Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #341 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use cello tape on the boom to give the tail box something to grip on to. As for pining your boom just use a really short bolt that barely passes the boom wall. And if you do it dead centre on the side then it shouldn't rub the belt even if the bolt is a little too long.

This doesn't seem to be a big issue for belt drives as the worst case is that the box slips 10-15° and you loose a little tail authority mid flight (not dramatic enough to prevent a beginner from landing).
It's a big issue for TT as the boom has the possibility of sliping out of the front TT drive gear and you will lose all tail control and spiral into a horrible fiery crash.
I pinned my boom on my EFL up at the boom block as a precaution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #342 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post
Luv that scale fuse hydmech!

JMD,
I was wondering about that with my HK500. I have the Trex CNC tail on it and it does not have a dimple on it that fits into the hole on the tail boom. It feels like it's tight enough but if you drill into it wouldn't you have sharp edges that the belt could be torn on? Same with any bolt you used, couldn't that cause problems with the belt?
What's the best way to go about securing it without risking belt damage?

as steemo said you use a small hole and screw if you can..there is a decent amount of clearance back there...my tail box has a little window in it where you can see the boom through it...makes a nice guide to drill it...i'm going to use a small bit..drill it..and use a small metal self tapping screw with a washer to secure it...have done it with my 450's and my K2FP as well with good results...
Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #343 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks for the tips guys.

My Trex build is coming together slowly.

https://www.helifreak.com/album.php?...ictureid=65443
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #344 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice guys!

I still need to create my thread

In the meantime I keep reading your and steemos
RCHN #15

PauloG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #345 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice pic updates in ur album OLP, it's looking good.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #346 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Very nice guys!

I still need to create my thread

In the meantime I keep reading your and steemos
Gladiator,
Just in case you planned on starting a build thread here on the Honey Bee forum, please just jump in on this thread or the "Bee guys gone Trex" thread instead.
This is a HBFP forum so we're trying to keep our Trex clone/Trex build posts in just a couple threads.

Our Moderator has been kind enough to allow us a little freedom.

What heli are you getting? Is it the Tarot I see in your signature? If you start your thread elsewhere, let me know where okay?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #347 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
Nice pic updates in ur album OLP, it's looking good.
Thanks Steemo!
I'm going to make another attempt this weekend to fly my HK500. The weather is supposed to be nice, but now I see it may be windy. The wind usually dies down in the evening. I hope it does.

My son is coming over again to be my cameraman and I'm finally feeling better.

I am bouncing back and forth on these tx settings though. You and JMD both make a good argument on why you prefer certain settings, and I trust both of you, but can't decide which one to try first.

I guess I'll just pick one and try it. I'm just not telling you guys which one!
I know it really comes down to personal preference, but at this point not having flown my 500, I don't know yet what I prefer! I'll just take one step at a time.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #348 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Steemo!
I'm going to make another attempt this weekend to fly my HK500. The weather is supposed to be nice, but now I see it may be windy. The wind usually dies down in the evening. I hope it does.

My son is coming over again to be my cameraman and I'm finally feeling better.

I am bouncing back and forth on these tx settings though. You and JMD both make a good argument on why you prefer certain settings, and I trust both of you, but can't decide which one to try first.

I guess I'll just pick one and try it. I'm just not telling you guys which one!
I know it really comes down to personal preference, but at this point not having flown my 500, I don't know yet what I prefer! I'll just take one step at a time.
just do what feels right for you and makes you comfortable...it will fly either way!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #349 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation First blood

Well I blew it. Cut myself up.
See the pictures in the helicopter safety section.

I'm embarrassed to post it, but if it saves someone else the same injuries or worse, it's worth it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #350 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Gladiator,
Just in case you planned on starting a build thread here on the Honey Bee forum, please just jump in on this thread or the "Bee guys gone Trex" thread instead.
This is a HBFP forum so we're trying to keep our Trex clone/Trex build posts in just a couple threads.

Our Moderator has been kind enough to allow us a little freedom.

What heli are you getting? Is it the Tarot I see in your signature? If you start your thread elsewhere, let me know where okay?

Yeah... thanks for the heads up... when I create my thread It will prob be under the Trex 500 section.

Quote:

I'm embarrassed to post it, but if it saves someone else the same injuries or worse, it's worth it.
I just saw that... OMG!!!
RCHN #15

PauloG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #351 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Oh no! Sorry about that. I hope you recover quickly, and continue working on your bird!

Before I connect a battery on the desk, I always unplug the motor. ALWAYS!
Even on the Bee.
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #352 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to read of your misfortune OLP. Just glad it wasn't worse. Here's to a speedy recovery

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #353 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the kind words guys but this was not misfortune but just plain old stupidly ignoring a safety rule that I was very aware of.
If the tail blades had been tight, and the main blades not just clipped my elbow, I'd have had to get stitched up.

