Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Freq Differences?

So whats the reason you need a lower control frequency than a video frequency when flying FPV? Right now I am using Spectrum DX8 and 1.3ghz video and its working out to about 300 yards ? I am very new at this trying to figure all of it out??
CAMOMAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It all has to do with interference, and what should fail first video or control. If you outfly your control but still have good video, which should be true in your case, what does it do for you? You also need to understand how frequency harmonics can interfere with each other etc. If you are running 1.3 GHz in Texas (USA) you are required to have a ham radio license. I know many doing FPV do not have license but honestly the basic stuff you learn to go with the license helps answer questions like yours. With all the negative things going on surrounding FPV flying being completely legal right now is not a bad thing either.

Come down to Houston sometime and fly with us

On the iPad again,
JCL
AMA# 954079. KG5BBF
Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Working on the license now!!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is not hard, really. Good Luck!

AMA 954079 KG5BBF
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well Im ready to take it but no one offers a test around my city!!!! Rats!!!!!! wish you could take it online!!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I looked at Jasper, Lufkin, Beaumont, Woodville, Tyler and more. Nothing showing except lots in Houston. I took at the Masonic Lodge on Watonga as I had been flying over them and didn't have a clue they were giving tests there! A bunch of local FPVers go flying at the park across the street from them once in a while. Not a long trip and license good for 10 years!!

On the iPad again,
JCL
AMA# 954079. KG5BBF
Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree completely that the best plan is to follow the rules, but it doesn't seem to always be really clear what the rules are.

On this link, the ad for a 5.8 GHZ Fat Shark RTF package clearly says a license is required:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1129

But Horizon Hobby is selling a 5.8 GHZ RTF package and they say that no license is required.

I can see on the AMA site where 2.4 GHZ Spread Spectrum is OK, but don't see anything about 5.8 - can you clarify this?
gwd1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOMAN View Post
So whats the reason you need a lower control frequency than a video frequency when flying FPV? Right now I am using Spectrum DX8 and 1.3ghz video and its working out to about 300 yards ? I am very new at this trying to figure all of it out??
Im gonna say things are to close and space as much as possible. Also 1.3 and 2.4 have harmoics as someone else has stated. What size video tx? And filters on your video rx? What antennas are you using?

I fly an f450 with...
Gopro3+
Naza with gps(saw filter mod for use with 1.3video)
1.3 fpv gear
433 dragonlink

Upgraded antenna on my video tx but have standard antennas everywhere else. Ive gone to 1.5miles before getting alittle nervous and turning back.

See if there any mounting you can improve and/or any filters you can use to help your situation. IMO if you think your going to stick with 2.4 as your control, id plan on moving to 5.8 for video.

Good luck...I know I beat my head for awhile before it all "worked"
Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwd1234 View Post
I agree completely that the best plan is to follow the rules, but it doesn't seem to always be really clear what the rules are.

On this link, the ad for a 5.8 GHZ Fat Shark RTF package clearly says a license is required:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1129

But Horizon Hobby is selling a 5.8 GHZ RTF package and they say that no license is required.

I can see on the AMA site where 2.4 GHZ Spread Spectrum is OK, but don't see anything about 5.8 - can you clarify this?
There are 3 ISM frequency bands:

902 to 928 MHz
2.400 to 2.4835 GHz
5.725 to 5.875 GHz

In the past only spread spectrum (frequency hopping) point to point use was allowed in these bands and that included the radios most folks use for typical RC. Power limited to 1 watt max. I see Horizon selling a Fat Shark "FCC Certified" video system and saying no license required. I did some searching and can see a lot of proposed changes in 5.8 band but I cannot see how video can be used without license as it cannot be sent spread spectrum typically. Maybe somebody else has an answer. My understanding is a license typically required but also know if one can get FCC certification it makes a difference as long as no change of any type is made including power, antenna, anything connected to the transmitter. I am using non-FCC certified video transmitters and UHF for control so I need a license in any case. Even Horizon is selling some non-FCC certified stuff.

On the iPad again,
JCL
AMA# 954079. KG5BBF
Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a quick note. You can send video on 5.8 very low power and very short range wo a license. That is what unlicensed version doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in