Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default SR bites me yet again :(

One would think that after flying, crashing, and repairing my SR for more than two years, I'd finally have gotten the hang of it - not.

Why do I continue to torture myself when I have four other perfectly good heli's I really like to fly and which give me no trouble? No issues with my 500, 450, 300 or mcpx, but OH NO, I have to fly the SR again.

A few weeks ago, I went through my well used SR and replaced a lot of worn parts, including links, swash, blades, tail rotor, etc.

Just wanted to give it a little exercise today....and I was bitten again.

Fooled around with my pitch and throttle curves, and somehow managed to mismatch a normal pitch curve (43-48-50-75-100) with a flat 100 throttle curve in IU 2.

Oops! Normal takeoff and hover, switched to stunt 1 (90 flat throttle and linear pitch) and then to stunt 2 (100 flat TC and normal pitch).

I watched the heli clear the roof of my house, and full negative to bring it down just slowed the upward acceleration.

Hit TH, and spent the afternoon replacing what WERE new and perfectly good main gear, main shaft, feathering shaft, tail boom, tail motor, and horizontal fin mount, in addition to rebalancing the main and tail blades.

Good thing I had nothing better to do other than watch Discovery TV and down 4 or 5 cups of coffee.

Back at it tomorrow, just to be sure it flies OK before I put it away for a while.

Rant over......

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why didnt you just switch it back to normal, instead of I/U?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
Was thinking the same thing. I was flying my Msrx and for some reason I hit IU-1 and the thing went up-Up-UP! I just flipped it back down to Normal and brought it down. Sorry I meant it FELL down.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear the SR carnage, you were spoiled by flying the FBL birds.

I haven't been flying for awhile and couple weeks ago got a 130x, have about 12 flights so far and today I flew the stock BSR, the control takes a minute or so to get used to again, definitely not as tight as the 130x and it is so under power, did the usual upright/inverted forward and backward circuits, good news is I did not crash the BSR.
estarter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
I forgot???

LOL!!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kenkadish, your SR was trying to ascend to a higher plane of existence to become one with all rotary machines - you should have let transcend to Horizon Heaven.

I made mine a nightflyer and I was thinking that eventually it will bite me on a flip or something, but heck I like my 450 too much to fly it in the dark!

Jumna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are times when all I want to do is set it free!

Fully charged battery, 100 flat TC, full collective, and off she goes....

If it weren't for the remote chance it might hurt someone on the way down...............

LOL!

Ken
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it gets tempting to go back and pull the SR out every so often to take it up and fly it around. Being used to FBL now it does take a little effort but it goes up and flys fairly well. I will have to replace the gyro if I don't go full FBL on the SR as it does not hold exceptionally well but is ok. Yanking out the flybar weights does a good job there too in responsiveness...

Hmmm.... maybe I should take it out again and fly it....

Thanks for the story of your experience kenkadish

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhh... I crashed my FBL belt SR this morning, after flying the 300x, the stock motor SR seems powerless, when I did the 180 sideway flip from the inverted back circuit, she fell to the ground, feathering shaft is bent, broke one of the blade grip, lost the grip link, stripped the main gear and one cyclic servo gear.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
Ahhh... I crashed my FBL belt SR this morning, after flying the 300x, the stock motor SR seems powerless, when I did the 180 sideway flip from the inverted back circuit, she fell to the ground, feathering shaft is bent, broke one of the blade grip, lost the grip link, stripped the main gear and one cyclic servo gear.
And the saga continues

Maybe we can plan an SR fly-in sometime in the future....

Ken
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine got me too the other day. I put a new hot motor in it and I guess the torque caused it to lock the head up. It jumped off the ground, wouldn't come down then when it did it slammed down upside down. In a flash I hit t hold and didn't even hurt my plastic xtreme blades. Damn thing sounded like a 450 biting the air. I've never heard it sound that ferocious.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I have it back together again, and it's on the shelf for another few months.

Off to fly the helis I really like.

Just for grins, here is my test flight this afternoon after repairs, and before I wreck it again.

Blade SR (2 min 15 sec)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I'm done with my SR this time for real, I can order the Compy 300 belt kit for less than it would take to get the metal head upgrade parts for the SR.

I have 463 flights on my Blade SR and am tired of unnecessary crashes from head and tail failures.
It has served me well to learn nose in, Hi speed figure 8's, stall turns and my 1st inverted hover.

Its much easier to work on than the Trex 250 and 450 Heli's for beginners and can be got going again very quickly with just a few parts on hand. The last thing you want to do is crash a Trex 450 and have to put a belt, boom, feathering shaft, main shaft, main gear, 1 elevator servo and 1 aileron servo and skids. It's gonna take some time to get it going again.

The SR in stock trim cruises around nicely, I'm wanting it to be a 3d monster now though and its just not worth throwing my little spare change into it. LOL!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

And $77 gets you the whole kit. Sounds like a good platform to move some SR guts into, next opportunity.

I like the idea of an SR fly-in, maybe have prizes for the move most like a tictoc or piroflip,lowest inverted spinning hover, best lawn darting, farthest distance for thrown crash part, loudest tail motor,etc.........

Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumna View Post
And $77 gets you the whole kit......
Man, I paid $12 more + $38 shipping couple years ago. The Compy wood main blades are superb, the head has bearing everywhere but the frame is kind of weak, the boom mounting area will break off at the first crash. LOL, make sure you order an extra frame with the order.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch. I couldn't find spare frames on the website either, must have run out...!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumna View Post
And $77 gets you the whole kit. Sounds like a good platform to move some SR guts into, next opportunity.

I like the idea of an SR fly-in, maybe have prizes for the move most like a tictoc or piroflip,lowest inverted spinning hover, best lawn darting, farthest distance for thrown crash part, loudest tail motor,etc.........

If I had a camera I would have won all those allready.. too bad none were planned.

I too want to shelf my SR and stick with the 450.. its a fight to just get more than a few mins on the SR without breaking something. But determination makes a fool of me every time.
metalwizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

What happens to me I always end up fixing mine while waiting on some part thats taking too long to arrive for the 450. I fix it and am stuck with it working until something goes wrong on it.

If it had a good head and a good belted tail it would be so much better, I have a strong motor on it now so maybe one day. Could be done way cheaper than buying the Gaui X2. Thats one nice little bird and extremely quick. He does have about 300 dollars worth of servos on it though .

Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ken, The good news is, this wasn't the SR's fault........it was 100% pilot error. The bad news is, you have another problem.....ie, the head is not set up right. If your normal starts at 43, even in IU 100% you would have negitive and the SR would have dropped like a rock when you went to low stick. Even if you went to 50% or zero pitch, the heli would fall right out of the sky. So what its going on?? I would guess you do not have the head set up right and do not have zero pitch at mid stick.....with your servo arms at 90 degrees to the main shaft. So I would go back and do a new set up. It is important to do the set up with the servo arms 90 degrees to the main shaft or what happens is even if you have the tx set for 43%, the heli blades are not. So the first thing to do is put a pitch gage on your heli, go to low stick in normal and see what you have.......of course you have to set the gage to zero when the blades are at zero pitch. The only way the heli would have continued to climb at low stick is if the blades were still at positive pitch......J
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

After re-read your post, I don't quite get it why your bird will slam to ground unless you apply full low stick in ST2. With your pitch curve (43-48-50-75-100) the heli is flyable upright at a flat 90~100% TC. BTW, my crashed SR still not fixed, need a blade grip, grip link, a main gear... the bent feathering shaft can be straightened. The LHS carry eflite part is 55 miles away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in