Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say planks can be fun.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqobmAGrvLM[/ame]

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Planks are boring, unless someone is having a dogfight. But then again, midairs are rare.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkus View Post
The equivalent of a good 3D heli for planes would be a Pro-Bro approved profile plane. These profiles are hardcore 3D and if flown correctly will get your heart rate up.

For example the ChinYak from Extreme Flight is not a beginners plane and is more on the advanced side.

For more info on heart thumping planes go to.. theprofilebrotherhood.com
Exactly. I have a 60 size profile and a smaller electric profile. They are every bit as aerobatic as any other 3D plane but much less expensive and much more durable. Once there was a Pro Bro event in my neck of the woods (Athol Bro) I was hooked. Flying a high wing trainer around = cake. Doing anything advanced takes skill and determination, just like with helicopters.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterx View Post
but when you talk about an extra or an edge, i think of a "real" extra or edge - something in excess of 70" wingspan, not foam, and not with ridiculously oversized control surfaces.
Yeah, we call those ***** extenders, because everyone who trots those giant scale gasser things out at the field are egotistic snots that we do everything in our power to ignore. On the plus side we get to see a lot of glorious expensive crashes...
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Planks want to fly, helicopters want to crash, BOTH are great fun. I started out with planks in 1974!!! Big gassers are fun, expensive and a pain in the behind to get to the field, but oh boy are they a blast to fly. Close to them is the 3D foamy aircraft, they fly like the big gassers, but at a shoestring budget, great indoors to. Electric duct fans are just as exciting, screaming speeds for only 3minutes!!

Love both!!!!
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

3D planks are great fun and very relaxing compared to helis. I can appreciate a nice scale model but have no interest in flying something short of full on 3d. I want to be limited by nothing but my abilities, then there's always something to learn or improve.

Learning stuff is definitely easier on a plank but mastering it is just as hard as on a heli, it's a totally different challenge that I'd think anyone who really likes flying should enjoy. Aerobatic flying is an art form and a plank is just a different sort of brush/pencil/etc, I think everyone should experience everything at least once.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

The plankers I fly with dont seem to work on skills. Thats what seperates helis from planks Imo. Heli's are progressive, you can be the best pilot at the field, but youll still crash because we push things. Theres a guy witha fast funjet and I got a laugh out of him naming flying 5 feet off the deck after himself. Hes the only planker at the field that will do it? I fly my 550 at near 80-90 with teh skids touching grass...
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseh View Post
Man I'm jealous! That is what I want to get if I do get a plane.
Methinks if I ever decided to get into THAT size plane......I'd just opt for a full-size Cessna 150 or Grummen T2...and go back to flight school!!!
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like planes too. EDF models are really cool and super fast!!! I have a F-86 Sabre from E-Flite. I'm scared to maiden her, even with installing a flaps mod. HK Durafly makes really cool warbirds. Great quality compared to PZ and cheaper too. I just got a Corsair. Can't wait to fly her. Building a ARF plane is fun too. Totally different from helis.
pjuran is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sold mine after a week.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly some of the Parkzone war birds, they are a great way to fill time between charging packs for the heli. During the summer, the group I fly with does combat. With sometimes up to 15 birds in the air collisions aren't a rare event. Fun to watch combat, even more fun to fly it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

The little park flyers/foamies look cool and relatively easy to fly.

Any suggestions for a good beginner foamie? Still a noob at heli's might as well be a noob as planks too!
aloys24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

jason, me thinks you are jealous. there's nothing unique about guys that fly gs, except that they have reached a point in their life where they can afford more expensive toys. and it's kind of sickening that you would delight in watching crashes of planes that represent an investment of several thousand dollars.

aloys....parkzone t 28.
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had a parkzone f-27q. That sucker would go 150+km/h!! or around 90mph for my american friends I had recently sold them all to buy my 600efl. A guy wanted to see the Q go, so i took it out and flew it for him. Sooooo boring anbeing as cool as my choppersd not even a challenge after flying my birds. I also had a electrifly Rilfe that would go 130+mph! And these guys, in my opinion are not even close to being as cool as my choppers. I never got into 3d flight because i always thought that was for the choppers, well here i am now!!!
Merse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Yeah, we call those ***** extenders, because everyone who trots those giant scale gasser things out at the field are egotistic snots that we do everything in our power to ignore. On the plus side we get to see a lot of glorious expensive crashes...
I guess up in Idaho you have some special concentration of people with poor attitudes. I know literally hundreds of giant scale aerobatics pilots and my experience has been that they are a great group of people who love to share their experience and will help new people even before being asked to.

