Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My progress chart

Hey folks,

Partially inspired by ArchmageAU's work I've ended up putting more effort into practicing particular skills, and as I found more and more things I was working on I started tracking them in a little spreadsheet.

Well that spreadsheet grew, then grew some more, then I prettied it up a bit. And wow, it's quite cool to see how much more I can do these days.

There have been many times where I felt I was standing still and not really progressing, but then within a week or two I'd go back to refresh something old and realise just how much easier it was becoming. So thanks Archmage, while I've not really followed your program, I definitely took inspiration from your posts, and 20-30 minute sessions every day really does work!

It has to be said too, after putting in the time to work on all this, in the last month things really have clicked, all of a sudden it doesn't matter where the helicopter is, which way round it's facing, or which way it's travelling. No matter where I put it in the sky, or which way up, I'm flying it without any thought.

It's amazing to finally feel I can properly fly these things, but it's really put me back. I'm having so much fun now I don't want to put the work in practising properly lol.

Anyway, enough rambling, this is what I wanted to share:
Myxiplx's progress chart

Myx
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

very nice spreadsheet could come in handy that
Trex-700 Pro DFC,AR7200BX,Optipower 12s
rgreenwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well Like you after reading Arch's Piro's to funnels in 6 months inspired me as well....

However the likely hood of me being able to do it in 6 monhts is ...well....not very realistic.....

HOWEVER, I love his program...and the idea of tracking stuff is a very useful one...I have already built my self a 1 year tracking sheet with charts and graphs as well....

Now I do not have all the techniques that you have on your sheet ...my only includes hover orientations and Piro work....If I can master that I will be very happy....

but I want to get them other techniques and will build an excel sheet to track that as well when I get there......

Buecause you and Arch are correct....When you actually track your work you not only get to see your progress but it keeps you honest in reinforcing what you have actually done and not what you THINK you've done!!

Then you go and look at it and revisit it and find that it is easier to do things you now know why..

For example....I could only do tail in hover just 4 short weeks ago....nothing else...
By using Arch's Piro method and tracking my progress I can now Hover (although no expert) in all four orientations.....I still need a mountian of work before I get it stable but I can actually see how much progress I have made in 4 weeks and am more determined to perfect what i do have......

So Good Job
Clifford
Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You're on the right track, I started exactly the same, working on the four hover orientations and practising slow piros. The spreadsheet began really simple, I've just tweaked it a bit as time went on :-)

Piros really are the key, practising those improves all your orientations, and by working on those so much I found things like piro travel were so easy to learn. Piro travel seems impossible when you first start, I couldn't get my head around how anybody could do that, but after a few months of practising stationary piros I found piro travel just came naturally, I could fly it all over the place without any conscious thought.

Good luck with your flying, and enjoy it :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2014, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckermusic View Post
Well Like you after reading Arch's Piro's to funnels in 6 months inspired me as well....

However the likely hood of me being able to do it in 6 monhts is ...well....not very realistic.....

Clifford
Cliff,
it took me over 6 months after reading Archies first threads to actually start practicing what he preaches. Arch presented a detailed, intelligent and well thought out approach in my oppinion. I think most people will benefit from following it. I find I can't follow it to the letter though. I don't like to sim more than a few minutes usually. But even 5 minute regular sessions with a goal in mind have benefits.

I don't think it matters how long stuff takes to learn as long as your enjoying what your doing.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found simming tough too when I first started, for the first 4 months the vast majority of learning was on the mCPX BL.

Now I have more control I find the sim is a lot easier, depth perception just works and I can fly either the BL or the sim happily.

If I'd just had the sim I'm not sure I would have had the patience or dedication to stick to it.

Funnily enough its gone the other way now and I fly the sim far more than the BL at the moment.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

myxi,
I have had the sim phoenix (and now heli-x) for about 14 months. Its just something I do not particularly enjoy doing. But I have decided to practice each day even if only for 4 minutes a day. no pressure but to practice a skill. I bet people laugh when they read 4 minutes I know some are on the sim for hours.

I hope I get the transition you got and I could finally start enjoying it.

good luck with your flying.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will, I've found the sim is like everything else with helicopters, you have to put in some time for your brain and fingers to get used to it.

Give yourself a few weeks at 5 mins a time and you'll be more comfortable in no time :-)

Old 02-01-2014, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where are you in the UK. I'm originally from Sunderland.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just north of Derby

Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, sorry I'm derailing your thread. I'm always interested when I see a fellow Brit where they are. I guess I don't get back home enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in