Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #21
Thestructured
Registered Users

Though I'm with everyone else that this was probably a power issue/brownout or signal loss, it's worth noting that there's somebody selling a 470L in the classifieds that had similar happen. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....&highlight=470

Granted it could have also happened due to setup error.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #22
glidergal
Registered Users

Default Electrical Interference

Those three big motor leads from the ESC generate lots of EMF which can be interfering with the signals going through the leads to/from the FBL unit. I'd remount the FBL away from those ESC to motor leads.
glidergal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #23
nynextel88
Registered Users

The 100A Align ESC has BEC current feeding through the throttle lead and also the other standalone BEC cable. The best option to utilize is the throttle lead into Beast X, and the other additional BEC lead into your receiver.

I hope this clarifies for those that are stating this ESC has single BEC lead, that is incorrect.

I'll break it down for you

Single Yellow is RPM signal wire to use with FBL governor function if you choose to do so
Red / Black by itself is BEC wire
Red / Black / White -- Red / Black is BEC current as well, and White is standalone throttle signal

The internal BEC should be more then enough for your application, 10A continuous 25A peak.
nynextel88 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:12 AM   #24
rhodesengr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynextel88 View Post
I hope this clarifies for those that are stating this ESC has single BEC lead, that is incorrect
wow, yeah, I stand corrected. There are two power leads and looking at my 550X I had used them both. I have them both going to the BX. The 3-wire lead goes to Throttle port and I put the BEC only lead to the data/bind port.

I have read different schools of thought on whether with two power leads its better to connect both to the FBL or one to the FBL and one to the RX. I've done it both ways and I am not sure it makes a huge difference. Since most of the current goes to the servos, I think that if you have two available ports on the FBL, its better to but them there. If you have one to the RX, then some servo current will have to flow in the single line RX cable. If you use a loom with multiple brown and red wires, it's less of an issue.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #25
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

Quote:
I hope this clarifies for those that are stating this ESC has single BEC lead, that is incorrect.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense because it's what the larger Hobbywing/Align ESC's have. It's slightly confusing that all the photos of the 100A ESC found online seem to have only one cable fitted.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #26
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidergal View Post
Those three big motor leads from the ESC generate lots of EMF which can be interfering with the signals going through the leads to/from the FBL unit. I'd remount the FBL away from those ESC to motor leads.
While this does sound plausible, consider the reality that every large Trex heli has by default the FBL mounted right next to the ESC and they have been made that way for several years and many thousands of helis, and they don't all fall out of the sky.

It obviously wont do any harm to get some degree of segregation between the ESC cables and the FBL and signal wires, but if there was a fundamental problem with the standard Trex layout I think we would know about it by now.. no?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
nynextel88
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
wow, yeah, I stand corrected. There are two power leads and looking at my 550X I had used them both. I have them both going to the BX. The 3-wire lead goes to Throttle port and I put the BEC only lead to the data/bind port.

I have read different schools of thought on whether with two power leads its better to connect both to the FBL or one to the FBL and one to the RX. I've done it both ways and I am not sure it makes a huge difference. Since most of the current goes to the servos, I think that if you have two available ports on the FBL, its better to but them there. If you have one to the RX, then some servo current will have to flow in the single line RX cable. If you use a loom with multiple brown and red wires, it's less of an issue.
In the OPs case I believe he will benefit from having one power lead into his JR receiver, and one lead (ESC - throttle) into beast x. Also, would like for op to clarify where he has the 2 leads off ESC going into the beast x or receiver.
nynextel88 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #28
Rustynail
Registered Users

I used to have a align 500 with an Airtronics radio system and I would lose signal onece a flight sent it in for a firmware update, got it back same thing. I got on the airtonics forum and threw a small fit. A gentlemen T Moore asked about my antenna routing, I had them running up the boom supports. He said to change them. I thought for sure he was just reaching for straws. NOPE he was 100 percent correct after changing them to 90 degrees from each other no problems since.
Rustynail is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #29
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynail View Post
NOPE he was 100 percent correct after changing them to 90 degrees from each other no problems since.
Antenna routing was the first suggestion made, and the OP assured us that they were routed 'as per the manual' and orientated at 90 degrees.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #30
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

Quote:
In the OPs case I believe he will benefit from having one power lead into his JR receiver, and one lead (ESC - throttle) into beast x. Also, would like for op to clarify where he has the 2 leads off ESC going into the beast x or receiver.
Personally I would route both leads to the FBL. That way the power is 'going in' closer to the devices that have 99% of the demand (the servos) thus reducing voltage loss that occurs through having extra connectors in the higher current part of the circuit. The Rx needs only a few milliamps and can easily draw that through the leads that connect it to the FBL.

