Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way, I haven't attempted to fly the blade yet either. I know I am not at that level yet. I have just wound it up a few times in place, it has never left the ground with me behind the sticks.
huntxtrm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW! Just cracked open the book to my transmitter! That's gonna take some time to learn! All sorts of settings and adjustments. Any Tips? Its a Flysky FS TH9X. Cheapy, but reviews say it's a real good transmitter. It is a 2.4 ghz. ?
Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humm I don't think that transmitter will bind with anything spektrum made from what I'm reading. I would have suggested getting the spektrum dx6i, that's what I have, 10 model memory and does everything you will need plus some, plus will bind with any spektrum receiver based product like the blade BNF's etc. The MCPX is a LOT smaller than the blade CP, an order of magnitude smaller in fact. Since you don't have a spektrum radio you could just go with the RTF version of the MCPX it's not much more than the Bind and Fly and comes with a dx4e transmitter designed specifically for the mcpx. Just go to youtube and search for mcpx or go to horizonhobby.com and look at it there. amazing little bird. Even the msrx is tempting even though it's fixed pitch, it's even smaller than the mcpx and will do everything except 3d flying. Flybarless is the way to go in any case, some day I'll likely pick up a blade 450x flybarless setup but that's a while off! I plan to build out my airplane collection a bit more, I have a few ultra micro's from parkzone and they just released the UMX Beast 3d which is probably going to be my next addition. I'm looking at my christmas tree right now and next to it in huge giftwrapped glory is a brand new Parkzone T28 Trojan, can't wait to get that baby up in the air! Hope you have a nice holiday!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ugh flew heli today and new belt tail bearing failed, tail housing basically melted. Yay. Will have to see if hobby people will help me out since tail is brand new from them as part of the belt conversion kit.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's no good news! I bought the same conversion. Did the bearing lock? Or just way overheat? Cant remember if it was a sealed bearing or not?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really no way to know, just know it seized up because it melted the plastic on the tail and came completely unseated. I emailed Hobby People to see if they will send me replacement parts since it's clearly a defective bearing to blame. Luckily I wasn't off the ground so there was no crash or further damage.

Tom
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started a new thread for my build up. Just didn't want to highjack your thread, even though we seem to be alone? I put up some pics. And im working on getting one of those mcpx choppers.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just made all the connections on mine, and ran it up a little to make sure everything is spinning the right way. That tail rotor turns some RPM's! Is that why most of the newer ones have a bigger drive gear on top of the main gear for the tail rotor? To reduce RPM's? Might be why it failed so quick. Early design, they didn't have the bugs out yet? Just wondering.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, tail rotor should spin quickly, bearing failure is probably due to defective bearing. Make sure if you are brushless that you KEEP THE THROTTLE DOWN like around 50% at the top of your curves!

Tom
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

So your saying to limit my throttle to no more than 50% in the transmitter settings? At the full throttle position? It cant handle the rpm's? That a brushless puts out?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

You got it exactly. There is a tool you can use to measure head speed and dial it in exactly, but I don't have one...

Tom
Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked up the mini titan e325 today and a brushless motor for it, 125 bucks out the door for BOTH and it's a nice motor not a cheapie. I'll be moving the electronics off the shogun platform shortly. Did hear back from Hobby People and they are sending me a new tail conversion kit and I added blades to the order since I don't have a good set. Maybe someday I'll get the shogun back in the air, but the mini titan is SO much bigger and will be a much better platform so I'm not wasting any more time/money on the poor old shogun! Good luck!

Tom
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shogun is still in play, mini titan needs bigger motor and probably new ESC, given that I may keep the shogun functional and build out the mini titan in parallel. Since I'm getting new parts from hobby people on the way, the shogun is much closer to flying again than the mini titan. I'll probably be around for a bit it looks like!

Tom
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Anyone still flying their shogun/zoom?
I just finished building mine guys. I built it one part at a time. I ordered all my parts from cnc heli. I thought I was the only one...lol It is my favorite heli.
Cheryl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
LOL
Looking at a blade 400 at another hobby store nearby, they are trying to liquidate it as it's the floor model, it's RTF and they want 300 for it, I'm trying to get just the heli for 200 since I already have a dx6i,
Tom
If you can get the blade 400 for three hundred you can sell the dx6i for 125 to 150 on ebay. A blade 400 for 150.00 is a great price....
Cheryl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow nice looking bird, you can hardly call it a shogun with all that blinged out upgrade goodness! The Blade 400 was ultimately sold before I could make an offer, so my new project is a thunder tiger mini titan e325. I was originally going to cannibalize my shogun and move the electronics over to the titan, but now I'm thinking I may just build it out in parallel. We'll have to see how things go I guess, lots of other new toys to play with, just upgraded my mcpx to brushless so we'll have to see what I have time for... Either way welcome to the club!

Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked up a broken mini titan e325 on ebay with electronics for $150, that should give me everything that I need to get my new e325 in the air, and leave the shogun functional! Best of both worlds!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

any body needs parts i have 2 bnib shogun 400's i can sell cheap
soupy01833 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really, how did you end up with 2 NIB Shogun's? You aren't too far from me LOL, where do you fly? What are you flying now?

Tom
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

i fly align 450 500 and 600.
i bought these awhile back and never assembled them.
staying with the big stuff now
soupy01833 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in