Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Any swash news?

Any news on MSH making an improved swash? I'd love to get something better. The one that came with my kit is quite seriously the sloppiest swash I have ever seen on any brand of heli. I can't help but feel it's what is keeping me from getting the heli as locked in as I'd prefer...

Thanks

-David
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The new swashplates are available, and they are MUCH better. Contact your dealer to see if you can get a replacement.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Will do, thanks

-David
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a part number for the new tighter swash or is it the same as the old one?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Is there a part number for the new tighter swash or is it the same as the old one?
MSH has never changed part numbers for revised versions of the parts. I can't imagine them doing it this time either.

Here's a pic showing the swashes. New on the left, old on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swashes.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	230973  
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
The new swashplates are available, and they are MUCH better. Contact your dealer to see if you can get a replacement.
get a replacement
or
buy a replacement ?
I prefer the way , where i will change my old swashplate for improved one.
krtek2k is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In my opinion, anyone who received a sloppy swash should get a free replacement. It's ridiculous for such a high-end heli to ship with a swash that has more slop than a $5 clone part. However, there has been basically no communication from MSH about the new swash (at least not that I've seen), or what their policy is for replacement so it would seem it's every man for himself.

I think this is about the only criticism I have for MSH, and that's how they handle improved parts. They don't change the part numbers and there's not much in the way of notifications to existing customers about it either.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that the dealer from whom I purchased my Mini Protos (ElektroRC.com) handled my swash replacement without issue. Pete emailed to say he had it, and asked if I wanted to order anything else to go with it (I did, in fact). Kudos to Pete for being a stand up guy. I sure hope he didn't pay for it out of his pocket!

Last edited by JustPlaneChris; 06-01-2011 at 10:11 AM..
JustPlaneChris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My kit came with the new swash plate but its sloppy as well.
jaron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It has the new shape as shown in the photos?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it's the new shaped swash plate and the slackness is bigger than tolerable - in my opinion. The kit is less than two month old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	miniprotos_new_swashplate.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	231763  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron View Post
Yes, it's the new shaped swash plate and the slackness is bigger than tolerable - in my opinion. The kit is less than two month old.
I'm wondering if tightening the swash bearing inner race clamping ring on your new one would cure the issue (if it is the same issue as on the old swash...poor inner ring 'clamping'). The "I see better than you do" camera took a pic of my example of the new swash, and it looks like there are wrench marks on the three tabs, so I would assume that this is a threaded piece. The tough part is getting some sort of tool to engage the tabs, probably would be easier if it had 4 tabs and then you could use some needle nose pliers better on the ring. But it might work ok even with the offset to tighten it...you might want to experiment to see if you can turn it if that is the issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	231946  
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks like the clamping ring sits tight on the inner race. There is no urgent need for me to fix the problem but I'd buy an new swash plate if I knew that it is slop free.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

... i replaced the swash yesterday - but not for to be to sloopy as new, but after 317 flights, or about 23 hours flighttime, pseudo-3d-style...

... iīve got the new swash-style (left side on the foto below), and it seems to be without any tolerance, ... i was used to the feeling with the old swash, but with the new, i felt, i got a new heli...

... so let us see further after another 300 flights more...

macem
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0177.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	235414   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0178.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	235415  
macem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Anything else?

Maybe off topic - sorry - but macem, how is everything else holding up after 300+ flights? Any other parts you've replaced? Bearings holding up?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
... i replaced the swash yesterday - but not for to be to sloopy as new, but after 317 flights, or about 23 hours flighttime, pseudo-3d-style...

... iīve got the new swash-style (left side on the foto below), and it seems to be without any tolerance, ... i was used to the feeling with the old swash, but with the new, i felt, i got a new heli...

... so let us see further after another 300 flights more...

macem
rotorsup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorsup View Post
Maybe off topic - sorry - but macem, how is everything else holding up after 300+ flights? Any other parts you've replaced? Bearings holding up?

Thanks
... doenīt matter, cause itīs a very short answer: realy nothing had to be replaced... the swashplate is the first part. i never had that long time without replacements at a heli before ...

macem

ps: ... next i likely have to check/replace the (MSH41027) washout control arms, they seem to get a little bit slopy now, for the plastic-screw-threads... and than either the bearrings of the tailrotor bladeholders or the bladeholders themselfs... or the tailbox - but only for the plastic-mounting (incl. bearrings) of the tail pitch lever, it seems to become weaker.... but no hurry at all
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by macem View Post
ps: ... next i likely have to check/replace the (MSH41027) washout control arms, they seem to get a little bit slopy now, for the plastic-screw-threads... and than either the bearrings of the tailrotor bladeholders or the bladeholders themselfs... or the tailbox - but only for the plastic-mounting (incl. bearrings) of the tail pitch lever, it seems to become weaker.... but no hurry at all

... i have to revise myself

after 370 flights, i had not to replace the (MSH41027) washout control arms (as i mentioned above), but the MSH41021 Washout hub itself!!

it was only a little bit sloopy on the main spindle... but this caused some instability esp on some powerfull negative-pitch-actions...

the difference now with the new one is enormous

macem

so let me resume: the two first parts i had to replace were: after 300 flights the swashplate, after 370 flights the washout-hub.what i said before: i never had that long time without replacements at a heli before ...
Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got a new kit today and it has the old style swash..It does seem ok at first glance but after reading this thread i'm a little concerned..Where all the old style swash's sloppy or did they get sloppy real fast?.If that is the case i will see about getting one of the newer style swashplates right away.Is it the up/down motion of the inner swash that has or gets the slop?..Thanks
xv-townboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got a kit two weeks ago, has a new swash.

( On a side note: It did not come with the pinion adapter for "old" short motor shafts, nor did it come with the ball link reamer tool the manual described. )
kjoer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoer View Post
Got a kit two weeks ago, has a new swash.

( On a side note: It did not come with the pinion adapter for "old" short motor shafts, nor did it come with the ball link reamer tool the manual described. )
I bought my second mini from pete at elektro rc about a month ago. I think I got his last bare bones kit he had at the time. What great service he has. Absolutely first rate. Anyway's mine came with the new swash and it is tight with no slop. Almost to tight ! But I am sure it will break in no problem. I also did not get the motor adapter because they are no longer included in the kits now that all new motors come with the long shaft but I bought the 6s 1300kv motor at the same time. What is bothersome a bit is no reamer was found in the kit. Not a major issue but the manual says included reamer HA!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You should contact your vendor and request the ball reamer, because you will need it. The links are tight and need to be reamed for a good fit, especially in the tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in