Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
JPCOPter
Registered Users

Default New pilot from LI, NY just ordered 2 to start

Hey everyone!
A recent amazon shopping spree resparked my interest in RC Helis
and seeing how affordable they are i took the plunge!

When i was younger i always wanted one but was content with the RC Cars. Sold my only rc left (a nitro tmax) a couple years ago and i think i'm ready for a new rc experience.

Got the Syma 107 ordered and before it gets here (probably because of the 5 hours of research looking at these) i just couldn't help buying another more advanced heli so i got the XK K110 RTF for $80 on tomtop.

I notice there was a lot of talk about using the same radio for multiple helis but it seems like theres a lot of compatibility issues.

Any suggestions on what heli i could move up to and use the radio from the XK? 200-450 size range.

I was considering getting the walkera master cp to start but chose the XK because i could do some practice with it indoors.

Also interested in a cheap training sim before i try anything fancy.

Can't wait to get started

Last edited by JPCOPter; 01-01-2017 at 01:50 PM..
JPCOPter is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
JPCOPter
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, 5 hours after posting it finally showed up even after all the puzzle piece captchas i still apparently needed a admin to approve my post
Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Wargamer
Registered Users

Welcome to HF! It can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week or more for a mod to give you full privileges so you don't have to worry about captcha and mod review on every post. It's an effective way to keep out advertising and bots, so hang in there and keep posting.

On transmitters...

The Syma uses IR and only has a range of 20-30 feet. It's an indoor heli only, unless it's dead calm, and walls/furniture block the signal.

The k110 uses Futaba's S-FHSS protocol. If you want to stick with Futaba, you certainly can - it's a solid brand. Just know that particular transmitter has park flyer range, so it's good for a few hundred yards at most. If you eventually get to something much larger at a serious flying field, you will absolutely need a better Tx.

There are many other brands, with different strengths and price points. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

On helis...

The Syma is fine for getting started indoors...

The k110 can be flown indoors, but I wouldn't recommend that you try until you've mastered a solid tail-in hover and use of throttle hold outdoors. With the BL motor, it has enough power that you are likely to break something (on the heli) when hitting a wall, cabinet or table leg.

Larger helis are a lot of fun. I would wait until you are at least totally comfortable with a tail-in hover on the k110 in 3-axis (full collective) mode. The k110 will not normally take damage when crashed on grass, especially once you've mastered throttle hold. Anything larger will take damage every time you crash it. If you want to stick with BNF/RTF, the Blade 230s is a great option. If you want to build a kit, there are a ton of options.

On flying...

Learning to fly a heli starts with learning to hover in all orientations. See the videos here for a great programmed training routine: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
Your k110 is a collective pitch heli, which means it can do pretty much anything a larger heli can do. Start out in 6-axis mode, though, as that will be much easier. (Although still rather more difficult than the Syma.)

On sims...

There are quite a few options: Realflight 7.5 and Phoenix are probably the main ones. neXt and AccuRC also. Clearview is a budget sim. And Heli-X has a free demo version that includes their great hover training module, although I could never get it to recognize all channels on the k110's transmitter. I have Phoenix and Heli-X, and prefer the latter.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
yakky
Registered Users

I got started with the Syma S107, fun toy, you can pass it on to someone to share the addiction, but as posted, you'll get bored quick. I brought mine to work and recruited quite a few junkies.

The 230s is a great next step. After that, take a breather and think about a kit you'd like to build. The Align 470LP kit is a great jump from that or something like an Oxy 3 Sport if you need something smaller.

As far as radios go, look up the Devo Deviation Project. With a few mods you can fly just about anything. The Devo 10 is a fantastic radio at a great price.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
JPCOPter
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking more at the sims now, How is the clearview one?
It looks like xheli and that both have free versions. It's not clear exactly how much more you can do in the free clearview.

Also i'm looking at controller adapters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RC-Simul...YAAOSwHaBWl899

Would this be all i need? You said you had problems binding all channels, will this be an issue for me or will all the necessary inputs work to learn properly?

I've got about a .25 mile of potato field at the end of my property and i think i can safely fly some larger helis at home.

The syma i plan to just to let my wife fly, i don't think she has the patience or dexterity to learn a cp, it was her that started my interest because she said there was some new star wars lazer tag figher planes (they are drones with model bodies) they looked cool but for 200 each a bit pricey.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
JPCOPter
Registered Users

I continued looking at sims and found xbox controller mentioned.

Got xbox and ps3 controllers so i hooked up a xbox 360 one and got the stick controls working with the heli-x demo.

Is there a way to set up the thottle hold or other key buttons ill need?

So far messed with it for 20 min and it seems very touchy, i'm not sure if its the controller or nature of the beast. it seemed easier to pull off barrel type rolls than to sit and hover precisely, and i haven't touched the rudder control much yet (that made things crazy )
Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
JPCOPter
Registered Users

Spent about 1.5 hours in sim now, finally have a good feel for it and mastered tail in hover. xbox controller sticks don't center as well as id like and there is a little fight against that. I'm hoping a real radio is a bit nicer.

