Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar_5 View Post
Thanks for the input

I wonder how the YS56 will do with a GP Exhaust 55 pipe, it was out before either the 55 or 56 were out, but I think it should be good
I would use the Outrage 56 pipe or the Hatori for the YS56
the YS is flat and not good w/out the right pipe
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 of the newer class engines YS56, OS55, and NR57

I have been flying on (2) YS56's Since July 09 have over 300 flights on engine 1 and nearly 300 on engine 2 another just replaced the rear bearing and ring on engine 1. Engine 2 is still going strong just like the day it was newly installed.
I consider the YS56 to be the Best So far! very consistent throughout power band excellent recovery and once you understand how to tune a YS it becomes super easy and requires very little tweaking. Bonus is It comes stock with a regulated fuel system. Which is an upgrade or a modification for others...

For my (2) OS55's While they are the market standard for easy to tune and smooth running. My time with them thus far has been less than enjoyable.
Engine 1 wasted a head gasket at less than 20 flight due to head screws coming loose. For engine 2 on flight 20ish engine was destroyed due to piston land fracturing off.... this isn't my first rodeo so engine 2 did not run lean! once these engines are worn out or break again, I will have to think what future plans will be….

I have 1 NR57 and it is good great power it likes to run a little higher RPM on a higher gear ratio such as 8.8 in velocity tunes fairly easy, it is picky on pipes for constant power. Does not make power if too fat on the needles. It does run hot in order to be consistent on power. Bonus It has a unique sound almost like a engine trying to grow up and be a 91

Please note none of these engine were free they were paid for in full! and this is my Humble opinion take it for what it's worth .0002 cents

Enjoy whatever you choose!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorworkz View Post
For my (2) OS55's While they are the market standard for easy to tune and smooth running. My time with them thus far has been less than enjoyable.
Engine 1 wasted a head gasket at less than 20 flight due to head screws coming loose. For engine 2 on flight 20ish engine was destroyed due to piston land fracturing off.... this isn't my first rodeo so engine 2 did not run lean! once these engines are worn out or break again, I will have to think what future plans will be….
On my OS55's what I do is take my heat gun and heatup the head, then tweak the head bolts prior to installing. Too many stories of similar issues with OS50's that I make this standard practice on all my motors actually, 55's, and 91's, OS, YS etc...

I do generally prefer YS though. My YS91's are strong and consistent. The new OS91HZ's though are decent, but the YS91SR has a bit more grunt on the deck.

I would have gotten the YS56, but I was too impatient. For now I'll have to be content to watch Eric fly his when he comes down to my field
Spartan RC
Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of course, now that I have 2 OS55's in my 2 Velocity 50's. Maybe I should get a 3rd Velocity 50 so I have an excuse to get a YS56 heeh!
Spartan RC
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaL View Post
I would use the Outrage 56 pipe or the Hatori for the YS56
the YS is flat and not good w/out the right pipe
Unfortunately that kind of thing would make me choose the OS55 over the YS56 if I knew I could make good power with my GP Nitropower55 pipe on one and not the other. Buying another pipe does not appeal to me!

If I don't see any reports of anyone using this pipe on a YS56 then I will probably just take the chance and get the YS anyways... though I'll fear the day I can't tune the thing and wonder if I need to buy a new pipe.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar_5 View Post
Unfortunately that kind of thing would make me choose the OS55 over the YS56 if I knew I could make good power with my GP Nitropower55 pipe on one and not the other. Buying another pipe does not appeal to me!

If I don't see any reports of anyone using this pipe on a YS56 then I will probably just take the chance and get the YS anyways... though I'll fear the day I can't tune the thing and wonder if I need to buy a new pipe.
do you already have that GP exhaust?
if you do, you may want to contact Common Sense RC and see what they have to say. Or the guys at Heliproz should know too.

I just don't want you to get they YS thinking it's going to be awesome, and for some reason it doesn't get along with your pipe and you think it's the motor then. From what I've seen/heard, the YS is very picky on the pipes it likes and doesn't like. I haven't got one, or run one myself. So I'm going on what I've been told and seen when people run them.

