Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Thats why I stay away from Align. They put a Rube-Goldberg torque-tube assembly in because they could not figure out proper belt design. MSH stuff is not top notch but it's designed better than Align and it holds up better in a crash. The T-Rex 500 is a flying piece of tinfoil. The gears, bearings, and shafts are destroyed on the slightest bump.

I have all belted helis and I have been flying belted helis for a long time. I have never had a static problem when the tail boom is grounded, which I learned to do with my 1st 450. If you spray the belt with silicone it runs smoother and has even less potential for static, so much so that you can leave the ground wire off if you silicone the belt regularly.
Disagree with you. My 450Pro flies well with TT, then I tried 450 Sport with belt but I cant stand with it. Back to 450Pro in 1 week.
My 500EFL flies good with TT too. I love Protos 500 since the first time I see it in PhoenixRC three years ago and I am not an Align fanboy but when I had my 500EFL, I have to say "good job, Align"

Last edited by ddhuans; 03-20-2013 at 09:43 AM..
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, big fan of protos here. Excellent setup, easy access. Great structure.
jdExtraZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

We've had these debates many times over.

A well designed belt system works well and a well designed TT system works well.

There are good and bad implementations of both.

There are people living in EXTREMELY low humidity areas that have serious static issues with just about everything with a belt out there.

Then there are people living in very humid places that have very few issues with static, that would include me.

YMMV.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found a creative way to solve mine .I used the metal duct tape on my reciever and esc as a shield .Its pretty funny that anything above the shield i get static discharge on my greenly non conductive voltage detector , and below i get nothing .
jombo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
I found a creative way to solve mine .I used the metal duct tape on my reciever and esc as a shield .Its pretty funny that anything above the shield i get static discharge on my greenly non conductive voltage detector , and below i get nothing .
Hey thanks for the info. Can you be more descriptive? I'd like to know what model receiver you are using, wheter you grounded your tailboom, and if you use silicone on your belt.

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhuans View Post
Disagree with you. My 450Pro flies well with TT, then I tried 450 Sport with belt but I cant stand with it. Back to 450Pro in 1 week.
My 500EFL flies good with TT too. I love Protos 500 since the first time I see it in PhoenixRC three years ago and I am not an Align fanboy but when I had my 500EFL, I have to say "good job, Align"
And the reason the Align belt does not work well is that it is a terrible design, the TT is not much better but it is better.

All align helis have the same stupid tail drive design, I dont understand why they have not fixed it.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Hey thanks for the info. Can you be more descriptive? I'd like to know what model receiver you are using, wheter you grounded your tailboom, and if you use silicone on your belt.
I just use silicone for the belt ( the automotive one) , and just the aluminum tape . I use Futaba 7 channel receiver , I have everything mounted under the main gear. No issues so far .
jombo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
And the reason the Align belt does not work well is that it is a terrible design, the TT is not much better but it is better.

All align helis have the same stupid tail drive design, I dont understand why they have not fixed it.
Never flown an Align but what's silly about it's design? Honest question. Only TT I know is that of my 130Xlol..

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post

Oh you know the answer to that one desertstalker! Upgrades=Align$$$

Just look at their forum thread counts...Huge! The Protos threads tend to get a bit boring because everyone is out flying a quality machine and not discussing the latest upgrade that points out the next fault in their system.

I can close a few times to buying into Align because it was so heavily supported at the local fields, but now I see why. They need LOTS of Suppport!

One of our local hobby shops is a full blown Horizon Hobby Shop, but refuses to sell or carry any Align product because the investment of time it would take along with lost $$$ in upgrades and frequency of those upgrades. They already have a hard enough time keeping up with Blade(grin)...
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
Never flown an Align but what's silly about it's design? Honest question. Only TT I know is that of my 130Xlol..
Here is what is wrong with their belt design. Look at the belt tail on a T-Rex 450. Then look at the belt drive on the tail part off the Mini-Protos or Warp360. I don't have pictures but here is a short description. The belt is skinny with small teeth going around small cogs. At least the belt in the T-Rex 500 is marginally better than the 450 but it is far from "robustness" of the tail belt drive for a Protos 500 or Compass Atom. They are just not even in the same league.

