Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Reflex Flight Sim

Reflex Flight Sim Reflex Simulator Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Any XTR and 9Z Users?

Hi Everyone,

How do you go about setting up your 9Z with Reflex. I hve tried it from a reset model, I have tried it from a program from my Raptors, etc. I have set the ATV's at 100%. I can't get this ting to do more than jump around like mad. What do you have in your channel assignment screet?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jump around like mad, sounds like pcm modulation.

Press F8 (hope I remember right) for the channel window, it should show whether the channels are right.

On my 9CHP I just set one memory to the plank mode and ppm, works fine. You don't need any mixes with Reflex...

Andi
Andi G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will, did you get this working with 9Z yet? I have reflex XTR on order but MRC still hasn't got the two futaba connectors (square and round) in stock... I'll eventually want to use my 9Z and 9C. I'm curious to know how you made out.
Dan Lewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No I have not.

It will fly now, but still cannot get the correct hold switch to work, or the idle-up switch to work right. Reflex ignores all but one condition on the idleups.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would you say it's still worth it even though it has this shortcoming?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I would say that it can probably be done. I have devoted a few hours to the project and so far have been unsuccessful. I also have G2 which is plug and play which is all I seem to have time for.

I have actually owned Reflex before, sold it, now bought it again to try XTR. Would I buy it again, most likely not. The physics and graphics are great, but getting it to work with my radios has been discouraging. I tried to get it the first version to work with my 9z as well, and could not get it right either. I offered to trade it to Shannon and let him try it before I sold it and I guess he could not get it right either because he said after testing he was not interested.

If they would make it easier to setup with a 9Z, or provide a good tutorial, it would be a lot easier to use with 9Z. I have not given up yet, but I don't have that many more hours to devote to getting it to work. Look for Reflex and the XTR upgrade for sale here soon.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had seen Shannon's post about trying to get it working and because of that I asked MRC specifically if it worked fully with the 9Z. Tim @ MRC said yes. I should be receiving it soon. When I do and if I'm successful, I'll do what I can to help get yours working too. I have to wait until I can get my hands on the right connector though. Right now they only have JR connectors and my JR radio is toast
Old 06-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks Dan. It could very well be I'm stupid or something like that, but I can setup a heli on this radio without a problem, and seems like I should be able to do the sim as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're not the first person to complain about reflex setup. I've researched several forums and found several instances of ppl struggling with it... For what I paid, I hope MRC and/or Wolfgang can hold my hand through the process. I hope my expectations are set right.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

ANybody know Wolfgangs email address?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I emailed him about a week ago at support@reflex-sim.de and haven't received a reply as of yet. Will, I've been using reflex for a couple days now with a JR radio. By Wednesday I'll have the connectors for my 9C and 9Z. The JR setup went extremely smooth. I went from having a cd in my hand to flying in about 25 minutes. The key was viewing the channel setup at the same time as setting the channels. I'll post back when I get my 9Z adapter and have a chance to attempt the setup.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sweet!! Thank you Dan!!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Share your results Dan. Inquiring minds woud like to know. I have 9CHP but hav enot ever tried reflex. I emailed but got no reply to the support at the reflex website month ago.
Flash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2004, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recieved my square futaba connector and set up Reflex with my 9C yesterday. It works great. It took me about 20 mins to figure out that I had to calibrate the zero positions first, which is stated clearly in the help - if I had read it beforehand. Anyway, rest assured, the 9C works fine. Once I corrected my mistake, I had it going in less than 5 mins.

I scribbled down my method of setup to eventually adapt for use w/the 9Z when my cable comes in. MRC Altech has my round futaba cable on backorder. Here is the process that I used for the 9C. I imagine it would work with any 8 channel radio:

9C radio setup:
  1. Start with a completely new model in PPM mode, HELI SWH1 under parameter ( no fancy swashplate settings, just standard ).
  2. Turn off radio

Reflex setup:
  1. Plugin reflex usb adapter and plug in square plug to Tx - 9C turns on
  2. Press F8 or choose Radio >> Channel Display
    Move this window to the side so that you can continue to view it.
  3. Choose Radio >> Calibrate center... ...Follow instructions.
    If you don't do this, then the next step will not work.
  4. Press F7 or choose Radio >> Assign Channels
    You should see both the Channel display and the Assign Channels windows now.

The Channel display should read slightly fluctuating values, at or near 0 (see attached picture).

Follow the instructions on the Assign Channels window at the bottom. Once it's complete and has auto-detected the channel assignments from your input, you'll have an opportunity to make any manual changes (e.g. if one of your radio swiches wasn't set to your liking). Reassign the switch in the radio, then make the changes in the reflex Assign Channels window. Here's my scenario to illustrate:

My newly created Reflex model in my 9C had channel 7 tied to the wrong switch, so I set switch G in the AUX-CH Select menu of my 9C for throttle hold on channel 7. Then, in Reflex, I set channel 7 to the 'Autorotation' reflex function of the Assign Channels window, making sure that it wasn't reversed.

- Reverse is indicated by the plus/minus ( ' - ' / ' + ' ) toggle button to the right of the channel buttons for each function.

- Adjust the end points in your radio to get full servo travel and thus a linear setup. Otherwise, your heli will be either too responsive or not enough. You view full servo travel by looking at the Channel Display and simultaneously adjust your end points, just like real setup. Some posts I've seen appear to suggest compensating for this by putting in expo... set the end points correctly first, then use expo if needed.

Remember, Reflex is much more of a "simulator" than other sims. Therefore, you have much more power to tweak your setup than you may be accustomed to. This can be good and bad: It's only bad if you want quick setup and your main goal is not realism (e.g. just want to learn basic orientation); it's very good if you want to simulate the real thing.

That's it. I hope this helps someone. For quick start guide, use this local help file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg channel_assign.jpg (64.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg calibration.jpg (12.6 KB, 3056 views)
Old 06-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Awesome, Thank you!!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default 9z works well with realflex

guys im using my 9z with xtr and it works great i downloaded a fury from davehour on rr all switches to include cut and hold work as they should dont forget to go into turn on soft key while turning on radio set to ppm once thats done turn off radio go into program once the screen come up plug in radio hit f4 your on your way
sgt1959 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still waiting for my 9Z adapter cable. I doubt it will ever come - it's been two months.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 9Z

I purchased the Reflex at IRCHA Jamboree. We camped there this year and I could not wait to get back to the camper and install it on my laptop.

At first I got a little frustrated, and it took me about 30 minutes or so to figure out how to get it working. Now it works GREAT! I also have G2, but I have to say I like Reflex better. The help file includes a TON of information.

The main problem I had was that you have to switch the radio from PPM to PCM...it will not recognize the radio in PPM mode.

Then I had to go in and assign the channels properly.

Once that was done it works great. The only drawback is I have to change to PCM before I plug it in and to take effect you must turn the radio off, then back on.

I guess the other drawback is it does draw your tx battery down some, but I prefer flying with my real tx instead of the false tx that comes with G2.

If I can help feel free to email: terryrowell@charter.net
FyrFtrEmt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok im confused terry says pcm and dan says ppm inquiring minds want to know. My best guess is ppm Tom
terb0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 05:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It is PPM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in