I do want to try one though .
Spartan RC
Old 12-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I do already own the GP Exhaust

I was at the hobby shop today, and could not resist, so I went ahead and got myself a YS 56

I will find out for myself if the GP Exhaust is good with this engine!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorworkz View Post
I have 3 of the newer class engines YS56, OS55, and NR57

I have been flying on (2) YS56's Since July 09 have over 300 flights on engine 1 and nearly 300 on engine 2 another just replaced the rear bearing and ring on engine 1. Engine 2 is still going strong just like the day it was newly installed.
I consider the YS56 to be the Best So far! very consistent throughout power band excellent recovery and once you understand how to tune a YS it becomes super easy and requires very little tweaking. Bonus is It comes stock with a regulated fuel system. Which is an upgrade or a modification for others...

I have 1 NR57 and it is good great power it likes to run a little higher RPM on a higher gear ratio such as 8.8 in velocity tunes fairly easy, it is picky on pipes for constant power. Does not make power if too fat on the needles. It does run hot in order to be consistent on power. Bonus It has a unique sound almost like a engine trying to grow up and be a 91

Please note none of these engine were free they were paid for in full! and this is my Humble opinion take it for what it's worth .0002 cents

Enjoy whatever you choose!
Charley:

What pipe are you running on the YS56? Just got one for Christmas from Helidirect.

Also, any plans on updating the bearing blocks on the Rotorworkz HFX frames? It's the one part of the frame kit that has made me nervous. The bearing retention setup is a bit iffy, and there's room for the bearings to move around in the blocks. I never felt that I could lock them down as tight as I would like, because the little bolts would snap. Other then that, I love this frame set on my TREX600 with the Scorpion Outrunner.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the midst of installing a YS56 into a Raptor.

The head is so large on this engine that it has to squeeze the frame apart as you insert it. This means the head is in quite strong contact with the frame at all times.

In theory the head should only run to around 100degC so there is no problem with melting the frames. That would need to be at least 150degC and probably up to 180deg C, however I don't know what the long term effect may be. Could be warpage or embrittlement.

The frame section at this point is too thin to think about cutting back. It would need about 2~3mm per side to give clearance.

Also, a well known point on the YS50ST was that the engine mounting requires filing to avoid contact with the crankcase. The YS56 outer dimensions of the crankcase look to be identical to the YS50 in this respect.
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebald View Post
I'm in the midst of installing a YS56 into a Raptor.

The head is so large on this engine that it has to squeeze the frame apart as you insert it. This means the head is in quite strong contact with the frame at all times.

In theory the head should only run to around 100degC so there is no problem with melting the frames. That would need to be at least 150degC and probably up to 180deg C, however I don't know what the long term effect may be. Could be warpage or embrittlement.

The frame section at this point is too thin to think about cutting back. It would need about 2~3mm per side to give clearance.

Also, a well known point on the YS50ST was that the engine mounting requires filing to avoid contact with the crankcase. The YS56 outer dimensions of the crankcase look to be identical to the YS50 in this respect.
Time to upgrade to a Vibe. ;-)
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
Time to upgrade to a Vibe. ;-)
Ain't gonna happen while there's life in the old Rappy. I love their simplicity and durability.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebald View Post
Ain't gonna happen while there's life in the old Rappy. I love their simplicity and durability.
Well, your just gonna have to find a way to make that big YS work then. LOL.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

double post due to board posting problem - please ignore
Old 12-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

The YS56 is in, I shaved a little off the frames so it is not spreading them so much.

Haha, one of the advantages of a plastic framed heli.

Now for my big BEEF!!!! The Hatori Muffler I bought is causing me grief!!

See the thread here

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...60#post1737460
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a YS56 in a Compass knight 50 3D, this bird climed like a home sick angel on a hyper and now..... i am buzzing every time i fire this thing up, the ys56 purrrss sweet the power is consistant and smooth, a flying buddy uses a west 53 engine in the same helicopter and he keeps tying to "Borrow" my ys56.

Using the hatori sab 55 pipe
Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1basejump View Post
I have a YS56 in a Compass knight 50 3D, this bird climed like a home sick angel on a hyper and now..... i am buzzing every time i fire this thing up, the ys56 purrrss sweet the power is consistant and smooth, a flying buddy uses a west 53 engine in the same helicopter and he keeps tying to "Borrow" my ys56.

Using the hatori sab 55 pipe

Awesome, I just finished putting in my ys56 a few days ago and reading your post makes me wish it was spring.
RJ79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've only had the chance to put 2 tanks through my YS56, and I am already very pleased!

Worked right away with factory settings, it was cold so I ended up richening the top end a tiny bit, but it ran VERY smooth, and starts right up, so far so good

This is in a Knight 3D with a GP Exhaust Nitro 55 pipe.