Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Flight Controllers (NAZA, Wookong, A2, etc...) > DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM) DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brand new F550 + Naza V2: awful performance

Hi guys,

I've got a Hexa MikroKopter from a friend as a gift and enjoyed the toy.. it flies great but too much complicated and ugly. Then I decided to get a F550 + Naza to play around.

It is much easy to assembly and setup... but the maiden flight was way disappointing.

In the manual mode I could fly the F550, no problem all (I'm used to helicopters).
But the Atti mode is awful.. the 550 could not keep altitude; even with throttle stick at middle, it keeps going up and down.. I'm talking about a 10 feet altitude oscillation.

The cyclic (elevator and aileron) was awful as well.. it could not keep stable with a little bit of wind. In the GPS mode same behavior.

I let all the gains standard (140%)... tried to change the vertical gain so the toy keep the altitude, but no success at al.

I'm really disappointed. Next weekend I'm gonna shot a video and post it here.

I'm an experienced heli modeler, so I keep attention on transmitter calibration and things like that.

Any hints are welcome.

Best Regards.

Alex.
http://www.helimaniarc.com.br
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alex,

Did you do the Advanced IMU calibration? If not I would that first. I assume you did the Compass calibration at the field you were flying at. Were you flying with 10" props or 8" props. I find the F550 with 10" props to be effected to wind the 8" on 4S is much more forgiving.
Empire Support 2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Empire Support 2,

I didn't do the Advanced Calibration. The software said there were no need, but I can do if you think it can help.
The Compass Calibration is done even though my flying field has some high voltage lines.. but I guess it will not disturb the altitude control that way.

I'm using 10" prop with a 3S 5000mAh LiPo. A 4S one is on the way, so I will replace the props by a 8" ones. Could unbalanced props cause such altitude oscillation??

Some cyclic issue I would not mind tuning, but a 10 feet altitude oscillation is bothering me a lot - for a controller supposed to take off and landing by itself. I don't even know where to start

I have mounted the MC with the supplied tape in the middle of the frame, with PMU and Rx beside MC. Is that any issue with such configuration?

Alex.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, please redo advanced calibration. If you can please take a screen shot of your mod values after calibration.

Unbalanced props can cause many issues, so you should do your best to balance them as best as you can.

Why don't you try these gains first.
165 /165 150 150
85/85

Your install should be fine but to be on the safe side can you please post a picture?
Empire Support 3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Empire Support, thanks a lot for the great support.

I will take some pictures from my assembly and post here.

And I will take these actions:

1) Balance the props;
2) Perform Advanced Calibration and post the values here.
3) Set the gains 165 /165 150 150 85/85

For now I can only use 10" props with 3S.. my 4S lipo will take some days to arrive.

Any additional hint/idea is welcome!

Alex.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took some pictures (sorry high res, but it is easier to check details)..
I checked the Mod values before Advanced calibration and they are all in the expected range.
The picture is after Advanced calibration. The Gyro Mod keeps changing from 0.1 to 0.5.

I tried to balance one prop, but it is really complicated... and I will have to execute the procedure 6 times.. is it really needed for original props???

Thanks.

Alex.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its not necessary but you should spend the time and balance the props at some point. Everything looks good. Try it with the new gains and see how it does.
Empire Support 3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alex, you obviously took some time in your build. The only thing that I see that concerns me is the GPS/Compass mount. I am afraid that you might get some vibration in that location. I have mine mounted on the 4 arm screws on the right front arm. It is a tight fit but you can get them tightened down. That would require that you adjust your coordinates in Assistant. I fly with unbalanced props on occasion. If you are just sport flying right now unless they are way off, you should be ok. It looks like you are using the DJI 10x4.5. I like the new 10x3.8 which I have used with both 3S and 4S. They are not expensive. I would also add about 30% expo in on your Tx for the aileron and elevator channels. After that your next step is to get it back to the field, calibrate your compass and do some flying. Let us know how it goes.
Empire Support 2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

After Advanced Calibration, I performed a test flight and shot 2 videos - it's not that easy to shot with one hand and try to fly an uncontrollable model with the other.
Sorry the low res, I forgot to change my phone settings... but it is enough to see the problem.
The radio beeps in one video was my Rx Battery alarm wrong set.

By the way, in Normal Mode I can control the model quite easy... the motors are proportional to the throttle stick, so it is like flying a helicopter.

I think I have a defective unit... at least the barometer.

F550+Naza2 (1 min 18 sec)

F550+Naza2 2 (0 min 47 sec)