Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Xerogear

Anyone see this stuff in action? It looks slick, but I want to get a close up of the tape... is it flat enough to put on my blades?

Also anyone have any vids of this stuff in action?

Looks really nice, but it is not cheap so I want to see it flying before I buy.

aka, Sir-Crah-a-Lot
aballen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nick Maxwell and Bobby Watts were flying this stuff at IRCHA this year and it was super bright.
You will have to use special night blades as you would not even want to put that on your main blades.

Contact the people at Xerogear.I was just across from them at IRCHA and they are really great people to deal with.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ari,

I ordered (2) night fly kits from them at IRCHA and they arrive over the weekend, I'm VERY impressed with the kits that I received, they included real Deans connectors for the battery and mini deans for the connection to the canopy and tail boom pieces, the kit included everything needed, extra jumper wire so you can install the units in any configuration, the led strip is designed to be cut every 3 leds if you wish and you can use the included jumper wire to solder connections for any type of installation. detailed instructions, and everything needed to setup any heli up to a 50 size is included.
Foxden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default xerogear

is it worth it to buy instead of glow wire
Ablmm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up How long does it take to install it?

We at have a the fastest setup time and your tail show up great!

We have aa great price compared to most setup. It is much cheaper for our whole setup that most and buy far the fastest setup!

http://flexyourrex.com/store/N-Vison.htm
We would like it if you just check it out!
Not knocking others stuff, just giving you more options!
Thank You, Elvan Wilson II
WWW.FlexYourRex.com
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up Waht do you think?

These are pictures we took at night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture6 011.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	63935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture6 010.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	63936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	63937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightnin sticks - nite glowing.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	63938  
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Foxden, can you post some pics of your setup?
thx!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just went to the helifreak invasion this past saturday, and saw this Xerogear stuff on display there and I was really impressed with it.

I got to talk with the owner, Chase and he is a really nice guy.

I have a 450 with Align night blades, and the Algin driver and orange and green glow wire. When I plug my set up in daytime, I can not tell that it is even plugged in. The align stuff does not work really well at dusk, it really has to be dark out for it to work best. At night it does work really well though.

At the heli invasion one of the guys had his Trex 600 nitro set up with Xerogear and it was MUCH Brighter then the other setups.

Chase at Xerogear had his set up light in the middle of the day and you could see the lights. Some could say that they are almost too bright. But when flying they are great. Chase does make a "dimmer" swith that you can dim the light using your transmitter in flight, or you can have them react to cyclic input. Pretty cool.

I have taken some pictures of the 450 kit. He sells thems for $80 on his site and the dimmer switch in the upper right corner he sell for $36
http://www.xerogear.com/category_s/1.htm
This is what comes in the basic 450 kit, Except I paid extra for his "dimmer switch" witch is the bag in located in the upper right corner. (He did give us a deal at the heli invasion show

I have some pictures that show you the thickness of them. and the last pic is of the dimmer switch. I guess you plug it into your and you can turn off, or dim the bright ness. He said you can even plug it in and when you move your cyclic is can change brightness. I will have to play with it when I get it set up.

I wish I could express how ,much brighter and easier to see these are over the stock align stuff. I could say that when the pro's would fly way out there, the only thing you could see is their disc LED, you could not even tell they had canopy and tail boom lighting. But when the guy with the Xerogear fly, you could see the xerogear light the whole time. They were soo much brighter.

The other thing that is cool it you dont need a driver to run them. And they last way longer (Duh they are LED's right) But Chase said he has been running the led lights on one of the birds at the show NON STOP since August. They do not burn ouy. He plugs them in to the wall when he is not flying them just to test how long they will last. The algin stuff would not do that as it can burn out ever once in a while.

The color offered now are green and orange or red and blue. But if you contact chase im sure he will mix and match and sell custom length to what ever you need.

Hopefully I can get a video of the difference between the two setups. Unfortunatley I did not take a picture of the xerogear, but I did find this picture:
http://www.flyupyours.com/fred08/pages/IMG_4418.htm
You can see the top heli has the stock algin night gear, and the 2 below it have the xerogear. But the picture does not do it justice. In real life the brightness difference is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360 (Large).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	64858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361 (Large).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	64859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363 (Large).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	64860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365 (Large).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	64861  
legobrains is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobrains View Post
I just went to the helifreak invasion this past saturday, and saw this Xerogear stuff on display there and I was really impressed with it.

I got to talk with the owner, Chase and he is a really nice guy.

I have a 450 with Align night blades, and the Algin driver and orange and green glow wire. When I plug my set up in daytime, I can not tell that it is even plugged in. The align stuff does not work really well at dusk, it really has to be dark out for it to work best. At night it does work really well though.

At the heli invasion one of the guys had his Trex 600 nitro set up with Xerogear and it was MUCH Brighter then the other setups.

