Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Advice for configuring receivers -- get a Jetibox!

My R9 receivers arrived last night. After binding the first one to the TX I went into the Jetibox emulator on my DC-16 to configure it to PPM out to connect to my HC3SX units.

While looking for the PPM out option I found a option that said "receiver mode" and it was set to "normal." So I pushed the left arrow key thinking the other option would be "PPM" and the receiver immediately lost link with the TX. I was not able to rebind or connect to the receiver in any way.

Thinking I killed the receiver, I called Esprit this morning. Turns out that I switched the receiver from "normal" to "clone" mode (so you can use multiple receivers in one model.) Unfortunately, to set the receiver back to normal mode requires a direct plug-in connection to a Jetibox or Profibox-- which the DC/DS 16 can't do as the transmitters can only do the Jetibox functions over a wireless connection. Esprit said they'd switch the receiver back for me if I shipped it back but realizing I could easily make the same mistake again I bought a Jetibox for $39 so I can do it myself.

Thus, my advice is spend the extra $39 and get yourself a Jetibox "just in case."

Also, the option I was looking for (which I found on my second receiver) was "output mode"-- If you switch it from "servo" to "PPM" then the PPM out works perfectly and I was able to get the R9 to communicate with my HC3SX.

My Jetibox should be here Thursday or Friday so I can "fix" my second R9.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow - thanks that is great advice.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far that brings the accessory list up to...

Jeti Transmitter Switch Tool $11
Jeti Transmitter Switch Plugs $5
JetiBox Monitor Programmer $39
R5L Receivers for my little helis $65 each

Given the 3.2lb weight of the DS-16, If you don't have one already, the No-neck transmitter supension harness works great! $22.95
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...highlight=neck

I'm not trying to slight the larger harnesses for use with trays, but this small harness is very light and takes up very little space in my current transmitter carry case. It's simple clean and small.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Switch plugs... Plan on removing some switches? FYI my DC-16 came with 4 switch plugs.

I swapped a couple switches around on my DC16 last night using the switch tool, piece of cake. On power up the transmitter shows a screen that says "switch configuration changed" and shows a graphic of the TX and the switches that were changed are flashing. Neat. A quick look in the monitor menu showed all the switches were recognized and function correctly.

As far as a harness, I'm using the Jeti 4-point harness. Very well made, lots of adjustment, extremely comfy, but has two hooks on the end for use with tray style transmitters. The "no neck" harness above is nice, priced less, and will work great with the DS-16.

So far I'm loving the setup & programming options on the DC16 now that I have actual receivers. The only weakness I've found so far is that Jeti didn't provide a wired connector on the back of the TX so it could totally replace a Jetibox. The Jetibox inside the TX works great as long as the function you are trying to perform can be done wirelessly. As mentioned above, don't change a receiver from "normal" to "clone"...
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do all the spring loaded switches work like this?

2 way = simply on - off ( default )
3 way = spring loaded to center on1 - off ( default) - on2
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Switch plugs... Plan on removing some switches? FYI my DC-16 came with 4 switch plugs.

So far I'm loving the setup & programming options on the DC16 now that I have actual receivers. The only weakness I've found so far is that Jeti didn't provide a wired connector on the back of the TX so it could totally replace a Jetibox. The Jetibox inside the TX works great as long as the function you are trying to perform can be done wirelessly. As mentioned above, don't change a receiver from "normal" to "clone"...
Once I figure out exactly how I want things configured for all my helis, I will remove any unused switches. It's nice to know that some plugs came with your transmitter. They are not listed as included. I'm sure that 4 plugs would take care of me.

I'm debating whether I will try to learn from your experience and get away without the JetiBox or not. I hate having lots of unused stuff hanging around.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DC16 and helicommand

A good sticky for the jeti page would be a set up using helicommand with bailout, seems like a lot of these FBL being used.
drew3627 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew3627 View Post
A good sticky for the jeti page would be a set up using helicommand with bailout, seems like a lot of these FBL being used.
I would add Skookum to that list.

I should be receiving my SK-GPS shortly and I'm looking forward to seeing how the hard deck feature works
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have any of the spring loaded 3 position switches so I can't comment on those.

I have 2 spring loaded 2 position switches, one on each upper corner of the TX, that I'm going to use for HC3SX bailout. They're extremely quick and easy to grab without looking and when you let go of them they spring back to their original position which would turn off the bailout.

I originally installed a pushbutton in the right stick for bailout but after some playing around with the TX I realized I could get to and pull the long 2 position springloaded switches faster that I could roll my finger up onto the top of the stick and press the button.

