBL ,.Blade 450X ikon Blade 450X with Ar7200BX
Blade 300X MIcroheli CF frame many upgrades 230S , LOGO 690 Brain / HD , Trex 450 Pro with Brain ,planks...
everydayflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #36
mqowen
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,106
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Norman, OK
Default

Really nice to see the HF guys reaching out like that. I've seen a few guys with taranus radios. They can really make those things do a lot.

For the original question of programmed hard deck, I might change my mind in the future, but at present I more of a fan of the practice and more practice both sim and real.

In fact I have a very nice BD rescue system on one heli and it does work from any orientation, however I still have never used it other than to test. Again, I may change my mind, but a rescue and similar technology I feel might take away from the whole challenge and experience for me personally. I don't knock anyone else for using it. In fact a lot of people love the technology aspect of the hobby.

So mine is just one preference among many, but that is a great thing about this hobby and the growth of technology with the hobby.
__________________
Marc
Norman, OK - Synergy N7, TREX 700N DFC, TSA 700N, TSA 600N, Trex 550, Trex 500 ESP (FBL), 450L, RCHN - 700
mqowen is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #37
danfornow1
Registered Users
 
Posts: 928
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saint Jacob, IL
Default

Marc, you know I'm a big BD3SX fan, I have 5 of them. I also had never used the rescue except for practice. Well last week that changed. I was doing a high speed inverted run towards the flight line and flipped it back with full elevator to hear a good blade fart and the tail blew out. I lost orientation. It was nearly over the flight line so I did what was beat into my head the last couple of years and hit throttle hold without even realizing it.

I hit rescue and it started climbing inverted as I watched the blades slow down and come to a stop trying to figure out what was going on as I watched it fall about 75 feet and crash. It wasn't till that point that I realized I had hit throttle hold.
__________________
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #38
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,563
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carrollton, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Lucky recipient of a RTF Logo 690 with extras thanks to a heck of a nice guy and RC good will ambassador.

Thanks for every ones concerns ,advice and suggestions. Chris posted this video of me flying one of my 450X with Copter X FBL. I purchased this one here almost 4 years ago.

Dad flying B450 upclose video - YouTube

This old man is slowing down but not ready to quit just yet. I believe Gunny has shown me the path to take to enjoy flying air beaters more with less fear of crashing. I just need to get over seeing a lot of green backs when the 690 is up in the blue.

Learning a new Radio, ESC etc. has been somewhat of a slow process but I am getting there.

Thanks all an a special thanks to Lee.
Dude! That's awesome!

I was really happy to meet you too. I know it went to a good place. The 250 that your son fixed for me goes to a friend who got recently diagnosed with MS. I figure it'll help his motor skills stick around longer than they might otherwise. (His brother is a pretty avid hobby guy so it can be fixed if it breaks.)

I know the head speed is low. It's a 12s setup you got, but it flies good on 6s. I'd guess 8s would make it about perfect... On 12s it's a beast.

Enjoy that think. I know your son's just happy to be flying with ya. (And God willing, when I'm your age, my kids will still fly with me.)

Yep. That Logo just could not have found a better home.

EDIT: After seeing the flying there... Hmmm...
In the Brain set max angle to 70 degrees. (For in self level.)
Go to idle up 1 or 2 to turn off the self level. (You will have the agility you're used to.)
On the hard deck in the mixer, change the pitch to 85. (It will arrest the decent a lot faster and climb quicker)

In my defense... I'd have nailed those settings for ya if I saw you fly first.

Enjoy!
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #39
mqowen
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,106
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Norman, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfornow1 View Post
Marc, you know I'm a big BD3SX fan, I have 5 of them. I also had never used the rescue except for practice. Well last week that changed. I was doing a high speed inverted run towards the flight line and flipped it back with full elevator to hear a good blade fart and the tail blew out. I lost orientation. It was nearly over the flight line so I did what was beat into my head the last couple of years and hit throttle hold without even realizing it.

I hit rescue and it started climbing inverted as I watched the blades slow down and come to a stop trying to figure out what was going on as I watched it fall about 75 feet and crash. It wasn't till that point that I realized I had hit throttle hold.

Thats awesome Dan. At least you had the presence of mind to get to that point. I need to do some practice with the rescue just because i have it.
__________________
Marc
Norman, OK - Synergy N7, TREX 700N DFC, TSA 700N, TSA 600N, Trex 550, Trex 500 ESP (FBL), 450L, RCHN - 700
mqowen is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #40
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,029
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: spokane,washington
Default

Doesn't the barometer you can buy separately from Jeti work by itself? Meaning it can trigger your self level at certain pre set heights if you have self level on your fbl system? We were just discussing this over in the Skookum section awhile back. Jeti came out with a release note on it. We were comparing the low cost to the SK's gps feature.
I know it works with Jeti, but.
I can't help but wonder if some smart guy here integrated that into another system and made it work?

Like Mqgowen, I too toasted a heli last fall hitting th instead of my bail out, which I never use anymore and haven't for years. (5 helis equipped also). That one has Sk gps now. I also changed the Th toggle off my temp spring loaded toggle, which is now my bail out. And I practice hitting it at least once an outing.
__________________
Jeti//800Triabolo/Gob700/SHS800/Frankenheli600/Chase420/Compass/Coax/Sk720B/540/360 YGE/YEP/HW/MKS/Outrage/Turnigy/Mibl/Soko/KollDubroRcTek/Boca/Herc/Gryphon/ScottGray Scorp/KDE/Kontronik/TP/Tenax/Lynx
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2016 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The HeliFreak.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.