Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #621 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian1 View Post
Hi, My name is Glenn and I live in Norway. I just bought a KDS 450SV with Flymentor 3D preinstalled from the factory. I have read through this whole thread while waiting for my heli to arrive, and must admit that I was thinking to myself that this whole FM thing just might be a bit too much for me.

I already have a 450 trex, a couple of walkera vd120d02's and I handle them ok, flips and piroflips, nothing fancy just enough to keep me on my toes.

Got my KDS with the FM today and I have just one thing to say.... WOW!!
I was expecting to fiddle about with all the settings and all the PITA that I have seen some people on here have had with their system. But no, it flew great right out of the box ( I did give the KDS a once over first, tightening the occasional hex and adjusting the belt tension to the tail first.)

What i loved about it is that you can fly it just like any normal heli and flip it all over the place, and in the minute i can give the controlls to my daughter and just let the flymentor take control when it needs to.

Thats all, just wanted to say that this works like a charm..

Glenn.
Be careful to many flips and rolls in quick succession and FM will crash your heli, the gyro's cannot keep up. It is only designed for normal flying.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #622 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, I found that out in the middle of some tic toc's But still, it is a very good system. I can fly it with the FM turned off while playing around, turn it back on and hand the heli over to my daughter.. brilliant
Norwegian1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #623 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default stuck in initial setup

Hello All,
Newbie here, trying to get flymentor system installed. I am using a Futaba t6ex and r617fs rx. I have followed these post, and haven't come across any with this problem. I have made all connections, double and triple checked, but when I power up, I get a solid red light on fm unit. other details that may help are: ESC-Align RCE-bl45x, Align ds415m cyclic servo's, Futaba s9257 tail servo, futaba gy401 gyro(not connected). I have spent quite some time getting to this point, and am stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks
prostrtz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #624 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostrtz View Post
Hello All,
Newbie here, trying to get flymentor system installed. I am using a Futaba t6ex and r617fs rx. I have followed these post, and haven't come across any with this problem. I have made all connections, double and triple checked, but when I power up, I get a solid red light on fm unit. other details that may help are: ESC-Align RCE-bl45x, Align ds415m cyclic servo's, Futaba s9257 tail servo, futaba gy401 gyro(not connected). I have spent quite some time getting to this point, and am stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks
Hi I have answered this via the PM you sent me. hope it helps.
Belton US ?. Belton UK ?. If you are in the UK I am happy to give you my phone number.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #625 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor frustration

Hello All,
Newbie here and the Flymentor is winning(lol). I purchased this unit new and tried most every suggestion I could come up with to get the software to work on my win 7 64-bit to no avail. I have since purchased and received the PPC programmer and am stuck again. My 1st question is-does the flymentor control module get warm when powered up? When powered, after about a minute and half, the module starts getting warm. Almost hot to the touch. I am using an Align rce-bl35g esc, turnigy 11.1v 2200mAh 30c lipo into a futaba r617fs rx and Flymentor connected per directions. I have also use a battery pack that I usually us for setting up.
Also, the PPC does not power on when connected. Tried connection then power up, power up then connect with both power sources. This has all been done with all parts on a bench, but I don't think being mounted to heli fram would make any difference. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #626 (permalink)
Registered Users

No Flymentor does not get hot not even warm. If it does the usual reason is that the servo's have been connected to it the wrong way around. It will tolerate this for a short time but more than this and it will be damaged. The negative connection should be on the outside inline with the usb sign. I would have to say that your FM is either damaged or you received a faulty one.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #627 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Faulty Flymentor

Thank you again Ivor for your assistance. Apparently I got lucky and received a faulty unit. I contacted the seller and explained things to him and his response was " The unit would be considered used now, and hard to sell. Would add more expense for return shipping. I suggest I refund you. Should you get item working you can then make it right". Which I accepted. Personally I'm thinking that all went a little too easy, and think seller knew was defective. I also had another unit I bought as used that I received yesterday. Powered it up and all seems well.
My new confusion is trying to figure out the ppc programmer. Being a used item, it already has settings stored, but I have no idea what type of set-up it was on. I made a few changes, and am pretty sure I have servo directions correct. And when I tip heli nose down, swash pulls up(elev down). I'm just needing suggestions about everything else.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #628 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor with Turnigy 9X and Er9X software

So I eliminated all the swash mixing in the TX. As in Ivor's tutorial.

