Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 255

Hurricane 255 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 255

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My brass washer was sliding on the tail shaft too. I just took it off and haven't looked back. It doesn't seem to provide value, only cause vib issues on my bird. It was too loose in the hole on the tail to provide any support.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

With the brass bushing out of the hole, what little vibration there was with the tail completely in order seems to have been severely amplified now with the bushing out. The tail shaft now has a wobble when it turns with the bushing out. I'd better leave the bushing in. The problem is I just cant get it to stay put.

I'm still looking for the right washers to hold that tail bearing in. Still no luck...

I never wrecked my X2. I should not have to be going through this right now.
glarepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, that sucks. You could go low tech and tape the bushing in. If you use something like a scotch tape, it would keep the bushing in, but yet you could punch the tail shaft through. I'd check your bearings for slop/wear while you're at it.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Nobody here knows where I can get a washer thats slightly bigger than the one provided by GAUI? The manual says the size of the washers are P1.4 X 2.5 X 0.4
I need the diameter of the hole to stay the same, but I want to increase the width of the outer part by at least 0.4

Is it the second number I need to increase? Out of curiosity does anybody know what the P stands for? Where do I get these washers?? Can anybody please tell me how I can get the bushing to stay in?
Thanks for the scotch tape advice Gravity but I dont think thats going to hold up very long. I want to get back up in the air, and stay in the air.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine usually ends up sticking to the pitch slider, never caused an issue, if yours vibrates if the bushing moves then it sounds like the bearing is shot.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
mine usually ends up sticking to the pitch slider,
It shouldnt do that desert. Thats another design flaw. The bushing should stay put dude.

I havent checked the big tail bearing yet, but I have a feeling you're right about the bearing being shot. But come on, REALLY?! After only 10 flights and no wrecks, and no 3D only sport flying.

Sorry, I'm just pissed off right now because I invested more money into this X2 than I did with my first T-REX450 SE and I never had these kind of design issues pop up with it. It was, and still is a reliable machine.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarepro View Post
It shouldnt do that. Thats another design flaw. The bushing should stay put dude.
Its not a bushing, and i wouldn't want it to be, its way to small to touch the tail case, as far as i can tell it is either there to keep crud out of the bearing or to act as a stop for the pitch slider. There is a bushing inside the pitch slider, but thats not going anywhere.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Its not a bushing,
Does the tail shaft spin inside of its hole?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does the tail shaft spin inside of its hole?
Nope, it spins with the shaft, since thats all its touching... You really want a bushing instead of a bearing in a 15K RPM tail?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

No way. I would choose a bearing over a bushing 100% of the time. The only problem is they dont make bearings that small, and even if they did, whats to stop it from coming loose like the small brass bushing did (or washer / or whatever you want to call it)?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anybody try this servo on the tail?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11854
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Though I have often ordered from Hobby king, they remind me of a site called Deal Extreme--which has really low-priced items which sometimes have a lot of reviews with people saying that it's nice stuff, and good quality. Then you order it, and it's the cheapest useless junk you've ever seen. I'm not saying this servo is like that, but for $6? Yeah it probably is. If you can afford to run a rather pricey X2, why try to save a few pennies on critical components?
Beckler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
If you can afford to run a rather pricey X2, why try to save a few pennies on critical components?
+1
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No way. I would choose a bearing over a bushing 100% of the time. The only problem is they dont make bearings that small, and even if they did, whats to stop it from coming loose like the small brass bushing did (or washer / or whatever you want to call it)?
They make extremely small bearings, think a mm diameter total. There is already a bearing in the tail case (2 in fact but the small one nearest the rotor is the one i am talking about) behind that brass washer.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

I'm waiting on some GAUI washers to arrive from Empire. I'll let you guys know how the fix goes. I also receieved some special washers from a hardware supply company I found online.
These are bigger than the 1.4 X 2.5 X 0.4 washers GAUI provides to hold in the big tail bearing so they should work to hold in the bearing. I'll be using green locktight too just for peice of mind on the outside of the big tail bearing and also on the brass bushing (GAUI calls it a washer but its actually acting as a bushing, its 2 X 3.5 X1).

Last edited by glarepro; 05-09-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
also on the brass bushing (GAUI calls it a washer but its actually acting as a bushing, its 2 X 3.5 X1).
Your going to wear something out, no way a bushing will work there. It has been stated before, if your tail misbehaves with that washer/spacer missing (from what we can figure out it is to stop the pitch slider hitting the tail case) then there is something wrong with either the bearings or the tail case itself. I had one where the hole for the smaller bearing was too large, causing it to wobble about at produce lots of vibration.

trying to use that brass washer as a bushing is going to result in tail failure.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #37 (permalink)

Ok, I took the X2's tail apart this morning and its exactly what I suspected.
The 1.4 X 2.5 X 0.4 washers GAUI provides to hold in the big tail bearing literally disintegrated around the edges so there was no material left on the washer to hold the bearing in. Also, the big tail bearing is burned out. Thats why I saw the shim inbetween the bearing and the pulley. I expect this to possibly happen after maybe 50-100 flights, but after only 10 flights or so and no wrecks and no 3D!? Oh well. I already spent the money so now I'm going to try and fix it so that I can keep her up in the air longer. Hopefuly nothing else seriously goes wrong. I'm going to use green loctite to secure the 2 X 3.5 X1 washer (GAUI calls it a washer but its actually acting as a bushing in this case) to the tail case. I'm also going to use bigger better (stainless) washers to hold the tail bearing in this way I dont have to loctite the bearing as this is always a risky procedure because you can lock up your bearing if the loctite get inside of it.
I'll let you all know how it goes after its all done and she's been flown at least 5-10 times. I hope she holds up this time for at least around 50+ flights or so without having to do any major service or repairs.

Last edited by glarepro; 05-15-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a countershunk washer (Part no. 203663) to hold the larger bearing in.

IMHO, the stock tail bearings are of poor quality. I used to break them in a row until I updated to this bearing. It is pricey but does really good job. So far it has last more than 200 flights: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...8/MF72ZZ-2x7x3
Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

LOL! Surprise, surprise!! Its impossible to loctite the washer.

I found another ill designed component. The reason why the 2 X 3.5 X1 washer is poping out of the tail case is because it is too small to function as intended (or perhaps GAUI was too cheap to buy the right sized washers and figured they could get away with using whatever they have overstock of on hand). In any event, thats two washers on the X2 tail that are designed being the wrong size (outer diameter is too small).

Now I have to run the heli as suggested by some of you posters (without the washer), or special order some bigger ones so I can put one in there that will actually function as intended.

So for now, the X2 is still grounded.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
LOL! Surprise, surprise!! Its impossible to loctite the washer.

I found another ill designed component. The reason why the 2 X 3.5 X1 washer is poping out of the tail case is because it is too small to function as intended (or perhaps GAUI was too cheap to buy the right sized washers and figured they could get away with using whatever they have overstock of on hand). In any event, thats two washers on the X2 tail that are designed being the wrong size (outer diameter is too small).

Now I have to run the heli as suggested by some of you posters (without the washer), or special order some bigger ones so I can put one in there that will actually function as intended.

So for now, the X2 is still grounded.
I am sure i have stated this before, the washer on the tail shaft is NOT A BUSHING nor should it function as one, it is there solely as a spacer to stop the pitch slider hitting the tail case. That is the reason it is "too small" so it does not contact the tail case and wear a hole in it.

Trying to make it function as a bushing (to what end i have no idea since there is a bearing there already) is going to make things worse.

Tags
gaui, help needed, hurricane 255, tail drifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in