Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Why I put my tail servo back in the frame

Like many others, I was lured in the concept of hanging the tail servo on the tail boom. It did not take to long until I saw the error of my ways.

After two crashes and two destroyed tail servos, I realized Ark had it right when they put the servo within the protection of the frame.

Protecting the servo is not the only reason not to hang it on the tail boom. There are these other two reasons:

1) It shifts the center of gravity (CG) back.
2) It raises the polar moment of inertia.

I had to extend my battery tray in order to mount my battery farther forward. This is totally because I could not get my CG under the main mast with battery held next to the frame. Hanging a servo out on the tail boom exacerbates this problem.

Raising the polar moment of inertia is really bad in helicopters. It will take more energy to start and stop the rotation of the heli about the main shaft.

For me, there is no advantage to putting the tail servo on the boom and there are disadvantages to doing so.

jrohland
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had the opposit efect. My 2200 bat requiers shiftin to tail and I will end up extending to help cog. What size bat are you useing? I know that with the helimax power plant that a small bat will do. I have a 3550kv with a 30a esc. its 2000 to 2200 mah needed for my setup, but I got a x400 kit and added my own elects. the 3550 is over kill but comes down cool with the pinion on it. I get about 2500 rpm hs.
Is your motor the 2800 runing on that 14t pinion?
Just wana know.
Don"t make me list 'm all !
Raven_darkcloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Why I put my tail servo back in the frame

Its not luring its reverse engineering.
Those are some big words, pretty fart smeller , did you ever consider putting the servo on the protected side of the boom instead of the strike side , if your worried about weight differential take the stab bars and fins off , carbon booms that short don't flex much ,besides on the cf frame that's not a servo hole that's a place for your gyro, hey wait a minute I just took an object of greater mass and moved it closer to the cg to counter the imbalance issue , + the new Jr gyro servo doesn't fit in the frame and if i know you like i think i do you need this servo as much as it needs you , Now don't take what I say as an insult to your intelligence I am merely speaking in jest, just some thing to think about . your not still running the aluminum frame are you , remember the 747 jack screw problem , aluminum+stress and or crash = bad news talk about an imbalance the slightest tweak in the frame upsets the whole design and precision of the air frame , same with the boom, cf is the only way for me.

"If you keep thinking in side the box eventually you'll bump your head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohland
Like many others, I was lured in the concept of hanging the tail servo on the tail boom. It did not take to long until I saw the error of my ways.

After two crashes and two destroyed tail servos, I realized Ark had it right when they put the servo within the protection of the frame.

Protecting the servo is not the only reason not to hang it on the tail boom. There are these other two reasons:

1) It shifts the center of gravity (CG) back.
2) It raises the polar moment of inertia.

I had to extend my battery tray in order to mount my battery farther forward. This is totally because I could not get my CG under the main mast with battery held next to the frame. Hanging a servo out on the tail boom exacerbates this problem.

Raising the polar moment of inertia is really bad in helicopters. It will take more energy to start and stop the rotation of the heli about the main shaft.

For me, there is no advantage to putting the tail servo on the boom and there are disadvantages to doing so.

jrohland
Thorimmortal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in