In reality though I'm sure it really makes no significant difference providing both leads are connected to 'something' and at least one goes to the FBL.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
mr magoo
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

i had the throttle lead into receiver and bec lead into micro beast. one thing I did notice after taking it all apart is the bec lead is not very tight on the pins

I mentioned this to a guy in my club and he's found that his cc esc bec lead is also not very tight.

all the micro beast lead that came with the kit are a lot tighter and so is the throttle lead.

checks your and let me know if you have a difference.
mr magoo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #32
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

The BEC and throttle connector are identical and should fit the same (tight).. If your is loose then the plug has probably been 'wrenched' sideways thus opening up the female connectors inside the plug. You may be able to tighten them by taking the individual female connectors out from the plastic plug and 'nipping' them slightly (and very carefully) with pliers to make for a tighter fit.

Also why is the throttle lead into the receiver? Surely that should be plugged into the Microbeast?

PS whereabouts in Scotland are you?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #33
Rustynail
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Grumpy_Old_Man;7214976]Antenna routing was the first suggestion made, and the OP assured us that they were routed 'as per the manual' and orientated at 90 degrees.

Sometimes one might say whatever to satisfy this forum his pictures showed a different story. I have ingnored this advice before because I "knew better"
Old 12-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #34
mr magoo
Registered Users

Grumpy old man, the throttle lead goes into receiver bec to the micro beast. see pic's from manual.. I'm in fife

Rustnail the reason for the receive cable not be a 90 is that I had been checking all the cables for any form of nicks or beaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161216_181907.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	684421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161216_181922.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	684422  
Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
rhodesengr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

even though your BEC's power-only line seems loose, I think it is unlikely you had a power drop out. You had your Throttle plug to you RX and then you must of had several cables between the RX and the BX. I'm not sure how many of those are full 3-wire line but probably more than one, so that would have kept power to the BX.

Hopefully you know how to solder so by all means replace the loose connector. I know some guys like to build connectors with crimping pins and all but I don't mess with that. Since servo extensions are cheap, I just cut them in half with the length of wire I want and splice the three wires (solder and cover with heat shrink). So I never have to actually build the connector.

Still think you should get a new RX and go single line.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #36
Rustynail
Registered Users

I know it doesn't always seem clear here but we're all just trying to help. No need to justify to me what your doing. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #37
mr magoo
Registered Users

rhodesengr what the benefit of going xbus.

one thing that I found when looking for fault was after wiggling the stick the micro beast power went off
Old 12-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #38
rhodesengr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well if wiggling the stick caused your power to go off then either you have a bad BEC or a bad connection in power connections.

xbus or other single line RX connection gives you the ability to connect more channels without more wires. If you want to use the Rescue feature, you need to connect seven channels and the the Microbeast does not have enough ports to allow seven channels to connect on separate cables from the RX. I think if you use the the Gov in the Microbeast you need yet another channel.

For Rescue, there is a way to use the tail gain channel to control both tail gain and Rescue but it is better (and simpler) to have Rescue on its own channel. You need a single line connection for that.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #39
BladesinMD
Registered Users

Default Update?

Was the cause to the OP's issue discovered? Solution?

I am building a 550X now with the ESC hooked up in the same way, though in my case I am using a DX8-G2 and an AR8800 RX with satellite...

My MB is installed in the same manner as well. Any heads up for potential problems with this setup would be welcome as this is my first build coming from a multitude of Blade BNF products...
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #40
rhodesengr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesinMD View Post
I am building a 550X now with the ESC hooked up in the same way, though in my case I am using a DX8-G2 and an AR8800 RX with satellite.....
Hopefully you mean an AR7700. I refer you back to Post #7 and this other thread
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=763120

Granted I have not flown my 550X a lot due to weather and other projects but I've had zero issues with mine. I do not think it was ever clear what was the root cause of the OP's issue. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just build yours. The 550X kit went together about as well as any other I have worked on. If you've never built from a kit before, you are going to have to learn how to do setup. The instruction cover assembly but not setup. This is typical of all RC stuff. You will need a digital pitch gauge like an RCLogger or equivalent and a swash leveling tool. The You should consider going to rchelicopterfun.com and buying at least these two ebooks.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-tips.html
and especially this one
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/swashplate-setup.html

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.