Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
sbnathan
Registered Users

Default 550X build questions, defective parts?

The 550X is my first build after flying Blade helis for a while. The information here has been a big help.

However, I've noticed 2 things that seem troubling:

- One arm of the main rotor head has a bit of play when I pull it out and push it in. Probably 1 mm or less. The other side is solid. In flight I wouldn't expect any movement since the weight of the spinning blade would keep it in extension, but it still seems wrong to have any slop in this area.

- The tail boom mount is made of 2 plastic pieces, and I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the two halves completely together around the front gears (furthest from where the tail boom inserts). I haven't installed it yet, so I haven't tightened the 4 screws at the other end, but when I push it together by hand to simulate what the screws would do the gear end pops open slightly. This is 1 or 2 mm, but I am concerned that the bearings on the top/bottom will have a lot of force on them, that will in turn force open the mount at that end, which would cause them to fall out.

The frame itself could help hold them together, but the carbon flexes a fair amount, and there are no other parts holding the frame together nearby.

Any help would be appreciated.
sbnathan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
ic-racer
Registered Users

Are the two bearings spaced correctly on the front umbrella gear so the bearings fit perfectly in the slots of the umbrella gear case? As I recall there are no 'stops' or marks on the gear shaft to determine the bearing location. The bearings can be quite tight on the shaft; difficult to move to the correct location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	686346  
Old 01-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
ic-racer
Registered Users

In terms of the head, there are four spindle bearing spacers of two sizes. Make sure they are all in the correct places. Double, or triple check the thrust bearing plate orientation (IN vs OUT). Basically I'd tear it down and re-do it.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
tacomaster
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
In terms of the head, there are four spindle bearing spacers of two sizes. Make sure they are all in the correct places. Double, or triple check the thrust bearing plate orientation (IN vs OUT). Basically I'd tear it down and re-do it.
I agree. Might was perfect after I put it together. 700x was too
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
npomeroy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
And... I've had cases (other Align 550 models) where the thrust bearings were not greased. Needs to be checked, necessitating de-assembly of head anyway.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
sbnathan
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I have rechecked and rebuilt from scratch the assembly several times, and it's done according to the directions. I'm certain now that only one side has the slop.

I'm fairly sure the slop is coming from the inner bearing. The inner rotating portion moves in and out slightly, more on one side than the other. That's got to be wrong. Additionally if I wedge the tip of my pinky in the inner portion of the bearing and move the outside I can feel the slightest sense of roughness. I don't feel that with the outer bearing. Now that I know to feel for it, putting everything back together the rotor holder that doesn't shift is smooth, but I can very faintly feel roughness when rotating the holder with the bad bearing.

Interestingly, according to the instructions the inner and outer bearings are the same. But on mine they look different. The inner bearing has 9 arc segments of metal just inside the outer edge (I can only see one side because I can't get the bearing out of the mount - or at least, I can't with only moderate tapping on it since I don't want to cause damage, this is slightly fishy since the outer bearing came out easily with a light tap). The bearing looks like a smaller version of the top of the main shaft bearing (the one at the top of the frame). The outer bearing has a continuous piece of metal going all around the edge, except for one small arc.

WAG here, but I think someone put the wrong bearing into the rotor holder.
I will go the the LHS I bought it from and see if they can do anything. Otherwise it looks like a new set of 4 bearings is $10 at the Align store. Hopefully I won't need a new set of holders, those are more expensive.

For my other question the tail mount is fine, I just didn't realize that because of the way it's put together bolting it into the frame is actually going to squeeze it together. Apart from the bearing issue I'm really impressed with the way this thing is put together. It's clear people have been refining this for a while, and know what they're doing.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:59 AM   #7
Thestructured
Registered Users

Others covered the blade grip issue. And check to make sure the spacers are in there.

As for the tail case, if it's not going together then it sounds like the umbrella gear is not pushed in all the way. This is a common mistake, you've gotta force that sucker in pretty hard, but make sure it's still smooth with the two bearings holding it.

The gears should be pretty easy to turn. If they're not they'll melt from the excess friction.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
MajSlayer
Registered Users

Default defective parts

My 550L had a defective part, normal for most companies, CNC machines go out of spec.

For me, my DFC main shaft had the lower hole drilled so far off it caused a horrible up and down movement on the lower auto gear. Got a new main shaft and now the auto gear runs nice and true. (wasn't me tightening the nut and bolt too much..)

I figured something was wrong when trying both spacers wouldn't allow the bolt and nut to slide in without stripping the black coating right off the bolt.

Now it just slots in and it got rid of all vibration on spool up and down.

So yeah It's quite possible a CNC servo was in need of adjustment when something on your rotor head was constructed. (happens all the time..)

Putting a hex wrench on the loose blade grip end and giving it a light tap or two, with a 5oz hammer (or whatever) helps.

But yes, you're blade grips should fit tight.(movement from the trust bearings is normal, but not right where a blade grip meets the dampeners..)

I had the same problem, got a replacement shaft, problem solved.

But if you followed the manual, and something is not right, yeah defective part(s) for sure. (sadly..)

Peace,
MajSlayer
Align 550L Dominator, Align 550X, Vigor 60 CS (O.S. 61SX-H WC), Raptor 30v1/v2, O.S. 37-SZ-H, Nexus 30-S, A.S.P .37-H, JR Ergo Z230 with Scale JR Schweizer 300, Scale Bell 222 (O.S. 61SX-H WC) X-Cell mechanics.
MajSlayer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Grumpy_Old_Man
Registered Users

As the others have said, if there is in/out play on the head (1mm is a lot!) then 99% of the time it's down to incorrect assembly. A faulty part is always possible of course but with this being your first build the most likely cause is assembly error. It's possible that the radial bearing was damaged by incorrect assembly. At this point the best option might be to see if you can find an experienced heli builder to give it a check over.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
sbnathan
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

For anyone who reads this in the future, the heli pilot who runs my LHS couldn't figure it out so he gave me a set of new bearings which fixed it.

Taking the old bearing out required multiple very hard swings with a mallet using a wooden dowel as the punch. When the bearing finally came out the dowel was splintered, and the bearing had a dent on the inside. I would guess I put the dent in the bearing, though it felt just as scratchy and rough after I knocked it out as it did before so who knows.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
ic-racer
Registered Users

Use heat to remove bearings in aluminum. Yes both the bearing and the hole get bigger but the space between them gets bigger too. One can use linear expansion coefficient to figure it out (aluminum 23ppm/degC vs bearing 10ppm/degC) or ask any redneck mechanic with a torch and a stuck bolt...

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.