My other stupid move was not double checking what I set my throttle curve to. Not making excuses but the roller on my DX6I is difficult to roll to change values without pressing on it and causing it to "enter". It's a pain sometimes to change things without having to start over. Maybe it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Anyway, after bandaging my arm I took the heli outside where it belongs and ran it up. Sounds great! As it got light on the skids it started to tilt over to the right, the tail, which had been sitting there just fine suddenly swung towards the right in reaction to the change. I dropped the throttle quick before it got worse.

My guess, but I think I need to completely start over on the head and servo set up again and triple check everything unless you guys know what specifically might be wrong.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #354 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys but this was not misfortune but just plain old stupidly ignoring a safety rule that I was very aware of.
If the tail blades had been tight, and the main blades not just clipped my elbow, I'd have had to get stitched up.

My other stupid move was not double checking what I set my throttle curve to. Not making excuses but the roller on my DX6I is difficult to roll to change values without pressing on it and causing it to "enter". It's a pain sometimes to change things without having to start over. Maybe it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Anyway, after bandaging my arm I took the heli outside where it belongs and ran it up. Sounds great! As it got light on the skids it started to tilt over to the right, the tail, which had been sitting there just fine suddenly swung towards the right in reaction to the change. I dropped the throttle quick before it got worse.

My guess, but I think I need to completely start over on the head and servo set up again and triple check everything unless you guys know what specifically might be wrong.

the tail swinging could be a gyro adjustment issue...if in head holding mode and adjusted right for the heli it should hold it steady right off the bat. The heli leaning over hard on spin up could be one blade not tracked right...could be something else loose...one servo moving more than another....a few things possibly..

really just glad you are ok and not more seriously hurt....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #355 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
the tail swinging could be a gyro adjustment issue...if in head holding mode and adjusted right for the heli it should hold it steady right off the bat. The heli leaning over hard on spin up could be one blade not tracked right...could be something else loose...one servo moving more than another....a few things possibly..

really just glad you are ok and not more seriously hurt....
The tail was holding steady until the helicopter tipped, so I think the gyro is okay?

As stubborn as I am, rather then struggle through this I've contacted a local RC club I found and have asked them if they have someone I could meet with to help me out. I've spent a lot of money on this hobby and want to be successful with it and get my money's worth.

Please don't take offense guys....
I just think someone helping me in person would be a big help to me. More then anything I wish we could all get together in person! What a blast we'd have! Probably get the cops called on us!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #356 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
The tail was holding steady until the helicopter tipped, so I think the gyro is okay?

Well, there are two issues to tail setup:
1) Getting the tail geometery setup
2) Getting the gyro setup

The fact that the tail held OK to start with suggests that the tail geometery is fine. The fact that it didn't hold when the heli tipped suggests that the gyro isn't fine.

On simple spool up, the gyro does very little. To start with, the torque produced is minimal, which is just as well, as you have no tail authority anyway. It should all pretty much increase in balance, with minimal effort needed to keep it in line. The gyro is doing very little at this point. The gyro comes into play when some external force tries to turn the heli (external force over and above rotor torque). THEN the gyro should hold the heli (ie, if the heli tips, the tail should hold straight etc). With a HH gyro, this should be pretty rigid. With a rate mode gyro, it will try to resist the rate of turn, but not necessarily return the heli to the original heading.

Can't fault you on finding some one on one individual help! I personally think that trying to build a 500 size heli on your own as your first CP was a MASSIVE step from an HBFP. Help and support from a club for me has been an enormous boon; you can't beat someone physically pointing to a part and saying "No, it should go like this!"
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #357 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post

Can't fault you on finding some one on one individual help!
+1

If you can get that kind of help, grab it!

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #358 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdots View Post
+1

If you can get that kind of help, grab it!
+2

I had a local guy help me originally with gyro setup and steer me right..on-the-spot expertise is invaluable!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #359 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the head all set up with help from an RC club member. We didn't get to work on the gyro because all of a sudden, I have no throttle response until 1/4 before full throttle!? WTH???

We checked all through the tx settings, and the ESC beeps on power up as it did before and there's power to the servos. Is the ESC bad or did we miss something in the tx settings?

I'm going to check my ESC's programming and see if it's changed. Also, why am I getting some servo movement when flipping the throttle hold switch on and off?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #360 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Reset your throttle range, as you did before.
Then re-bind.

If that doesn't do it, I would suggest the ESC may be bad....but check the Tx first. Go into "Monitor" in the menu and then move the throttle around while you watch the Tx screen. Does it show full movement there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in