I am leaving the 3 position switch on top the left stick for flight mode changes.

Throttle hold off / autorotation bailout / throttle hold on will be located on another 3 position switch-- haven't decided which yet.

On my turbine I'm hoping to map the 3 position switch on the lower left of the display to throttle trim low / trim mid / trim high for the turbine start and shutdown sequence, this way I won't have to constantly "beep" my way through the digital throttle trims for startup & shutdown.

I'm sure the TX will let me do it (the programming is very open)-- I just need to figure out how to do it.
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What types of switches are the 8 switches that come on the Transmitter ?

(Edit) I just realized that the DC-16 has 10 switches and hte DS-16 has 8.

I believe that I would initially like the following and while I'll eventually plug what I'm not using, I expect that I will see what uses I can come up with for them before removing them.

long 2 way (Throttle hold )
long 2 way (SK-720 bank1, bank2 )
long 3 way (SK-GPS fly home, off, hard deck )

short 2 way spring loaded ( trigger telemetry readout )
short 3 way ( flight mode )

However I'm really going to have to play with it in my hands before I will know what I want, and I'm still not sure how I want to use the accelerometer triggers.

I'm probably going to be refining how I use this transmitter for months.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure what the DS-16 will come with in terms of switches.

IIRC my DC 16 came with 4 3 position shorts, 2 2 position shorts, 1 spring loaded 2 position long, 2 3 position longs, and 1 2 position long.

I don't think I'm going to have any of my telemetry on switches, I'm just going to have a talking timer (every 30 seconds or 1 minute) and a telemetry alarm for mah consumed so I know when to land. That's about all I'm really interested in.
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not sure what the DS-16 will come with in terms of switches.

IIRC my DC 16 came with 4 3 position shorts, 2 2 position shorts, 1 spring loaded 2 position long, 2 3 position longs, and 1 2 position long.

I don't think I'm going to have any of my telemetry on switches, I'm just going to have a talking timer (every 30 seconds or 1 minute) and a telemetry alarm for mah consumed so I know when to land. That's about all I'm really interested in.
Thanks! It sounds like they have a good variety in there. Hopefully I'll have everything I need. If not, it will be easy enough to get exactly what I want.

I have a lot of interest in a number of telemetry points including one that I won't have for a little while.

I'm starting to get really excited to get my hands on my DS-16!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My R9 receivers arrived last night. After binding the first one to the TX I went into the Jetibox emulator on my DC-16 to configure it to PPM out to connect to my HC3SX units.

While looking for the PPM out option I found a option that said "receiver mode" and it was set to "normal." So I pushed the left arrow key thinking the other option would be "PPM" and the receiver immediately lost link with the TX. I was not able to rebind or connect to the receiver in any way.

Thinking I killed the receiver, I called Esprit this morning. Turns out that I switched the receiver from "normal" to "clone" mode (so you can use multiple receivers in one model.) Unfortunately, to set the receiver back to normal mode requires a direct plug-in connection to a Jetibox or Profibox-- which the DC/DS 16 can't do as the transmitters can only do the Jetibox functions over a wireless connection. Esprit said they'd switch the receiver back for me if I shipped it back but realizing I could easily make the same mistake again I bought a Jetibox for $39 so I can do it myself.

Thus, my advice is spend the extra $39 and get yourself a Jetibox "just in case."

Also, the option I was looking for (which I found on my second receiver) was "output mode"-- If you switch it from "servo" to "PPM" then the PPM out works perfectly and I was able to get the R9 to communicate with my HC3SX.

My Jetibox should be here Thursday or Friday so I can "fix" my second R9.
I've got a JetiBox and a JetiBox Profi... But still haven't seen a link explaining the update procedure for my R7.

Any info on that?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope, because I had my receivers shipped from Esprit with the PPM firmware already installed and ready to go.

I'm not sure Jeti has posted the latest PPM-out enabled firmware to their website quite yet, but it should be the same procedure needed to update firmware on any of their receivers; download the software, download the latest firmware, plug in the USB adapter, and update the firmware.

Here's a step by step...

http://www.electricwingman.com/guide...e-upgrade.aspx

I haven't found a reference to being able to update receiver firmware via Jetibox or Profibox-- you'd need to transfer the new receiver firmware from your PC to the Jeti/Profibox somehow and then from there to the receiver. Direct PC to receiver via USB makes the most sense, although you might be able to connect the USB to the Jeti/Profi box which is in turn connected to the receiver and the Jeti/Profibox serves as the USB interface to the receiver.
Jeti DC-16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in