Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jeff From Liverpool NY

Hello everyone,
My name is Jeff. I have been into RC cars, trucks,boats and planes for 35 years. I traded an RC short course truck, guitar and amp for an Align 550E with motor, Gyro, digital pitch gauge, 6s lipo battery and ESC. It is an older flybar unit that has never been flown. I have installed the motor. Added battery and motor connectors, mounted ESC, Installed servo horns, Bought a swashplate leveling tool. Also, I got a Receiver battery pack and switch. I will be using my Spektrum DX6i that I also use with my planes. I am Still in the process of setting it up.

Ramflames is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Jeff

Welcome to the forum.

Rick
Koopyetz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to HF. A 550 is a big heli for your first cp experience. Hopefully you're putting in sim time as you're building, and have a heli friend at your local field who is helping you.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hello,
Sim time, yes, almost everyday. Friend to help, Still looking. I had a major set back today. I was setting up the head with the receiver and servos powered up. after about an hour of being on. The three cyclic servos let out the magical smoke. I then bench tested the receiver with other, older and questionable servos. No good. Receiver died too. I just got the receiver yesterday. I call Horizon Hobby, explained everything. they are sending me a new receiver. The tech stated there most likley was a short in on of the servos or in the receiver.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH is pretty good on the service front. Stuff like that doesn't happen too often, and it's always better to find out on the ground.

I assume the servos came with the heli. One risk buying used is that you don't know what crashes the servos have been through, especially with an older heli that may have had several owners. Servos are also the component that a lot of guys are least likely to cut cost on. Since you're having to buy new, it's worth doing a little research. KST has a reputation for solid quality servos at a very reasonable price, and Turnigy has rebranded versions for slightly less. Lots of other options, but full-size servos are definitely expensive. Check classifieds as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, you are correct, with used, you never really know the condition. The guy claimed that the Heli was never flown. It does appear to be that way. the servos are a different story. When I removed them. All of the mounting tabs were broken. They were covered with aluminum brackets, there for you could not see them, and the brackets were used to actually hold the servos in place.

At the time of Nuclear melt down, there was no buzzing from any servo. the swashplate was in the middle position. No load on any servo.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sucks! Better now than in the air.

Have problems keeping the cat away from it?
I have 1 that wants to be friends with it and 2 who want nothing to do with my syma 107
JPCOPter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That pic with my cat was taken the day I brought the heli home. She was sniffing all around it. She has not gone near it since that day. Probable a good thing. Yes, it is a very good thing this did not happen while airborne. Unfortunately for me. This set back is going to keep me grounded for awhile. I have a limited budget. See, I'm 43 years old and currently disabled. I have not worked in 16 months. I do not know when I will be able to return to work and most likely will have to start a new career due to physical limitations. I have two functioning airplanes and a Monster truck that will keep me going. I obtained the Heli by trading other RC stuff. It was explained to me that the heli was complete. It just needed to be set up to my radio and the head set up needed to be complete. It came with a 6s Lipo battery, Digital pitch gauge, swahplate tool, etc. So, It is winter time here. I hate the cold and I hibernate. So, I have time to get it up and running before the weather breaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in