Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to APM 2.5

I just got the main board, my project is to do a trex 450, now I'm on the market for the GPS and telemetry,to use with my nexus 7, which module do you guys suggest to buy?

Do I need to leave the fbl unit with the board or goes off?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Nitros83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New to APM 2.5

Hey man, you can let APM do the FBL for you, no need for an extra unit.

The wiki page has tons of info as well, I suggest you start there

Joly
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3DR Telemetry module is by far the cheapest and easiest solution to use. And the Ublox GPS is the only way to go.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Waypoints

I have a NAZA with GPS. Works great, Very simple set up ..
I also have a Wookong M it Works great also.
I got my feet wet but my needs require waypoints And I can't seem to bring myself to spend a thousand dollars or more to get them.
I'm looking at the set up below and wonder if this would be a great way to start
And is there anything else I need? Is there a better combination to start with?
And if this is a good set up any suggestions? After I figured out on here is it easily transfer to a bigger one? Looking for some advice? I would like to Get everything at once

3D Robotics

3DR ArduCopter Quad-C Frame + Optional electronics Kit. $249.99
APM 2.5+ Assembled (Cables enter from side) - $150.00
Motor AC2836-358 880Kv - $6.00
APC Propeller set 11X47 SFP Style - $0.00
3DR GPS uBlox LEA-6 - $74.99
3DR Radio Telemetry Kit - 915 Mhz (US) - $70.00

Total $550.98

I wanted to try this and get to know it before I put it in my GSR 800 gasser
Hawkeyeskycam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, that looks about right. The only thing I'd suggest is whether or not that quad kit is the right one. Going with the 3DR kit, should be easy to get the right Gains. But other kits might have more advantages. DJI 450 Flamewheels are tougher. Lots of people using them too.

Yes, all of that stuff will transfer over to a helicopter. But if that is your goal, you might actually be better off installing a system onto a 450 or 500 heli instead. Most of the high level programming (waypoints, etc.) is the same. But the helis setup and fly a little differently than quads.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Waypoints

Thanks Rob
So you suggest to just change out the first item on my list to a DJI Flywheel.
I didn't know if there was anything special that came with that Frame set. I have a DJI flywheel already and have been very pleased with it.
So I'm going to take your advice and change that item.
My goal is to end up with the system on a professional level Multirotor and a gas helicopter.
Thanks
Tim
Hawkeyeskycam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know if I would say I *suggest* to change to the Flamewheel. It depends on what you want to do. The 3DR Quad is larger, and capable of doing more "work", ie: strapping things to it like cameras, etc. The F450 can be tight if you're loading it up for FPV, etc.

But, if this is just a simple test machine, the F450 crashes a lot better than the 3DR quad (and others like it made of metal and fiber board).

The disadvantage to the DJI machines is the horrendous arm design they came up with that are very flexible. The flexing causes vibrations, which can upset our system. It can be managed, but you'll have to look into the situation, and try to vibration damp the APM. I'd just go to DIYDrones and look around. Lots of people are using it successfully, but it you just build it, and slap the APM down with 2-sided tape, it probably won't go well.

I'm quite bullish on the system lately, and I think it will serve you well. Point blank, there simply is no other system, at any price, which offers the same level of flying quality, features, performance and ground control options. We're now getting people ditching military/commercial grade systems and switching to APM.

I really do recommend that you install a system on a small electric heli first, before you attempt the gas machine. Vibration mounting will be CRITICAL to successful usage in the gas application. I can give you some tips, but you're going to have to build something to make this work. AFAIK, nobody has successfully flown APM on a gas powered heli. I think it can be done, but it will require some extra effort.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it helps, I have two friends that run APM 2.5 on their F450s on default settings without any trouble at all. Their literally double sided taped it to the frame, connected it up, did the calibrations and it flies perfectly for them both. I plan on doing the same for mine soon
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are they using Alt Hold? Alt Hold is the bugger. I lost an F330 because of it. You must have low vibes for Alt Hold to work.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, alt hold works flawlessly for them on defaults. The only thing I can think that I did for them is disable compass_learn.

No gains were changed on account they didn't even know the the term "gain" meant lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in