I use the standard Futaba Channel assignments.

I have CH 01 100% AIL
CH02 100% ELE
CH3 100% THR
CH4 100% RUD

CH6 ??????????????????????

I'm not sure what to put on CH6

Finally my channel 6 is the LEFT servo and channel 1 is the RIGHT servo as seen from the rear of the copter.

Anyone??

EDIT: Tried -100 % on CH6 No Help. Then 100% THR and that works; why I have no idea. But the SWASH servos all work in the correct directions, and all four (left/right forward/back and collective) functions also are correct.

P.S. sorry for the double post..... I think the other tread is dead.

Boowho??

Last edited by boowho; 12-15-2013 at 10:26 AM..
boowho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #629 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostrtz View Post
Thank you again Ivor for your assistance. Apparently I got lucky and received a faulty unit. I contacted the seller and explained things to him and his response was " The unit would be considered used now, and hard to sell. Would add more expense for return shipping. I suggest I refund you. Should you get item working you can then make it right". Which I accepted. Personally I'm thinking that all went a little too easy, and think seller knew was defective. I also had another unit I bought as used that I received yesterday. Powered it up and all seems well.
My new confusion is trying to figure out the ppc programmer. Being a used item, it already has settings stored, but I have no idea what type of set-up it was on. I made a few changes, and am pretty sure I have servo directions correct. And when I tip heli nose down, swash pulls up(elev down). I'm just needing suggestions about everything else.
I suggest you reset the ppc back to factory settings, load to FM and start again so you will know that unnecessary changes have not been made. Then follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread. The instructions are for the Helibal programme but you should be able to work it out. You may find some help with the ppc on youtube.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #630 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
So I eliminated all the swash mixing in the TX. As in Ivor's tutorial.

I use the standard Futaba Channel assignments.

I have CH 01 100% AIL
CH02 100% ELE
CH3 100% THR
CH4 100% RUD

CH6 ??????????????????????

I'm not sure what to put on CH6

Finally my channel 6 is the LEFT servo and channel 1 is the RIGHT servo as seen from the rear of the copter.

Anyone??

EDIT: Tried -100 % on CH6 No Help. Then 100% THR and that works; why I have no idea. But the SWASH servos all work in the correct directions, and all four (left/right forward/back and collective) functions also are correct.

P.S. sorry for the double post..... I think the other tread is dead.

Boowho??
If it is the same as Futaba then the plug with 3 wires to channel 1 (aleron} yellow to
channel 2 (elevator) and orange ( pitch/aleron2) to channel 6.
You say Tried 100% on channel 6 no help. No help with what ?. You do not say what the problem is.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #631 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Seeing light at the end of the tunnel

Wanted to say thanks again to Ivor, and luvmyhelis for the validation and encouragement. I left the settings already programed but opened a new model, i.e. reset. After following instructions at start of thread, I compared new settings to stored and were for the most part the same. Got brave and took heli outside. WOO-HOO!! Success. Heli lifted without so much as hint of shake, went into hover, and was holding position even with mild breeze. Went back out after dark to show to a family member and again lifted into hover. Of course, I had to make stick corrections to keep in place being in balance mode due to lighting.
I would like to ask if anyone else uses the Futaba t6ex with Flymentor? If so, have you been able to set modes to available 2 way switches, and how?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #632 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
You say Tried 100% on channel 6 no help. No help with what ?. You do not say what the problem is.
By "tried 100% on channel 6" I meant the settings in my ER9X (Turnigy with ER's firmware).

