Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default renemay24

Welcome to the forum, I and others will try and help you. Congrats on your new KDS 450SV, I really like mine. I figured rather than post all your questions in a series of other posts, you can just put them here in one section. Plus I figure any answers you glean will eventually help someone else as well. Most of us had similar questions or concerns when we first opened up our brand new boxes and just got into the hobby. Very shiny and very cool - I still have photos of mine the day I opened it up and put it on my work bench. Meh - I'm geeky.

If you have not already fired up your heli and crashed into the mail box read on. If you have crashed into something, we can all try and help you fix your new helicopter.

First thing you will want to do is check the helicopter over very carefully. With mine there were some things not done correctly. I'll list them in no particular order:
Flybar paddles were not set correctly - should be flat to the earth
Head was not put together correctly - I had a part installed backwards
Tail servo was not centered - the little ball on the tail servo should be 90 degrees to the helicopter when resting.
Many screws were not tight

There is a short list of tools and other parts you'll want to pick up one way or another as well.

As for the flymentor and radio - wait on that. There is a forum here called Flight Stabilization - you can get all the answers you need about the flymentor there. I can also help if you need.
Your radio is set up for a beginner and you won't need to tweak much of it to start learning to hover - however I would still suggest you check your helicopter over before you do anything else. I can also try and post pictures for you if you need a visual reference to something.

- Enjoy, Dave
BaconWrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thank you so much! You guys are something else God bless. But no I have not crash it yet I did started it up took it out for a min or so and did not like the way it would not stay stedy. So I hooked it up to the heliball and I did not like what I the setting I did not change anything yet but I comperd it to other ones I have seen and it is not even close. I will not fly till I am sure about this settings. I toolk some photos of the screen on the heliball to comper so as soon as I figure how to send the pics to you I will. This is what I would need to see from someone that has the same model than me.
Thanks for your time
God bless
renemay24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	297179Reverse all on Nor Aileron -63 elevator -61 pitch 3 tail servo 0
[

Name:	3zy3gjot2kai.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	297180 Balancer gail 50 Neutral roll attitude (attack angel) 0
Horizontal and position mode Total sensor gain 3 Stick sensivity gain 10 Position mode only position sens.gain 10 Forward freewheel 10
Expert settings 3
Elevator gain 10
Stick response acceleration 3
Position speed 10
Manuel override ability

Name:	PIC 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	297181 Gyro sense 80 yaw rate 3 yaw expo 0 Pitch to tail mix 10 Servo travel limit 30
Sensor gain ,Tail delay, Heading hold angel range all at 10

Name:	PIC 5.jpg
Views:	63
ID:	297182 Reverse Nor on All TRAVEL 30,40,30

Name:	PIC 4.jpg
Views:	58
ID:	297183

Hi, here they are this is what it came with.something does not look right.can you help me? let me know if you can not read the #

Last edited by renemay24; 03-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: forgot to add
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is difficult for me to read the numbers, but - based on what you have typed - my guess is that your helicopter is not mechanically leveled. What this means is that who ever put your helicopter together used the helibal program to level your swash plate as opposed to taking the time to do it via the links. This is why your numbers are so far from mid point.
Have you checked over all your screws and other parts to ensure that nothing is loose or put together incorrectly?

When you plug in your battery, the helicopter will make a few beeps and then you'll see some minor movements as it initializes. After all the beeps, your swash plate, flybar paddles and servo horns should be level at mid stick. Be very careful when you move your transmitter sticks if you have not unplugged your motor, trusting the hold switch is risky. See the photo to get an idea what I mean.
Also, on your helicopter, are all the flymentor wires plugged into your receiver? or is the blue unattached?
The problem with the flymentor has been stated many times, it is an excellent beginner tool for learning to fly, however it is not a tool that a beginner can easily set up.
Take the time to read Ivor Hill's posts at the top of this link. This information is needed to understand just what the flymentor is doing and how it is doing it.
https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helitrytoteach.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	297417  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

At the risk of offending you, I'd like to know how much of the terminology you understand? Are you familiar with the terms pitch, servo, swash plate, pitch curve, throttle curve etc . . .
I ask because when I first started learning not to crash, I didn't know many of these terms and it took me a bit of time to know what I was looking at. I don't want to refer to something and you have no idea what I am referring to.
Your 450SV is set up based on someones best guess as to what a beginner needs to start flying. Your radio will be set very basic but it will not be optimized for flight.
Have you taken a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the settings in your radio menu?

Can you take a photo of your helicopter for me so I can just take a look at it? Any side view will be fine.

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default FLYMENTOR

Hi, and thanks again. i just think i am over my head on this one. i was realy excited about this but it is starting to feel a bit overwhelming, and no offence taken here when you are going out of your way to help. I do understand of the terminology.i will take a few pics when i get home and send them. do you want it with the heli and tx on?
thanks so much for all your help i hope i can enjoy sometime soon.

