Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #61 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You mean the 500?

From the pics it looks similar in parts to a Lepton or a HDX500. Once you go away from direct servo to swash the parts count goes up.
I think a shaft drive is doable on a heli this size and would like to see that! The belt system looks very similar to a Lepton and I do hope they have increased the tail rotor RPM as the Lepton tail is underpowered.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #62 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It sure seems that way to me, but since I'm a noob, I don't know what the norm is. I will say that I successfully tore down the head over the weekend to try to eliminate a binding problem and I put it back together with only one part left over, which was a washer that I think came from where the flybar hub pivots on the shaft but I couldn't cram it back in (there's still at least one washer in each location where a flat or cylindrical surface adjoins a bearing). I know there are a ton of screws attaching the upper and lower frames and several in the tail.

BTW, the source of the binding was an apparent machining problem at the factory. The holes in the flybar hub through which the flybar passes were apparently bored out too small, which was causing the flybar to bind against the aluminum. Luckily, I have a craft file that's just the right size to fit through the holes, so I was able to bore the holes a little larger, eliminating the binding.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were on topic instead on the 500 sized heli tangent. I was referring to the Diablo. Remember the Diablo? This thread is about the Diablo. (Sorry, I had Alice's Restaurant go through my head as I was typing this.) But, you're right: that 500 has a ton of parts. It reminds me of one of those intricate sci-fi spacecraft.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Yeah Bob i was referring to the 500. I guess ive been spending too much time eyeballing the mikado. Why dont we see more direct servo to swash type setups in the larger helis ? Is it just a space issue or is there some advantage ?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for going off topic again-
There is an ongoing argument about if the direct to swash in 500+ size heli's will kill more [expensive] servos in crashes when compared to the "proven" ball crank method. This is our first in-house 500 heli design in partnership with our overseas factory so anything can change in future revamps. We are still looking at possibly making a blown up 500-550 version of the RCT-450 Diablo/SkyShark design, which I personally think would be cool.

We also just finish a very nice 500 size exotic in partnership with SJM in Taiwan. It has a very novel design much like the very agile SJM400 with a floating upperslung flybar - - just BIGGER. More info: http://www.rc-tek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65

Regards,
Scott
Scott_RC-TEK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bum,
It should be noted you purchased the earlier version B-Stock heli. Even though your head is the current version, the reported machining issue in the flybar washout hub you experienced should not be seen/experienced in the latest inventory. Regardless, it is good you are sharing your experiences and your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_RC-TEK View Post
Hi Bum,
It should be noted you purchased the earlier version B-Stock heli. Even though your head is the current version, the reported machining issue in the flybar washout hub you experienced should not be seen/experienced in the latest inventory. Regardless, it is good you are sharing your experiences and your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
I understand from whomever posts under the handle "RC-TEK" in the RC-Tek forums (it didn't seem like your writing style and I noticed that you use the same handle there as here) that Finless had a similar problem with his heli, which was also from the same production run. I'm not upset at all and, in fact, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment to have actually improvised a solution.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, there are 3 people (John, Abby, and myself) that have access to the RC-TEK log-in there. Sometimes I pop in under my name or the main admin name. That is good; you're learning, finding solutions, and providing good feedback. Nothing wrong with that. :-)

Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Scott just fyi the bell crank method does not mean you will save servos. Ask me how I stripped a metal gear servo in my first Lepton EX crash? It all depends how you go in and how it effects the servos. But there are many considerations to a design and forces on the output shaft of a servo NOT just crashes!

Take a look at Rotorworkz Trex600 HFX frames which are a after market frame for the Trex600. Direct servos to swash that is a proven to work design. It's direct because Charlie used a design that supports the output shaft of the servo thus not requiring push pull bell cranks!

So it all depends on what servo you want to support on the 500.... If mid sized servos (like the Lepton) then bell cranks or a way to support the output shaft like the HFX frames will be required. However for this size heli if your going to support full sized servos then direct to the swash will work and you dont need to support the output shaft. At least I dont think it would be required!

Scott, add me to your design team or at least be a reviewer before you go to production bud and I will help you out for free.... In the end all I care about is getting a heli out that works! You got nothin to loose right?
Wont be the first time my reccomendations to you were cut into production right

Bob
Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have any CAD software experience?? We are actually looking for another design engineer. Haaa...

The current RCT-500 is built around Futaba 9650 use.

Scott-
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes actually I do BUT I dont have the time to do CAD work for you... I got too much on my plate. But CAD "does not a heli make". I am offering experience and what works FOR FREE....

Up to you my friend.

Bob
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be contacting you.

Scott
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Yes I prefer no bellcranks gets rid of all the stuff
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #73 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Just duct tape the servos to the motor and call it a day :o
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #74 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFG View Post
Just duct tape the servos to the motor and call it a day :o

Yea duck tape and shoe goo!

Thats funny

Bob
Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #75 (permalink)

Talking goo

Hey. I love shoe goo.
tweekie1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #76 (permalink)

Hey Finless, did you get your Logictech LTG-2100T gyro on your Diablo setup first in rate mode? Kyle set mine up at the Funfly in rate mode, and it works freaken awesome now. Rock solid tail to the left and right. Though took some tweaking moving the servo mount to the right spot to find the no drift zone while in hover.

Can the 401 be setup the same way?

I need somebody like Jason to fly my heli hard to see if he likes the way the Logictech handles before I totally abandon my other 401. As it is now, its got me sold!!!
brovic777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #77 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

For the first test with this gyro no I did not. I just centered it and centered the pitch slider. It worked OK but didn't feel right. Then later I set it up properly like my video on the 6100T.

Even though I show new people on the 401 to set up the "easy way" by just centering everything the real truth is the 401 should also be set up rate mode too for best performance. BUT on a Trex450 doing so will limit you because of the geometry of the tail design. The 401 only has one limit pot so if you set up rate mode you cant get full deflection in one direction and has you know the Trex needs all the tail control it can get. The 2100 you can set the limit on each side so setting rate mode works.

Bob
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #78 (permalink)

How cab I get one of Fireup's swash height tools that you use on your Diablo revies?

Thanks,

Hover16
hover16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover16 View Post
How cab I get one of Fireup's swash height tools that you use on your Diablo revies?

Thanks,

Hover16
Send him a PM
skycam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover16 View Post

Thanks,

Hover16
I provided a source in my response to the thread you started in the Main Forum area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in