I should have typed "tried 100% AIL on channel 6". That's the way I set ER9X for no TX mixing, except using 100% AIL on channel 6 did not work. When I entered 100% THR on channel 6 everything is fine. The whole purpose of this exercise is getting the correct TX sticks mapped to the correct TX channels. This stick to channel is not fixed as on other TX's; I can put anything where I want to

So, after getting the TX sticks to channels set correctly in the TX (used the Futaba convention), I have the FM properly connected to the RX(color codes), the servos connected to the FM ports as specified in your original post. Everything is working PERFECT except that the fore/aft automatic correction provided by FM is backwards. The side to side correction is fine.

Now, your OP says that if this problem occurs (fore to aft FM correction is backwards), that I should reverse the two servo plugs in FM ports 1 and 2.

When I do this everything goes "wonky". Do I have to go back and set all the individual servos directions AGAIN, to get all the controls working correctly again??

Finally, when using the helibal program it seems that the servo AND the control tabs are pretty much the same (have the same adjustments). Why would I want to use one (servo tab) over the other (control tab)? What is the difference between the two tabs??

Boowho??
Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #633 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
By "tried 100% on channel 6" I meant the settings in my ER9X (Turnigy with ER's firmware).

I should have typed "tried 100% AIL on channel 6". That's the way I set ER9X for no TX mixing, except using 100% AIL on channel 6 did not work. When I entered 100% THR on channel 6 everything is fine. The whole purpose of this exercise is getting the correct TX sticks mapped to the correct TX channels. This stick to channel is not fixed as on other TX's; I can put anything where I want to

So, after getting the TX sticks to channels set correctly in the TX (used the Futaba convention), I have the FM properly connected to the RX(color codes), the servos connected to the FM ports as specified in your original post. Everything is working PERFECT except that the fore/aft automatic correction provided by FM is backwards. The side to side correction is fine.

Now, your OP says that if this problem occurs (fore to aft FM correction is backwards), that I should reverse the two servo plugs in FM ports 1 and 2.

When I do this everything goes "wonky". Do I have to go back and set all the individual servos directions AGAIN, to get all the controls working correctly again??

Finally, when using the helibal program it seems that the servo AND the control tabs are pretty much the same (have the same adjustments). Why would I want to use one (servo tab) over the other (control tab)? What is the difference between the two tabs??

Boowho??
Yes when you swop the servo wire you will then need to set the directions again this should be done under the servo tab in helibal.
No the servo tab and control tab in helibal does not do the same thing. Servo tab changes individual servo directions. Control tab controls stick directions.
Forget control tab. First set servo directions so when you tip the heli the servo moves correctly to oppose the tip. When you have this correct check stick directions and if any of the stick controls are reverse then correct them under the control tap.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #634 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ivor..... got it!!!

Boowho??
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #635 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FM and swash interaction

All the best in 2014 to all of you!
I instaled FM on Blade 5003d. Following Ivor Hill instructions was not difficult. However, I had problems with leveling swash on all hights. If it is leveled at midstik, than it is not at highest and lovest position. I made a compromise and leveled the swash at 75%, since I am a sport flyer, so that I have les interaction between 50% and 100% of my pitch curve. Is this a good method? If enzbody, especialy Mr. Hill have any other advise, I would be weary grateful.
Happy flying in 2014 and greetings from Slovenia!
triglav is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #636 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglav View Post
All the best in 2014 to all of you!
I instaled FM on Blade 5003d. Following Ivor Hill instructions was not difficult. However, I had problems with leveling swash on all hights. If it is leveled at midstik, than it is not at highest and lovest position. I made a compromise and leveled the swash at 75%, since I am a sport flyer, so that I have les interaction between 50% and 100% of my pitch curve. Is this a good method? If enzbody, especialy Mr. Hill have any other advise, I would be weary grateful.
Happy flying in 2014 and greetings from Slovenia!
Yes levelling the swash at 75% or at hovering pitch is a good idea provided you are not going to invert the heli. If you intend to invert then it should be done at 50%.
Also bear in mind FM is good for normal flying only. Stunts especially in quick succession can confuse the gyro's and the heli will crash. Have fun.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #637 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FM and swash interaction