GOD bless
Rene
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nah

Nah, you're not over your head. The issue is that RTF does not really mean Ready To Fly.
But you won't really need to do very much to get that first hover and that is a really cool feeling. (heh - I have pics of that as well.)
Keep faith.
A picture with the servo arms centered would be cool so I can get a reference as to how level things are. The main issue with the helicopter is leveling parts and minimizing vibration so that when you try and lift off the heli doesn't go skidding off in some odd direction and crash into the mail box. Just be careful when you operate the helicopter radio if you have the motor plugged in. I no longer trust the hold switch on my radio after having the heli jump off my table and crash into the couch.
Nothing that you might have to adjust is difficult - just time consuming and it will teach you a lot. Give it a week or two and you'll be posting answers to someone who makes the statement, "I'm a beginner and why did my helicopter hit the mail box?"

- All smiles, Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default ha

ha, you sure mention the mail box alot. i take it you must have some experience with it. is there a way i can maybe send a video ? i am having mager surgery that will keep me home 6 to 8 weeks HOPEFULY I WILL BE BACK GOD willing. but i would really like to get this going before march 21st the big day.

thanks Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave, I cannot read your settings but what I can see concerns me but at the moment only the ones on the advance page.
What are you useing to programme FM ? Hand held controller or PC and if PC what OS are you useing, XP, vista Windows 7 what ?.
I ask this because the helibal programme will only work correctly with XP. Some have got it working with other OS but it does not work correctly it changes the settings to different random settings every time you load from FM to Helibal.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default FLYMENTOR

i am useing vista but i did order the hand held one. i have noticed that on my Tx everyone talks about H1 but on mine it shows M1 why?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Useing vista could explain all the odd settings. Are you shure Vista is working and you are able to change and load settings ?. Exactly what model TX is it ?.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

renemay, Ivor Hill can take over the flymentor questions, he is much better at the thing than I.

Ivor, renemay's radio is the KDS K-7XII and when you turn it on, if you hit the up button above the menu button, you'll see a change from M1 to HL1. The radio will be configured very basic. From memory it will be set as: all swash will be limited to 50%, EPA set to -100 and +100 for all channels, no trim settings, rates set at 100/60, exp will be 0, gyro is probably set at 100/-100, will probably have a linear throttle and pitch curve.
Flymentor sensitivity will be controlled by the AUX (chan 7) in the radio which I think is set at default 80 for both modes.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi, i am renemay24 Dave was trying to help me. vista is working and it does allow me to make changes.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok but if you read the settings from FM to Helibal are they correct or do they change to different settings every time you read from FM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default FLYMENTOR

see i am sorry this is what i dont understand! when you say read from FM what does that mean? when i plug it in to the usb to the FM i get the settings you saw. i dont get that reading part. it just shows connect on the bottom.ok i think i understand and yes every time it is the same reading.

Last edited by renemay24; 03-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: add
Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok but I am surprised because it should not work but lets assume it is. Some questions.
The LED on fm should be flashing green is it ?.
When you tip the heli in any direction does the swash tip in thje opposite direction to correct ?.
Are the stick directions correct ?.
Find the pitch curve in your TX is it set to 0-25-50-75-100 ?. If not then set it to that.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default FLYMENTOR

yes it flashes green fast and yes when i tilt it it does move to the opposite direction.by the stick directions you mean up down left right all that is good also.as soon as i get home i will connect again and send you better pic's of the helibal screen and it's readings.

Last edited by renemay24; 03-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: add
Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	297650

here is one of my pics to see if you noyice some thing not in place. i also noticed that when i start it up it shakes when i give it throttle and also why does it feel like i have to give it alot of throttle to make it lift.

thanks so much for your time.
Rene

Last edited by renemay24; 03-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: add
Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

here is another one. why cant it be stable? helpClick image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	297656
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see nothing out of place but for now disconnect the blue wire from the receiver and disconnect the motor.
I need you to check that your pitch curve is set at 0-25-50-75-100 then check that all the settings on the helibal mounting page and the advance page are the same as the settings shown in the manuel if they are not change them so they are the same and write to FM, exept for balancer gain on the advance page set that to 0, this will switch fm off and the LED will change to red.
When you have done this move the throttle to midway ( 50 ) and post some pic's of the head assembly. If it is set up correctly the servo arms will be horizontal, swash plate level, lower and upper mixing arms and flybar cage horizontal and aligned with each other. The blades should be flat 0 pitch.
You are going to need a pitch gauge so it you dont have one, order one.
You say the heli is shaking please explain more, have you crashed it ?.
You should also check out Finless Bobs tech room on this site and watch his video on setting up a Trex 450. It will be a little different to your's because the elevator servo is mounted at the rear of the swash but the princibal is the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in