Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Belt issue

Okay, let me know if this has been an issue for anyone else. During spool down, I noticed that the blades came to a rapid stop that didn't seem normal. I found that my belt had turned over on the main gear. I'm glad I landed when I did. It was close to complete failure. Little black specks of belt were scattered throughout the heli. Was this due to improper belt tension?

Stu
1157 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

~Stu, it has NOT happened to me , but i would say the tension of the belt played a part in it. if it was to loose the gears would have "eaten" the teeth of the belt ( black specs ) also the belt could have slid off the guides causing it to flip over.. hard to say for sure with out seeing and being there. what i DO know is you want a good tension not sloppy loose but not to tight. also keep the belt well lubed with a silicone ( i use a spray. spay it into a cap then use an eye dropper )or just soak the belt in a cap full ..

was there any unwanted tail movement?? i'd think if the belt had problems you'd see it in the tail?

Last edited by kevinbattista; 06-09-2010 at 12:05 AM..
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Stu I've had that "belt flip" happen on my Cypher twice in the past. I run the belt as lose as possible. The belt was worn some in both instances...teeth weren't nice and sharp and the edges had "fuzzies" all along it. I put a new belt on, [sprayed with silicone], lubed the guide pulleys with oil, and was good to go.

Chris
maddog57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog57 View Post
Stu I've had that "belt flip" happen on my Cypher twice in the past. I run the belt as lose as possible. The belt was worn some in both instances...teeth weren't nice and sharp and the edges had "fuzzies" all along it. I put a new belt on, [sprayed with silicone], lubed the guide pulleys with oil, and was good to go.

Chris
~Chris, this happened two times on you and you STILL run the belt loose ?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, not as lose a I used to run it. I've since tensioned it up some but it's still on the lose side. Guess cuz that's what I've read from lots here on the Freak. On my Atom 500 the belt needs to be lose enough to where you can just barely hear the belt flop around inside the tail boom. I know ... it doesn't seem right, but that's how it runs.

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

wow, that is weird... I work with big mach's that are shaft , gear and, belt driven. usually "flapping loose" is a big no no ( keeping in mind the Big mach's run ALOT faster and usually 24/7 ) .. ...you dont get any play in the tail with a loose belt on your Atom 500 ?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, haven't had the Atom in the air yet, just need to set-up the gyro. Should try 'er out this weekend, so I'll see how the tail works with the belt lose as per Finless' vid of the Atom build.
I'm not at all used to running belts lose either. I've been in the electrical/industrial maintainence field close to 30 yrs and as you say, Kevin, lose ANYTHING on big, fast moving machinery just doesn't fly. But I can see the good in lose belts on helis. I think I had mine too lose, causing the flip. After the 2nd time, I adj'd the tension and haven't had a flip since.

Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well let me know how it goes with the ATOM
maybe i'll re~check my belt tension before i'm done puttin it back together... still waitin on a main shaft
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do not forget to lube the belt from time to time with some silicon spray. I run as loose as I can with out any slipping. I have not had a belt roll over on me yet. I have had them shear and drop from the helicopter while I was fling. That is a hard way to find out 450 sized helicopters do not auto that well.

Dru.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK Kevin... took my Atom up today. Scared the " b-jesus" outta me. Had to land 1/2 way into the first pak. I was litterally shaking !! Anyway, the tail worked great with the belt as lose as it is. 'Course I was only hovering around trying to get a feel for it. Now the wind has picked up, so if possible I'll try again later.

My appology to Stu for hi-jacking your thread. I know this isn't a Compass forum.

Chris
Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No worries, Chris. Glad to hear about your Atom.

Stu
1157 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog57 View Post
OK Kevin... took my Atom up today. Scared the " b-jesus" outta me. Had to land 1/2 way into the first pak. I was litterally shaking !! Anyway, the tail worked great with the belt as lose as it is. 'Course I was only hovering around trying to get a feel for it. Now the wind has picked up, so if possible I'll try again later.

My appology to Stu for hi-jacking your thread. I know this isn't a Compass forum.

Chris
Old 06-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What, a thread being hijacked in this forum, say it is not so!! It has to be the end of the world as we know it

I thought it was the Cypher \ ************ (input name ) forum

Dru
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MOM.. Dru's pickin' on me !!

Chris
Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

See this is why we are the best group out there. Something like that in another thread they would have had to lock it.

OK I will go for a 10 minute time out in the corner

Dru.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
See this is why we are the best group out there. Something like that in another thread they would have had to lock it.

OK I will go for a 10 minute time out in the corner

Dru.

dont know much about forums since this is my first "forum site" but... what ya meen "lock it" not ALL forums are as cool as OURS??
Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kevin, there are a few other places were the people do not play nice. If some one would joke with another person like Chris and I did. There would be lots of flame wars going on. It wold end up with people doing insults to each other and the MOD would lock the thread.

There area few places I do not post on any more. They always put you down if you are not flying the UBER digital servos, flavor of the month motors and never ever say anything about batteries. You are asking to get flamed.

So, some of the other boards are not as cool as we are.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
Kevin, there are a few other places were the people do not play nice. If some one would joke with another person like Chris and I did. There would be lots of flame wars going on. It wold end up with people doing insults to each other and the MOD would lock the thread.

There area few places I do not post on any more. They always put you down if you are not flying the UBER digital servos, flavor of the month motors and never ever say anything about batteries. You are asking to get flamed.

So, some of the other boards are not as cool as we are.

oh, i see. well if you ask me, wich you didnt but i'll tell ya anyway... flyin helis is like riding a motorcycle.. dont matter what ya ride as long as you're ridin ! sooo... dont matter what ya fly as long as you're flyin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in