Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Banshee Helicopters

Banshee Helicopters Banshee Helicopter Support

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #281 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblombard View Post
Well honestly....I won't sell it for anything less because that's the only way I will part with it....once I part with it chances are zero that I will find one again. The banshee is just too good...it's something you can never explain...you have to own one, fly it for say 6 flights, relax and really give it stick...only then will anyone understand what a banshee is.

That's why....I'm not buying the new TDR before I know what the banshee team has up their sleeves
It's funny, but that's the same reason I'm going "to try" not to be tempted by the next Banshee. I don"t even want to know if it can get better than this.

I enjoyed my other helis a lot more this summer with my Banshee out of commission.

I hadn't really thought about that until now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #282 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
This is one smooth drive train! I felt ZERO vibrations on the boom at any headspeed.
Was this an improvement from before? I've had some vibrations on the boom from the tail belt. Very minor but present, basically a function of headspeed. I'm interested to get rid of them if possible as I replace the boom which decided to give way when the tail didn't dodge Mother Earth. In fact the whole Banshee went in but looks pretty resilient!
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #283 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
Was this an improvement from before? I've had some vibrations on the boom from the tail belt. Very minor but present, basically a function of headspeed. I'm interested to get rid of them if possible as I replace the boom which decided to give way when the tail didn't dodge Mother Earth. In fact the whole Banshee went in but looks pretty resilient!
I compared the Vibration log files from a year ago and they are pretty similar.

The new HD motor belt seems to throw less vibrations at the motor frequency than the old belt. Maybe because it is thicker it doesn't vibrate as much. I remember feeling some vibration at the tail before that I'm not getting now. I replaced the tail hub, tail spindle and bearings, so that might be part of it.

I'll need to put it in the air and see how it all works as a unit, but I'm pretty well rained out for the next few days, so it may be next weekend before I can get her in the air.

I also used locktite between the boom and the tail rotor housing as per the manual and my tail bearings are not OEM. My tail bearings are rated for a much higher rpm range, but I'm not sure if they are rated for the same load. They are extremely smooth. Time will tell.

Last edited by mkovalcson; 10-10-2014 at 12:56 PM..
mkovalcson is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #284 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Got my Banshee dialed in today updated the firmware on my FBL controller and got some new vibration numbers for it. It is smoother than ever.

One thing I'm curious about is how tight the HD belt should be. I understood it should be looser than the standard belt, but I wasn't sure how much.

I spun it up to about 1900 rpm head speed with the belt pretty loose and it was vibrating quite a bit. I tightened it up some and my vibrations dropped some.

This is one smooth drive train! I felt ZERO vibrations on the boom at any headspeed.
I personally have the HD belt a fair bit tighter than the standard belt , the Contitech HD belts are 5 times stronger than stock , but not too tight as it can put too much load on the bearings in the motor , power loss and heat issues will arise , 1 thumb on 1 side of the belt you should get no more than 5 mm deflection
Fasster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #285 (permalink)
Registered Users

When i stripped my main belt (the big one) i had only just put the 4535 500kv motor in it, man that thing pulled!

So when that happened i put the 4530 back in. But now i cannot resist since i have the HD main belt from banshee, so ive just installed it along with new first stage belt.
Should be lots of fun to fly!

I feel there is balance of belt tension and belt life, too much tension damages the motor bearings fast. I just pulled my 4530 bearings out after 50 flights and correct tension and they feel as new, previously when too tight they were rough.

So 4535 here we come im ready baby. This along with improved dampers im really excited to fly this thing like i stole it
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #286 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have fun
Old 10-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #287 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HC where did you get the high performance main belt from? Don't see it in the parts listing.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #288 (permalink)
Registered Users

Banshee but had to ask
Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #289 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still shaking! I forgot how freaking fast this thing is!!!!!!

I was thinking before I went out this morning that surely I didn't have the cyclic acceleration numbers that low on purpose. Bumping them up was a mistake, but intoxicating too. I got into trouble a couple times because of how fast it was reacting so I'm going to drop them back a bit.

Last edited by mkovalcson; 10-18-2014 at 01:37 PM..
mkovalcson is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #290 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked the vibration log and was a bit surprised.

The HD belt was not tight enough and it was rubbing on the frame at the very center of the belt. I'm not sure if it "broke in" during my flights and stretched a bit in flight but it seems looser now.

I couldn't tell when I was flying, but it must have been flapping around quite a bit judging by some of the extreme vibrations it was generating when I kicked up the head speed to 2100 rpm.

I'm going to tighten it down again and hopefully that will fix things.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #291 (permalink)
Registered Users

We use a metal bar between bearing block and motor mount to tension the belt properly
Old 10-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #292 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
We use a metal bar between bearing block and motor mount to tension the belt properly
Set to a "perfect" length?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #293 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a Snapon large flat blade screwdriver , I can hold it in position with one hand and tighten the screws with the other , very easy way to tension belt on your own , just be careful lining the flat blade up at the bottom bearing block as not to hit the pulley below.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #294 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a simple easy solution.

I pulled back with my finger there and tightened the front most bolts, double checked the tension and then secured the rearmost bolts with loctite and then did the front.

I'll try a large flat screwdriver next time around. I have quite a few that could work.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #295 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Gerry,
Which motor is that???
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #296 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Checking the 4530 on my Banshee I discovered that I've managed to unscrew my motor's bolt at the top of the outer can on it's last flight and unplanned landing. Any advice on what to do to verify its ok and how to reassemble?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #297 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it is the bolt on top of the can, it is not a big deal, Scorpion started to use that as the helical gears in helis can pull the shaft down past the three grubscrews that prevents rotation of the shaft inside the endbell. It is not necessary for belted helis like the Banshee. If you want to just tighten it with a bit of locktite.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #298 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
If it is the bolt on top of the can, it is not a big deal, Scorpion started to use that as the helical gears in helis can pull the shaft down past the three grubscrews that prevents rotation of the shaft inside the endbell. It is not necessary for belted helis like the Banshee. If you want to just tighten it with a bit of locktite.
Cool. Thanks. Looks like it was forced out due to resistance from main shaft not turning. First stage belt forced upwards as well removing top guide of pinion.

Last edited by Raptorapture; 10-20-2014 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #299 (permalink)
Registered Users

it was time to give my Banshee a makeover for this summer

new motor Scorpion 4535 500 on 14S , , tail bearings (were noisy and getting sloppy) , pulley bearings , new 1st and 2nd stage belts , Vbar Control TX , blades mains and tails , new TP 7S 4400 G8's Lipo's made into 14S stick packs , got rid of EC5's and am now using CC 6.5mm polarized . Spent a bit on her but the pleasure this bird has given me is unmeasurable , i feel i have not spent enough on her.but i did spend many hours rewiring her to doll her up a little and gave her a polish .

ready to bend some air

Old 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #300 (permalink)
HF Support

Very neat job Andrew ! Looks great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in