As far as crashes go, well on top of having a concentration of people with poor attitudes it appears that you have a concurrent concentration of poorly skilled pilots. The folks I know don't crash all that often and I know guys with large planes that have lastest several seasons. Go figure.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseh View Post
I started off with helis but am wondering how many of you guys fly planes? And to be more specific, a high preformance rc air planes like a extra or other aerobatic model. Are they a blast as well or if you start off on helicopters are they not as exciting. I know this is all opinion based but was looking for different views. I kinda want to get into planks someday.
They don't have the wind handling that helis do, so I gradually lost interest in them. I still have one (a big on that you sit in when you fly it), but when the wind is 20mph+, you can't really do anything with a plank unless you're really brave and the wind is basically down the runway.

A heli, OTOH, I almost don't have to care about the winds at all, unless they're really really strong (hard to stand up, blowing things off the table, etc).

I fly my trex 700's routinely even in stuff I won't take my big plank up in...

LS
lucien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I guess up in Idaho you have some special concentration of people with poor attitudes. I know literally hundreds of giant scale aerobatics pilots and my experience has been that they are a great group of people who love to share their experience and will help new people even before being asked to.

As far as crashes go, well on top of having a concentration of people with poor attitudes it appears that you have a concurrent concentration of poorly skilled pilots. The folks I know don't crash all that often and I know guys with large planes that have lastest several seasons. Go figure.

Yeah, I have seen some real elitist bs from the giant scale crowd. Of course there are nice guys too but they are overshadowed by the snobs. Another local club had a funfly a few years back and they have a lot of IMac guys and these clowns wouldn't even talk to you if you asked them a question. They literally would turn away. So no, it isn't jealousy, I could buy one right now if I wanted to. It's the elitist bs demonstrated by so many that it turned me off to the whole regimen.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterx View Post
jason, me thinks you are jealous. there's nothing unique about guys that fly gs, except that they have reached a point in their life where they can afford more expensive toys. and it's kind of sickening that you would delight in watching crashes of planes that represent an investment of several thousand dollars.

aloys....parkzone t 28.
Yeah, I'm jealous. What makes you think I can't buy a gs plane? I don't own one for the same reason I don't run out and buy new heli kits every five minutes, because I don't need it. And no, I don't delight in seeing anything crash but when someone is such a blazing arsehole to everyone around him I feel like karma did it's job that day. I hate when people play the jealous card. I do not suffer from jealousy ever. I am happy for decent people having a good life. When someone treats me or my friends like crap all bets are off. I wish I have had the same experiences with gs plane people that others have had but unfortunately most I have experienced are jerks flying big noisy crap and bullying their way around the field and doing their best to make sure other people can't fly that day.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Yeah, I have seen some real elitist bs from the giant scale crowd. Of course there are nice guys too but they are overshadowed by the snobs. Another local club had a funfly a few years back and they have a lot of IMac guys and these clowns wouldn't even talk to you if you asked them a question. They literally would turn away. So no, it isn't jealousy, I could buy one right now if I wanted to. It's the elitist bs demonstrated by so many that it turned me off to the whole regimen.
That's not snobbery - that's just raw terror at having to put that much scratch and building effort, setup, etc into the air lol.....

That's why the guys with the Hobbico trainers and ugly sticks, etc., are so laid back....

LS
lucien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a stryker f27q about six weeks ago as my first plank. It takes same batteries as my 450, it can fly in what ever kind of wind you want, it flies very predictably and does well fast or relatively slow. I havent crashed it yet and i usually warm up my day flying it. Very relaxing. I now have a Eflite Ultimate Bipe, a 3DHS Extra and a handful of park flyers...i love my helis more but the planks are def more fun to fly then they are to watch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in