This heli x program is really nice and a lot more than i was expecting out of a demo, definitely saved me a new heli in parts by now
Old 12-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
JPCOPter
Registered Users

I got the syma in the mail today, it's fun but quite a bit different than my sim experience. Glad im getting a cp as i enjoy having more control over the heli.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
yakky
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCOPter View Post
Spent about 1.5 hours in sim now, finally have a good feel for it and mastered tail in hover. xbox controller sticks don't center as well as id like and there is a little fight against that. I'm hoping a real radio is a bit nicer.

This heli x program is really nice and a lot more than i was expecting out of a demo, definitely saved me a new heli in parts by now
A real controller will make it a bit easier, they are much more sensitive around center. You can also tweak your expo (and other settings) to make it more life like to you.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
ic-racer
Registered Users

Quote:
Got the Syma 107 ordered
I just started last June. Coaxial heli like that is good to start. For me the jump to a single rotor fixed pitch was not not insignificant. Likewise the jump from there to a collective pitch was big. Though, even last June the six-axis helis were not as popular, I didn't have any. If I were to do it again, I'd only use the "6-axis" heli after the Coaxial. Which I see you have chosen, in the K110.

BTW I only got my first "6-axis" heli 2 weeks ago (HCP60) and it really does fly as stable as a coaxial. Which is amazing for a collective pitch heli of such small size.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
HateTheDrake
Registered Users

Lol, your start sounds about like mine. Picked up symas for the kids and naturally had to demo before Christmas. It was fun for a bit, but gets boring. ,,and can't handle anything outside h less it's dead calm.

I'm glad to hear someone else got the k110 tomtop deal as well. Ordered last night along with some spare parts from banggood.

Now I'm going to have to try my Xbox controller... Didn't even think of it.

I'm also looking forward to the radio to sim and possibly use for multiple models until I'm ready for a spektrum/blade 230s leap..

Keep us posted on the k110!
HateTheDrake is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
Wargamer
Registered Users

I'll be interested to hear what you guys think of the XBOX controller (or PS3) on a simulator. While they do technically have sticks, I suspect they will feel very different from a transmitter. Keep us posted.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
HateTheDrake
Registered Users

You know, my wired xbox wasn't half bad, as opposed to not having anything.

The sticks are short and am not sure they center well. I also had to tone down the sensitivity some, though I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with the settings. Still confused on most of it.

The kids also had a go of it and did quite a few tareq-esque moves by chance. lol
HateTheDrake is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
JPCOPter
Registered Users

I tried hooking up my ps3 controller, nothing happened and i remembered they are bluetooth and only charge via usb.

It looks like wired xbox360 controller is the easiest to just plug and play.
i added about 6deg dead channel to cyclics and 12 to the rudder and that lessened my fight with the controller. Also turned the slow-mo to 50%-90 depending on what i'm doing. Slow tail rotation hovering training i use the lower end.

I'll play with the other settings to see what they do.

Both sticks are spring loaded to center where as with rc radio i believe the throttle stick is different.

Solid 4-5 hours in sim now, getting better with side hovers and movement but still feel most comfortable with tail in and able to recover most things but just have a 'yo-yo' like feeling of control

Ran about 3 charges on the syma 107 and i'm having to learn a completely different way to fly, even tho its 'easier' i feel like losing pitch control & slow input response makes it harder. you spin like a top to turn and throw a fan on to push you forward or backwards
Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Wargamer
Registered Users

Changing your flight mode configuration in Heli-X:

D/R (dual rate) cuts your servo response, so if you set DR to 50% it will feel roughly half as sensitive.

Expo (exponential) reduces the sensitivity around mid stick. Due to the geometry of standard servos, you need expo close to 20% just to get a linear response. More than that will make the response even softer at center stick.

Reducing the pitch will reduce the collective response, which can be helpful when just starting out.

And, yes, the Syma is going to feel very different. I always found that co-axials flew a bit like beached whales.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
yakky
Registered Users

Quote:
Ran about 3 charges on the syma 107 and i'm having to learn a completely different way to fly, even tho its 'easier' i feel like losing pitch control & slow input response makes it harder. you spin like a top to turn and throw a fan on to push you forward or backwards
At this point, the Syma is only really going to give you a bit of training as far as orientation, but it is probably just best passed on to someone else to share the addiction.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
Ramflames
Registered Users

Hello, are we neighbors? is LI short for Liverpool?
Ramflames is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
JPCOPter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramflames View Post
Hello, are we neighbors? is LI short for Liverpool?
Long Island

Just to update:
The Syma 107 is pretty fun, i'm able to control it pretty well but it does seem to get sucked into walls whenever you're close and the throttle is pretty sensitive to maintain a stable height. Probably bounced it off the walls, ceiling and into the floor at least a dozen times and it starts right back up fine.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
Ramflames
Registered Users

Bummer
Ramflames is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
Che Che
Registered Users

I started with 107 Suma.. But soon I wanted something that can go inverse, cutting grass etc..
And when you go there it is whole different story.. You can learn Suma (co-axial) in couple of days, weeks, but any collective pitch (only those can hover upside down etc) heli is incomparably harder to even just hover.. And it is incomparably more fun and addicting..
Che Che is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.