Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would also like to know for sure also.
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are far, FAR better off flying 72 MHz than any 2.4 system.

The reasons are MANY why not to use 2.4 and that's really the bottow line. If in doubt head over to fpvlab.com or any other fpv site and just ask.

Most FPVers experiences have shown that 2.4 range in practice is not even really as far as you can see; a few hundred yards, tops. Most rc pilots reply with 'I fly my heli/plank further than 200 yards all the time!!' but the reality is they aren't toting around very powerful video transmitters, On screen displays, GPS', and a myriad of other things that put of RF interference and drown out the 2.4 signal.

The bottom line is this: yes, you can use 2.4, but it will in all likelihood be a very frustrating endeavor that puts a very expensive flying object at risk for total loss every time you fly. Experienced FPVers aren't willing to do that.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok well thanks, I guess I have some thinking to do now. can you even still buy a 72mhz radio?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Futaba 9C is probably the most common radio used in FPV. 72Mhz to start and connects seamlessly to every major UHF system. You can get them used pretty cheap, but because of their FPV popularity are sometimes hard to find.

The 2 key pieces of advice I can give any potential FPVer is to Never use 2.4 for control and never use a GoPro as your flight camera. You can eliminate the majority of issues by heading those 2 precepts.

(Learn to solder well and have lots of patience for debugging are a close 2nd. You won't get very far in fpv without those either. )
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

does anybody know if the ezuhf module could be used or connected to a airtronics 2.4ghz radio or not?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Iceman,
I am pretty much doing everything wrong, it would appear from this thread (and I didn't even know it), but have been having a great time with my setup. I am using Gopro for FPV cam and using 2.4 (DX8).

teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

sweet videos tesh, have you had any problems with brown outs on your dx8 radio?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One time when I flew (what I would consider) a long distance away, my radio beeped a bunch from the telemetry unit letting me know it was getting crappy signal, and then the thing hauled ass home and landed on its own in failsafe mode, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.
I didn't think to set the camera gimbal angle when binding the TX/RX so the ride home was a bit crazy. The camera was almost pointed straight down as it was cruising along right above the tops of trees.
teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshreve View Post
One time when I flew (what I would consider) a long distance away, my radio beeped a bunch from the telemetry unit letting me know it was getting crappy signal, and then the thing hauled ass home and landed on its own in failsafe mode, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.
I didn't think to set the camera gimbal angle when binding the TX/RX so the ride home was a bit crazy. The camera was almost pointed straight down as it was cruising along right above the tops of trees.
Nice vid. But yes from what I have been reading it is not a "good idea" to run a 2.4 radio and 2.4 Ghz video system

I was wondering when RTH kicks in does it not fly back at 60 feet? I thought I read that and found it odd because it would clip the trees at that height.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianDog View Post
Nice vid. But yes from what I have been reading it is not a "good idea" to run a 2.4 radio and 2.4 Ghz video system

I was wondering when RTH kicks in does it not fly back at 60 feet? I thought I read that and found it odd because it would clip the trees at that height.
I have heard, and it makes sense, not to run 2.4 with 2.4. But I think these guys are saying don't run 2.4 with 5.8 (or anything else for that matter). And I thought that was OK for shorter range stuff. But I certainly don't have enough experience to argue with any one. I will leave that to the experts.

About the RTH. What the DJI does is use 20 meters as a minimum. So if you are lower than 20 meters, it will climb to 20, hang for a bit (I think it is around 10 seconds), return to the point it took of, hang for a bit, then land.

If you are above 20 it will maintain its current altitude. So when you are flying where you know you may be close to the edge, you want to be above the tree line. Or you are right, it could fly right into the trees if they are tall enough.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

i'm planning to run my 2.4ghz radio system with the 5.8ghz fpv video gear. I looked it up online and what I read said that 5.8ghz would not interfere with my 2.4ghz radio. so that's what i'm going to be running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in