Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation so.... is the dfc head just a bad design?

I am currently running the dfc and I have heard horror stories of link failures and boom strikes ect should I just I just park my trex700 e until I can get my hands on this new head?
dbargetrex500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally!
I'm a bit worried about using the DFC main shaft though. Isn't it a bit short? The rigid no-flap design of the DFC head kind of prevents boom strikes, but this new one looks like it would allow a bit of flapping.
And are we still using the same dampeners?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also I bet the red will really clash with the color scheme on the speed fuselages.
I was thinking of getting the red/yellow one as I'd like maximum visibility.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New rotor head - align

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbargetrex500 View Post
I am currently running the dfc and I have heard horror stories of link failures and boom strikes ect should I just I just park my trex700 e until I can get my hands on this new head?
Just make sure your spindle bolts are tight your dampeners aren't worn and your ball links are straight on the swash balls and your sweet.

I own 8 dfc birds and have never blown a link off
Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbargetrex500 View Post
The big danger area with DFC is vertical play with the blade grips. (this comes from poor fit from spindle to dampers or worn dampers, again poor fit)

When the blade grips are allowed to move in the vertical plane during flight they can put massive strain on the bolt(s) holding the dfc link to the main grips, causing them to break.

I've only seen one report of this happening, so it's obviously not very prolific. I'd fly without worry, just occasionally check your head.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

I use clone DFC head made by Gartt in two 800 and 700 helis. I was not convinced DFC is good idea. I assume Align DFC head is made with better allu. I did not experience any problems with those clone heads.

Now I prefer DFC just for simplicyty. If someone is going to fly very hard maybe new head is good idea. My DFC heads work also good at low RPM. It was a bit of surprise because Goblin "DFC" head was having vibes at some low RPM range.

It is also good to have choice so plus for Align.
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC02 View Post
Ok stupid question time.

What are the benefits of this head over the DFC, I've only flown the DFC so have nothing to compare it to.

Would I see any improvements for my flying style being a scale flyer and F3C style hovering?
There's an article on "normal" heads versus the DFC approach here

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/DFC.html

It's a sensible move. DFC is one of the reasons I've avoided Align for a couple of years. I'm sure I'm not alone in that ...
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its interesting they badged it a head for the 700e and n, but not for the 800's.
I wonder if its too soft to work for the monster 800 blades ? I have an 800 pro that I'm dying to change the head on.
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach#1 View Post
Its interesting they badged it a head for the 700e and n, but not for the 800's.
I wonder if its too soft to work for the monster 800 blades ? I have an 800 pro that I'm dying to change the head on.
KDE is where you wanna go then... im just not a fan of the red accents all over the place...
TREX 700E PRO DFC w/AR7200BX
songer121 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach#1 View Post
800 DFC head is exactly the same as 700 DFC. Same part numbers.

So FBL 700 head fits Trekker and 800 PRO for sure.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatwalden View Post
There's an article on "normal" heads versus the DFC approach here

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/DFC.html

It's a sensible move. DFC is one of the reasons I've avoided Align for a couple of years. I'm sure I'm not alone in that ...
Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

They did state in that article that the DFC design is not suited for low head speeds, well I run my Trekker and my 800 Pro at 1050 rpm without any issues, no cyclic wobble whatsoever so I don't know where they got that idea from.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that I would see any benefit from changing to this new head for my flying style.
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #32 (permalink)

No problem with low RPM in my 800 with DFC head.

Servos survived heavy crash when I lost control. New servos are strong.

I do not see disadvantages of DFC anymore. I fly both FBL heads on my 450, 550, 600, 700 and DFC on 700 and 800s.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC02 View Post
They did state in that article that the DFC design is not suited for low head speeds, well I run my Trekker and my 800 Pro at 1050 rpm without any issues, no cyclic wobble whatsoever so I don't know where they got that idea from.
No doubt I'll get somebody correcting me on this, but my understanding is this ..

DFC needs hard, or no dampening because of the leverage effect that teetering/feathering would impose through the pitch links...

... but you need teetering/feathering to help stabilise the rotor head at lower head speeds, and to counteract the effects of dissymmetry of lift in FFF. Dissymmetry of lift becomes more of a problem with lower head speeds since the delta between the advancing and the retreating blade is higher.

So, DFC isn't well suited to low head speeds and works better with high RPM. But, as you say, it doesn't suddenly stop working altogether and some do fly at low head speeds.

To see if it really causes a problem, you might want to try fast forward flight with your 800 and see if you get an aileron roll tendency .. ??
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #34 (permalink)

Let me share a secret. Gartt DFC head comes preasembled. It is direct copy of Align design. I did not even see dampers in this clone head. It works perfect in three of my helis. One I dissasembled only to check how hard it is to unscrew feathering shaft bolts. I had to use propan butan burner to heat bolt.

I do not care about dampers at all after hundreds of flights of three helis. Over ten today alone. They fly like on rails no mater what RPM.

More... Those heads survived two hard crashes without scratch, one of them in 800. Crashes were caused by electronics so they were not clone kit malfunctions. Anyway I use many Align parts as a precaution.

In modern helis delivering correct voltage to avionics is crucial. That is what I learned. Two power.lines to receivern are essential to feel safe for me.

I still have some low weight 700s with one. but they did not fall in hundreds of flights.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New rotor head - align

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn666 View Post
Just make sure your spindle bolts are tight your dampeners aren't worn and your ball links are straight on the swash balls and your sweet.

I own 8 dfc birds and have never blown a link off
+1 the only thing you need to watch is the dampers. I pick mine up every flight and make sure they don't move. If they do even a touch I replace them. Only had to once in a year and a half. I still think the DFC head looks way sharper. But I do like the fact the new head won't strip servo gears.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post
+1 the only thing you need to watch is the dampers. I pick mine up every flight and make sure they don't move. If they do even a touch I replace them. Only had to once in a year and a half. I still think the DFC head looks way sharper. But I do like the fact the new head won't strip servo gears.
Where are you getting the notion that this new head prevents servo gears from stripping? It's still very possible, but maybe not as likely.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in