Chase at Xerogear had his set up light in the middle of the day and you could see the lights. Some could say that they are almost too bright. But when flying they are great. Chase does make a "dimmer" swith that you can dim the light using your transmitter in flight, or you can have them react to cyclic input. Pretty cool.

I have taken some pictures of the 450 kit. He sells thems for $80 on his site and the dimmer switch in the upper right corner he sell for $36
http://www.xerogear.com/category_s/1.htm
This is what comes in the basic 450 kit, Except I paid extra for his "dimmer switch" witch is the bag in located in the upper right corner. (He did give us a deal at the heli invasion show

I have some pictures that show you the thickness of them. and the last pic is of the dimmer switch. I guess you plug it into your and you can turn off, or dim the bright ness. He said you can even plug it in and when you move your cyclic is can change brightness. I will have to play with it when I get it set up.

I wish I could express how ,much brighter and easier to see these are over the stock align stuff. I could say that when the pro's would fly way out there, the only thing you could see is their disc LED, you could not even tell they had canopy and tail boom lighting. But when the guy with the Xerogear fly, you could see the xerogear light the whole time. They were soo much brighter.

The other thing that is cool it you dont need a driver to run them. And they last way longer (Duh they are LED's right) But Chase said he has been running the led lights on one of the birds at the show NON STOP since August. They do not burn ouy. He plugs them in to the wall when he is not flying them just to test how long they will last. The algin stuff would not do that as it can burn out ever once in a while.

The color offered now are green and orange or red and blue. But if you contact chase im sure he will mix and match and sell custom length to what ever you need.

Hopefully I can get a video of the difference between the two setups. Unfortunatley I did not take a picture of the xerogear, but I did find this picture:
http://www.flyupyours.com/fred08/pages/IMG_4418.htm
You can see the top heli has the stock algin night gear, and the 2 below it have the xerogear. But the picture does not do it justice. In real life the brightness difference is amazing.
I will have to watch this since I bought the same set
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool...yeah I emailed and got back more info...basically what you posted... I am hoping for Christmas...heheh.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool

This stuff is amazing!!!! I showed up with my trex450 and saw the bright LED's and fell in love with them at once. I offered for him to borrow my heli to compare the difference between the two. (Yes, that is my 450 with glow wire). I got a set of the LED's and am now doing a new night setup... will be revealed soon enough. If your building one, the LED's are the way to go.
averagebrunette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Question

I am interested in both the Xerogear and the N-Vison stuff. Maybe someone should do a night light setup test for most light, less draw, and quickest setup. Now that would be the way I would do it.

That would be perfect. I am glad I came up with the idea.

Things needed for a Night Setup Shootout.

Align, Xerogear, N-Vison, …, …!

Need a light meter at different heights and lengths apart!
We would need 3 birds completely ready to and no night kits on them, 3 could turn into 4 or 5 if we can get more manufactures to participate in this shootout.
Need to also do an install test, to see which kit can be installed the quickest and the cleanest!

These would be the basic things that would matter the most, in a night flying setup for a helicopter!

Let’s see if we can get the companies on the ball, to see if they will send us the stuff to do the test.
BlackPanther is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm already working on a LED night setup, but i'm going for a custom install look, like my trex with glow. I'd rather take my time on the install and have something really kewl, then just slap some stuff on it and store it in the trunk till night time because it looks so bad in the day time.
averagebrunette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I think it would be great to find out which kit is the best. Which design gives off the best light? Just because something looks great doesn't mean, it is the best thing for you.
I love chocolate, but it makes me break out!

Wouldn't it be better to find out? That something looks great and works better than it looks!

I have never seen anything like the N-Vison idea. That is a wonderful idea. When practicing tail slides at night, it would help me to see more of the tail.
A couple pictures of all the kits lined up next to each other, would work for me rite now!

Black Panther out!
BlackPanther is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagebrunette View Post
I'd rather take my time on the install and have something really kewl, then just slap some stuff on it and store it in the trunk till night time because it looks so bad in the day time.
+1 - I'm with you there!

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Putting hundreds of LEDs must have its toll on power consumption and heat. The current load must be on the amp range. How do you guys deal with that?

Also, the tape seems like it would be really easy to crack. What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually led's don't generate much heat and the amp load is very low. I power my xerogear off of a 480mah 11.1v battery and the lights last hours. The tape is flexible so I don't think it would crack. I just crashed my 600 with it on there and the lights are fine.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great to know. Some LEDs can consume 200mAh a piece and shine quite hot. I guess it is not the case here.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am building a mixed set on my 600N:
-MS Composit night main and tailblades
-N Vison tail fins (blue)
-Xerogear LED's on my canopy (red / blue)

I went with glow wire 1st but I really hate that shit + it doesn't look the part.
I'll post some pics when it is done.
nwolsink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered my .90 Xerogear kit I'll take pictures and post once they get here. (I just need main blades and a battery.
SlowWhite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in