Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4G3 with 2108TX

Guys I am not new to helis but got my 2nd 4G3 with the 2108 TX, Walkera Metal Head, Brushless Upgrade etc..Took a while to get it to fly right and not much online because the radio just got launched...figured I would share my current set up to help anyone else banging their heads. Also put in some Expo and Dual rate..flies well but bottom line these small helis are a handful when something goes wrong there is no grace...they fall like little insects against a windshield of a moving car ! Would appreciate feedback from anyone who tries these settings. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nev_4G3 2108 TX Settings.pd.pdf (40.1 KB, 671 views)
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info nigel1, have you attempted any loops or rolls with these settings?
chadt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No loops or rolls yet...! Soon I hope
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

try hitting up Buildem336 for setup help. That guy has it nailed to the floor.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing your settings!

If I recall correctly, the factory default throttle curve is max 100%. Are you getting enough headspeed with just 75% in normal mode?
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4G3 3D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983229
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nigel, just curious if you are experiencing servo resolution problems, aka jerky servos, when binding your 4G3 in 2801 mode?
chadt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4g3 2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadt View Post
Nigel, just curious if you are experiencing servo resolution problems, aka jerky servos, when binding your 4G3 in 2801 mode?
No issues... but I have found that if you turn on the TX and connect the heli battery while the TX is flashing it binds correctly 99% of the time.If not sometimes just a TX off and back on works.

I have also moved the Mode and Throttle Hold switches on my radio so they match my DX7..otherwise I can see my self hitting the Hold switch instead of hover up when I get out to fly my Trex fleet....If anyone wants to see how I did this I will be happy to share it requires, lots of patience, a good soldering iron, reasonable experience with basic electronics and an understanding that if you do this you do it at your own risk. Mine works like a charm and I will be doing my friends too.

I also made some tougher larger skids for my 4G3 work like a charm. I made the heli stand a little taller so that the tail skid sits about 3mm off the ground..avoids catching on carpets !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4g3skid.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	84092  
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweet skids! Makes the 4G3 almost as tall as a T-Rex 450

How did you make them... they look so "perfect"... are they skids from another heli that you just mounted on your 4G3, or are they scratch-built?
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
Sweet skids! Makes the 4G3 almost as tall as a T-Rex 450

How did you make them... they look so "perfect"... are they skids from another heli that you just mounted on your 4G3, or are they scratch-built?
Looks like he used plastic toothpicks
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys, I used some white plastic tubing from a local hobby store and Patience,a lighter, CA, more patience and yet soem more patience ..Works 100% had a few hard landings too no problem. The issue is finding small enough screws to go through the tubing and into the frame..the ones that hold the regular gear on are too short. I used some small black screws from the Trex450 screw set...hope I don't need them any time soon ! has not changed performance although I do run 20c packs with brushless motor they definately weigh more than the factory skids.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problems adjusting the stick tension on the WK-2801

Greetings All:
I just got my Walkera 4G3 with WK-2801 from Wowhobbies last night. Hovered 4-5x since this morning. Now looking to fine-tune adjustments. Want to adjust the STICK TENSION, particularly on the right ELEV stick. Removed the back plate as the manual says but I only have ONE "Throttle Arresting Spring" rather than two. The one I do have is on the throttle/rudder stick. Without the "Throttle Arresting Spring" on the Elev/Ail side I can't make the tension adjustment. Wowhobbies says they never made that adjustment before nor took off the backplate. 3 questions:

1. Am I missing a "Throttle Arresting Spring" (the manual makes it look like there are two)?
2. Can I get away with switching places ie take the one on the throttle side and put it on the Elev side?
3. When I seek to upgrade the tail to BL, can I trust Wowhobbies to know what I need if they don't even know what the back of the transmitter looks like? Seriously, which vendor provides the BEST support for upgrades?
Thanks for any help
Garry
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Aloha - watch the multiple postings... I responded to your question in the other thread you posted.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorries
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Switching Throttle Hold and Flight Mode Switches

Just got my first WK-2801. First thing I noticed was that the two top toggle switches were reversed w/r/t my DX7. I would also like to reposition the switches. Any tips would be apprecaited. Thanks, Ted
Tedstrickland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedstrickland View Post
Just got my first WK-2801. First thing I noticed was that the two top toggle switches were reversed w/r/t my DX7. I would also like to reposition the switches. Any tips would be apprecaited. Thanks, Ted
Here you go....did it a while back.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=142

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Getting back to the first post, I thought I would post my settings... I'm still not 100% happy with them, so I continue to tweak and tune.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2801 Settigns for 4G3.pdf (35.8 KB, 245 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ampdraw.....I appreciate the link, and more imprtantly that you had the b**ls to try and successfully complete this....and then the willingness to take the time to post your technique.....

To Aloha Flyer, look for a Losi Micro-T screw set on E-bay (usually about $3). It contains numerous miniature self-taping and machine type screws in the 1mm dia range- perfect for bashes on micro helis. I have used these parts to install my own CF frame modifications & battery plates, as well as MIA landing gear on my 4#3B, Lama2 and other Walkera Micro-heli kitbashes....

I find that the black antannae tubing supplied with my Trex 450 is perfect for scratch-building and heat forming micro LG. I use T-pins to form the tube onto a piece of board, then hit-it with my heat-gun. It keeps the shape well and I have never had to buy another set of the thin wire LG for any of my micro birds.... (4#3B, 5G6-1, Lama2)

Happy Flying, Ted
Tedstrickland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Getting back to the first post, I thought I would post my settings... I'm still not 100% happy with them, so I continue to tweak and tune.

Hey Steve,

How do I get this print out of my setting for the 2801? I would like to compare my settings to yours. Hopefully yours might be a bit better.

Thank you

Paul
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Looking at your settings a few things I noticed.
Firstly if the key tone every time you press it annoys you...it did me...you can inhibit "ACT" in the Alarm menu. Alarms will still work just buttons are peaceful!

Re your thr/pitch curves.
I'd have the norm upper half the same as your st1 settings. That way you wont get any change when you flick the switch in flight. Also means the rudder can be trimmed for all. In the DX7 for eg it stores your trim settings for eack flight mode but not so with the 2801....trim stays a constant.
You may find your high and low points in your pitch curve too extreme. 20 lower and 80 upper with a 60/60/60 swash mix yeilds 11* or so.
Nice work on all the expo etc...must have taken some time. Hope you get the tail sorted.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in