Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is wild too much

I have a mild kit and love it but would like a little more punch, would a wild motor be too much for a small apartment and a new pilot? Could I just limit the throttle curve to tame it indoors?
Robg68 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
I have a mild kit and love it but would like a little more punch, would a wild motor be too much for a small apartment and a new pilot? Could I just limit the throttle curve to tame it indoors?
I don't think it would be too much, just play with the throttle curves until you like it. Be aware that you'll likely lose a little efficiency with lower curves, but the governor works wonders keeping efficiency up with lower curves as compared to an ungoverned setup. I like my wild setup a lot more than the mild, which seemed to have about the same or just a tiny bit more power than the stock motor. And all it took was soldering the wild motor in place of the mild one and resetting the throttle curves.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my opinion better to have more power and you can just tweak it to your liking.

Besides adjusting the throttle curves you can also add expo and adjust the dual rate so it is not as twitchy or fast if you are still learning.

I'm in Queens also if you ever want to check out a dbl bl wild nano cpx let me know
Mcpx BL2
profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Where do you fly?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
Where do you fly?
At home, or in the backyard

Sometimes Kissena park, and Cunningham park.
Mcpx BL2
profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
I don't think it would be too much, just play with the throttle curves until you like it. Be aware that you'll likely lose a little efficiency with lower curves, but the governor works wonders keeping efficiency up with lower curves as compared to an ungoverned setup. I like my wild setup a lot more than the mild, which seemed to have about the same or just a tiny bit more power than the stock motor. And all it took was soldering the wild motor in place of the mild one and resetting the throttle curves.
I too am considering the switch from mild too wild,and was wondering what batteries you were using when you made the switch,and also am i to assume the the original "pjack" brushless contorler capable of handling the wild power plant.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran with the wild setup for a little bit (a few weeks). I was running the Oversky 200mAh 35C batteries with the governed TC at 78% (or somewhere around there… could have been 76%). Anyways, that was way too fast for me. Sometimes I thought that heli was going to tear itself apart (i.e. the head speed was so fast). It obviously had a little bit of vibes, but I would take the FS out and it rolled flat/clean and the blades were balanced with blade tracking perfectly also. It didn’t actually tear itself apart, it was just really really fast head speed. The bird had tons of power for maneuvers (even at 78%TC), but it would run the batteries down very quick (lower power after 2min, then you would want to set her down by 3min). I would be very afraid to go above 80%TC as suggested by AD’s setup/installation page. Oh, also, my tail would blow out more (farther) and more often with the wild motor. Kinda unpredictable when the tail would blow out, i.e. it would hold on pitch pumps, but not on other maneuvers.

Also, the head speed is so fast any crash indoors will absolutely tear stuff up (furniture & heli). Don’t even think about accidentally hitting yourself with the blades (did that a couple times with the stock brushed – it hurt, but no problems; if you hit yourself with the wild, you will bleed). Also, all my crashes with the wild in the backyard (grass), if you don’t hit TH in time, it “immediately” wears down a tooth on the main gear. I went thru a bunch of main gears in my short time on the wild. So for me, switching to the wild defeated the purpose of the nano, which is to have something that I can fly indoors, and if it crashes, there is no damage (or very very little). And I know this is possible, because I do it with my mild setup.

Also, I tried running at 68% TC, but it really didn’t like that. The tail would blow out like crazy. Basically, it seemed that it was just pulling so much Amps at the low speed, it was starving everything else. It seems that it NEEDS to run at a higher %TC. Also, AD’s setup instructions say the wild motor likes >80%, so 68% is way off from that.

I will also concede (admit my test wasn’t completely fair) that it is basically suggested everywhere to use bigger batteries (like the glacier 250 mAh or the hyperion 240’s, or mpcx 300’s), but never got that far. I just didn’t like the way it flew. I went back to mild. Mild has plenty of power for me (72%TC).

...Oh, and yes, i used the XP3A that comes with the mild kit. The question was asked elsewhere and basically everybody seemed to say that the XP3A will work with the wild.
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Is wild too much

The XP3A BLHeli settings are the same for both the mild and wild motor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I switched to the wild motor a few weeks ago, I like the way it flies but it does draw blood now. I get good flight times with the glacier 250 batteries.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish there was a motor inbetween the mild and wild. Something like 14,500 kv or 15,000. Any one know of other brushless motor options?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardur View Post
I wish there was a motor inbetween the mild and wild. Something like 14,500 kv or 15,000. Any one know of other brushless motor options?
Why? Just get a wild motor and run a lower flat throttle curve.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
Why? Just get a wild motor and run a lower flat throttle curve.

Guapo was saying even at a 78% curve it seemed too fast. I'll probably get a wild and try it, but it would be nice to have one in the middle.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardur View Post
Guapo was saying even at a 78% curve it seemed too fast. I'll probably get a wild and try it, but it would be nice to have one in the middle.
That is the beauty of an ESC flashed with the BLHeli code. You can tame down a higher kV motor to respond like a lesser motor and then crank it up for all it's worth. If 78% is too fast, turn it down until it is more suitable. You also save money in changing out motor once you progress to something faster. And you will.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

First, I would say that I trust NCcraig’s opinion over mine. He know’s his stuff.

Second, I’ll clarify my previous post. 78% throttle gave me a head speed that was too fast for ME. I can definitely see how people would like their head speeds that fast and prefer them that way – maybe even faster than 78%. It was just too fast for me.

Third, I’m not sure that you can tame down a wild ALLLL the way. What I mean is that I ran the wild at 68% throttle and it didn’t respond right. Basically, if I were to provide my conjecture on what was happening: The head speed was probably about the speed I liked it in hover (a little faster than my mild setup), but when I would punch it, the motor would bog and TBO - like the higher KV motor would require way more Amps than the ESC/Main board/battery/wires could deliver. You would think that the Wild motor tamed way down would have a lot of “headroom” for the governor to help, but it just couldn’t do it (TBO and bogging). But also, my setup wasn’t a completely fair comparison (not the recommended batteries).

Chardur, I say get the wild and try out the headspeeds. 78% technically “worked” for me (just not my preference), and 68% didn’t work on my heli. You might be OK with 78%. Heck, some people like it even faster than that. Or if 78% is too fast, you might be OK with 73%. And the future benefit is that when you want the additional headspeed, you can just change the TC setting in your TX and bam: instant upgrade (what NCcraig said).
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday I played with headspeed on a wild nano. 85 % and above got me 96 or 97Hz (5700RPM) and 75% throttle got 94Hz (5600 RPM). At 72% throttle the little guy slowed to 84Hz (5000 RPM) and 70% netted 74Hz (4400 RPM)

The ratio (% throttle : RPM) is not linear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in