Then they decided TT was the way to go. And it is a wonderful design if you are the manufacturer or seller of TT drive parts . As an end user they have FAR more parts that can and do fail. They are harder to repair because it takes time to get all those shafts, gears and bearings replaced. They also need repairing more often thanks to the fragility. Ever tried to remove or install a TT bearing on your umbrella gear without destroying the bearing? Its possible but it is a pain in the butt and involves a small hammer. On top of this the parts are so fragile. Bump a tail in tall grass or a little dirt and lose your gears. Any crash you lose most of your fragile Align TT drive system. Bend a tail shaft in your T-Rex? You gotta buy the gears too even if they are OK.

But hey you can get the parts anywhere.

RIP Compass
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im sorry but im late to the party ... WHY IN THE HELL are we talking about Align POS for??? THE GODS DO NOT APPROVE OF ALIGN TALK!! LOL
solex227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by solex227 View Post
Im sorry but im late to the party ... WHY IN THE HELL are we talking about Align POS for??? THE GODS DO NOT APPROVE OF ALIGN TALK!! LOL

The gods don't approve of positive talk about Align. My precious Protos will be struck by bolt of lightning for the one positive Align point in my post. No point in editing now as they are all seeing and all knowing.

RIP Compass
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVeillon View Post
One of our local hobby shops is a full blown Horizon Hobby Shop, but refuses to sell or carry any Align product because the investment of time it would take along with lost $$$ in upgrades and frequency of those upgrades. They already have a hard enough time keeping up with Blade(grin)...
My LHS was carrying Align and now are dropping them. They have re-structured the purchasing and for a smaller shop they cannot afford to purchase the $ amount they want.

I fly Protos, Align and Blade. I love the design of the Protos from the day I saw one hanging at the LHS for sale. Unfortunately I crashed it in a low hover, as a result of static I believe. Hovering fine and then boom down to earth. I have no static fighting measures in place as of now. I will be working on the above listed grounds for it. I would like to see this duct tape shield in a picture for sure!
2004sccobra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have never had any static issues on my P500 or Mini P ..
The_Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely not trying to get into an argument here, but I have a Gaui x3 and x5, (both superbly designed helis) as well as a small pile of Align birds. All are torque tube, and all work great. I'm here because I just bought a used Protos 500, and I'm REALLY excited about the design, but I have very real concerns about losing the heli to a static hit - not an unfounded fear. I'm going to be soldering all kinds of cockamamie bonding wires all over the heli so it doesn't drop out of the sky randomly. Reminds me of my 1st gen Spektrum DSMX transmitter locking up my DSM2 receivers - helis would just randomly drop out of the sky. Not OK. I bought a Protos, and I know I'm going to love it, but you have to admit that never having to worry about your 3-4 lb flying Van De Graaff falling out of the sky out of control is a major bonus. I know most of you have never had it happen, but I like flying in Minnesota in the winter where the humidity is really low. We'll see..
Carpetbombing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no need to go all crazy with it. The modern boom block is conductive, just sand down the boom end before putting it in the boom block and then just some copper tape or wire from the tail shaft bearing to a clean metal spot on the back of the boom inside the tail case. done. If you have plastic frame then you need to go to a motor screw but very simple. Little silicon spray here and there if you want.

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bowersox View Post
no need to go all crazy with it. The modern boom block is conductive, just sand down the boom end before putting it in the boom block and then just some copper tape or wire from the tail shaft bearing to a clean metal spot on the back of the boom inside the tail case. done. If you have plastic frame then you need to go to a motor screw but very simple. Little silicon spray here and there if you want.
Agreed!

I have a carbon framed Protos with the non-conductive boom block. All I did was connect a wire from a frame bolt to a bare spot under the tail servo mount. I've had zero static hits without even siliconing the tail belt. The humidity can definitely drop pretty low here during the winter in east TN. Matt
byHISgrace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1, simple static fix for me. Sanded a spot on the boom where the clap attaches, ran a copper wire camped to the boom to the motor mount screw, zero stack issues.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have done nothing but fly the crap out of it .. !
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakboy69 View Post
I have done nothing but fly the crap out of it .. !
Show off! LOL!!!!
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in