Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Project Blade SR "Pro" - Brushless Tail

M52,

Does your battery drain quickier with having the bl tail motor and another esc?

Also, can you use that gyro on the stock tail motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
M52,

Does your battery drain quickier with having the bl tail motor and another esc?

Also, can you use that gyro on the stock tail motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

Yes the detrum gyro would be a upgrade for the stock tail motor and ESC.

Running in idle up the entire flight I am seeing flight times around 8 minutes with mild 3d (loops, rolls, inverted) and FFF.
M52 POWER! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I am trying the BL motor route. Installed the parts and had to get myself a new grip so I found the CNC versions, came with links, nuts and bolts for the blades and all the bearings required, nice upgrade I think.

Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcruiser View Post
Well I am trying the BL motor route. Installed the parts and had to get myself a new grip so I found the CNC versions, came with links, nuts and bolts for the blades and all the bearings required, nice upgrade I think.
Looks good - what motor is that? Also, can you show off the wiring a bit better? I think that's what most of us have a question about. Maybe a schema/larger picture?

Have you flown it yet?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks very good starcruiser. I can't say enough how bad the stock eflite gyro is though, the $17 detrum is a great gyro and upgrade.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
Looks very good starcruiser. I can't say enough how bad the stock eflite gyro is though, the $17 detrum is a great gyro and upgrade.
M52, i'm sure you've said, but can you post link again to where to get the detrum servo and model? Thanks In Advance
Southern Heart Soaps Lotions & Potions
hueman09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman09 View Post
M52, i'm sure you've said, but can you post link again to where to get the detrum servo and model? Thanks In Advance
All the parts he's mentioned are in the beginning of the thread w/ links.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
All the parts he's mentioned are in the beginning of the thread w/ links.
Thanks Jay, I did a search on the thread but must not have done the search proper
Southern Heart Soaps Lotions & Potions
hueman09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman09 View Post
Thanks Jay, I did a search on the thread but must not have done the search proper
No worries
Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Looks good - what motor is that? Also, can you show off the wiring a bit better? I think that's what most of us have a question about. Maybe a schema/larger picture?

Have you flown it yet?

Yes, I flew it earlier, definitely way less wag, working on the gyro, trying a piezo unit might try the E-Flite one too just to see how it reacts with a better motor.

The only draw back is the tail motor runs all the time even with the TH on. I am playing with the Mixes and will see if I can come up with a happy median.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcruiser View Post
The only draw back is the tail motor runs all the time even with the TH on. I am playing with the Mixes and will see if I can come up with a happy median.
That sucks! Any way around that?... Didn't think about that and just placed my order - lol...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Have you flown it yet?

Last edited by Starcruiser; 04-07-2010 at 09:29 AM..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

these are the parts. The tail motor is what the LHS had in stock, it is a BL 3850KV motor 3s

Last edited by Starcruiser; 04-07-2010 at 07:57 AM..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Carl - Larger pictures pleeeease! Just kidding - thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Stopping the tail in Hold/No throttle

Love the brushless tail conversions
How hot are the motors running? On fixed wing the 4000KV motors on 3 cells would be too wild and would be burning out, I guess the tail motor isn't running near full speed all the time
How many flights have your got out of them so far?

Here's my idea for stopping the tail motor from spinning when the rotors aren't turning
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8833
Just a theory but should work
"Y" this to the receiver's throttle channel and use it to power the tail motor esc
If it works as I expect, the tail esc would get it's power once the main esc goes above 50%, should be fine as it can handle 10A, as long as it's quick enough to respond
Shame the 50% isn't adjustable, I guess this would be OK, unless you went below 50% on decent, this isn't stick position, it's the level going to the main esc

I'll try it when I do a brushless conversion, but that won't be for a little while

For those trying to stop the tail with mixes, what happens if you set the remote gyro gain to 0%? (would need to modify end points on the gyro channel) If this disabled the tail, then with some clever mixing you may be able to use this as an option
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Guys in order to stop the tail rotor from running in throttle hold I use the following mix in my DX7:

mix2
thro-->rudd
rate 0%
-125%
sw:hold
offset: 0

Works great

Also the arming sequence is unique too.

1. Throttle hold off, Normal mix on, throttle stick down all the way (duh ).
2. Plug lipo into heli, let it initialize the main esc and gyro (gyro light will go from blinking to constant on).
3. Flick throttle hold to ON on the TX, the tail ESC now initializes (the custom mix above sends full left signal to the rudder channel. The tail ESC sees this as "low" and initializes).

As far as how hot the motors are getting; The main motor is barely warm and the tail motor is warm, but not very much. After a flight I could comfortably hold my finger on it for 10+ seconds. I'm using the stock blue heatsink on it too with some thermal paste.

Oh and newbies take note in starcruiser's first giant photo, the servo wire lead from his tail esc to RX has the positive pin pulled. This is very important so you don't get BEC's conflicting together.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BTW, those are the last of the 5MP photos I will scale them down again.

And yes the positive pin of the tail ESC was pulled to avoid power supply conflicts. I was thinking of checking the gyro and see if the positive power pin is straight thru, thus I could pull the gyro instead and use the tail ESC to power the tail components. Hummm.

Motor is warm, I installed the heat sink also (see photo above) to avoid any over heating, tail is running about 50% or less so I do not think it will have issues.

I will try that mix M52 and see if that works, I am using a DX6i so I hope that works the same.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this mod compatible with the stock TX and ESC?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could use the stock ESC and Yes the Rx is fine, I am not sure about the stock Tx though, I use a DX6i. You need to add at a minimum another ESC for the BL tail motor and change the wiring a bit.

I would recommend another Tx since you need more tweak-ability than what the stock one provides IMO
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
Guys in order to stop the tail rotor from running in throttle hold I use the following mix in my DX7:

mix2
thro-->rudd
rate 0%
-125%
sw:hold
offset: 0

Works great

Also the arming sequence is unique too.

1. Throttle hold off, Normal mix on, throttle stick down all the way (duh ).
2. Plug lipo into heli, let it initialize the main esc and gyro (gyro light will go from blinking to constant on).
3. Flick throttle hold to ON on the TX, the tail ESC now initializes (the custom mix above sends full left signal to the rudder channel. The tail ESC sees this as "low" and initializes).

As far as how hot the motors are getting; The main motor is barely warm and the tail motor is warm, but not very much. After a flight I could comfortably hold my finger on it for 10+ seconds. I'm using the stock blue heatsink on it too with some thermal paste.

Oh and newbies take note in starcruiser's first giant photo, the servo wire lead from his tail esc to RX has the positive pin pulled. This is very important so you don't get BEC's conflicting together.

Well I had a few at lunch to try this and it is a bit different on the DX6i, there is not option for the TH "Hold" just the other switches, I chose the AILE D/R switch

The MIX settings for a DX6i are;

THRO > RUDD ACT

RATE L +125% R 0%

SW AIL D/R TRIM INH

This seems to allow power up without having to pull the rudder to the left and a way to power down the tail for safety.

Still need to wait until the power up cycle for the main ESC and Gyro (in HH mode) and then flip- the control switch (AIL D/R) to allow the tail ESC to arm. When ready to fly, take it out of TH and flip the AIL switch all is good. I wish I had the hold option for a single switch activate, but it is what it is for now.

Now to mess with the gyro settings some more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in