Thank you weary much for your opinion.
I am trying to understand the FM as much as I can.
In the FM software Servo Adjust replaces sub trim in the TX, and Servo Travel replaces Swashpalte values for collective/cyclic pitch range, but no options for Servo Travel to adjust potential interaction.
If there is only a small CCPM interaction (just some clicks in the servo travel, due to the precise set up without FM)), will the FM stabilisation “take care” of this interaction, so that levelling at 75% is not really necessary?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #638 (permalink)
Registered Users

You cannot trim the servos to correct servo interactions. They can only trim them to be correct in one position. This is not a problem because the gyro's will keep the heli level after you trim during you test flights.
Level the swash on the bench with FM off. Then switch to position mode ( gain +70 )
Hover the heli out side in good light about 500mm of the ground and use your Transmitter trims to stop any drift. If you only had to use only 3 or 4 clicks of trim then that's ok but if you had to use a lot of trim then note the direction you have had the move the swash and set the trims back to zero, connect to helibal and use the trims in helibal to to set the swash in the position it was in when you used the TX trims and test hover again.
Keep doing this until the heli hovers and holds position with no or just a little TX trim.
Above about 3 metres FM will switch to balance mode, it will not hold position but will stay level.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #639 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default M and swash interaction

Hello Mr. Hill
Ivor, thank you for the last advices and explanations. Sorry I couldn’t replay sooner. I was adjusting swash plate mechanically, from now on I will do it as you suggest, if it will be necessary.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #640 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the work you have put into this thread Ivor. It's an incredible amount of time and effort put in.

On subject I've been almost driven mad by trying to install a Flymentor on a Blade 450 3d. The distance from sanity to madness becomes shorter every year.

I kept the stock G210 tail gyro, upgraded the RX to a Spektrum AR7010.

Stock G210 is on Aux 1 and FM blue wire is on Aux 2 controlled by Spektrum DX7s TX

The heli flew fine out of the box (new).

Blue, green and grey wires disconnected during setup
I followed your instructions to the letter and all went fine with one big exception. The gyro (on a tail mount upright arrow forward) and CCD (under the heli facing down arrow forward ) were setup that way in helibal. I got the correct response to stick inputs with minor servo 2 reversal in helibal ( pitch. ail and elev normal servo direction in TX)

The bench response from the FM , when turned on and initialized would only give me the correct counter response on elevator and incorrect opposite response on aileron. No amount of servo reversal combinations would correct the problem.

Out of curiosity I set up helibal orientation to the rear (even though the hardware was installed correctly oriented arrows forward). When this was saved the bench response changed to correct counter response on aileron with the elevator response now being incorrectly backward. No amount of servo reversal juggling would correct the problem.
I thought perhaps I had a bad FM gyro and was ready to give up.

Out of further curiosity I reset the helibal orientation to forward facing install but this time I mounted the gyro upside down (literally) under the heli along side the CCD. Both with the arrows facing the forward. To my surprise the gyro\bench response is perfect. Both aileron and elevator correct perfectly in bench test. They counter correct both upright and inverted.

I wonder if you have seen this before as I can't find anything similar on the net.
i am waiting for some Zeal tape to finish the install so have not flown the heli as yet. But based on the bench tests it appears it would fly and balance.

My settings follow your instructions to the letter in my DX7S Tx and the helibal software.

i bought the FM as a "new" unit from a seller on RC Canada. It appeared to never have been out of the box and is not damaged but cannot be returned. No worries.

Just interested to know if anyone else has run into this. Once I turned the gyro upside down everything went a smooth as silk in terms of response and setup.

BTW out of curiosity I turned the gyro back upright now that the responses were perfect and the same faulty bench response returns on reboot of the heli.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts anyone might have relative to what I ran into.

Sincere best wishes everyone.
Cheers
CptKirk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in