Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned User

Looks good so far. Of course we are going to want to see video of some rolling take offs and landings.

Will you be able to get to the pulley bearings? I'm always suspicious of mine and lube them almost as often as the motor bearings.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: A-109 Scale Protos 500 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
Looks good so far. Of course we are going to want to see video of some rolling take offs and landings.

Will you be able to get to the pulley bearings? I'm always suspicious of mine and lube them almost as often as the motor bearings.
You know, I never have oiled those bearings and I've never had a problem.

I plan on taking the bird out of the fuse every 50 flights for a full lube-- just did not want to hassle with the motor every 10...

I think the rolling liftoffs are cool too.

I'll also eventually install lights along with the 4-blade head-- probably do that next season.

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, the project got delayed a bit-- wanted to make some progress over Thanksgiving break, but I crashed my son's Miss Geico catamaran and needed to build up a new one and blueprint the sponsons...

Anyway, got the new ceramic bearings in the motor. After pulling the motor apart I heated the stator side with the bearings in the oven at 225degrees for 10 minutes (got that tip from a recent Boca Bearing newsletter), and they came out with a light tap. New ones installed no problem.

3rd picture shows the 2nd idler pulley installed.

Chief
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131212_201151_353.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	471550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131212_201554_796.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	471551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131212_204347_373.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	471552  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why did you install that second idler pulley near the motor? I have a feeling that might subject the belt to too much strain around the pinion and lead to premature wear and failure...
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suspect I will need to shorten the tail boom a tad to fit the fuse, so this is to take up the slack-- figured I'd install it now and if I don't need it I can pull it out.

Chief

Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost done building the stretch kit and tried a test fit in the fuse. I shimmed up the bird about 1". Looks like I won't need to trim the boom-- it is about 1" too long, but the fuse has a cone on the tail that I can trim to accommodate the tail rotor.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387684376143.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	473508   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387684394071.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	473509   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387684415251.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	473510  
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

With that fuse is it possible to use stock boom with 1 idler?
I'm running stretch w/2 pullies in an EC135 fuse. I forget stock length since I only have stretch
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the stretch boom I did remove the 2nd idler-- when I did the test fit I had the boom in the almost fully extended position. I'll put the stock boom on and see how short it is. I can modify the fuse tail cone if the boom is too long, but not sure what I can do if it is too short.

Chief
Old 12-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, just did a test fit with the stock boom--- way to short...
Chief
Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guess you need to open tail little more.You can Also find lower kv motor and use larger pinion to shorten boom little more. Not sure of any pelts that would work
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the stretch bird together and did a test power-up. All looks well. Next stop is to modify the landing gear-- I am replacing the servo driven retracts that came with the fuse with electric retracts-- they are stronger, action is slower, and they don't need servos to drive them (just plug into Gear channel). But they are larger than the stock units and the fuse will need some mods to accept them.

Chief

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388114356882.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	474379
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Progress is slow but steady. Did 2 test hovers on the stretch bird. Decided to remove the 2nd idler pulley and extend the tail cone on the fuse. Now on to the landing gear mod...

Chief
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned User

kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Progress is slow but steady. Did 2 test hovers on the stretch bird. Decided to remove the 2nd idler pulley and extend the tail cone on the fuse. Now on to the landing gear mod...

Chief
Why did you choose to remove? Were you having any problems?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem -- the tail cone on the fuse can easily be extended to accommodate the length and I think less wrapping around the pinion will extend the belt life a bit.
Jq

Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BHChieftain

Great job so far cant wait to hear how the maiden goes and see the 4 blade head installed.

Solex227
MCPX V2
solex227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did 4 test flights at the field on the frame (no fuse).

First 2 flights all went well, tail was smooth, but all I was doing was hovering.

3rd flight I did some collective pumps and BAM, lost the tail, and she spun for a bit-- man, it is hard to keep orientation when the bird spins AND you don't have the canopy on! It was close, but I was able to keep her level when she spun, the tail regained hold, I found the orientation, and brought her down safely. Glad I have been practicing piro hovering lately!

I had the tail gain on my bird set for the stock protos, and this one is running way lower headspeed (14T pinion). On my futaba radio, my starting gain was 60%. I cranked the gain all the way to 95%, and still did not get any tail jitters. But even at that gain level, as soon as I started turning the bird to the left, the tail would slide out. For some reason it holds well during right hand turns...

Any clues? I've got to get the tail reliable before doing anything else.

Prior to the flights, the tail was buttery smooth, I have not done a thorough check post flight, I'll do that later. But the tail holds perfectly when just hovering. Main blades and rotor head were fully balanced, I don't see any vibe issues.

Config is flybar, futaba BLS251, Quark HH gyro. This combo has been perfect on my stock protos.

Note, I am running 430mm blades on this stretch kit, headspeed was very low. My throttle was set to 85%. I suspect the headspeed is simply too low-- I am planning to try again at 100% throttle.

Any other things to look at?

Chief
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I´m running 14T on 65% TC for aerobatic flight, sometimes 55 when I want to it to be whisperqiet. Fut 9254 on tail and quark gyro. tail holds very well for my style of flying @65, have to be careful @55. I doubt it´s too low HS. I know you have the stretch kit on, but if anything that should improve your tail hold over stock.

Cannot help any further unfortunately as this is my first FB setup and the quark was literally set it and forget it
Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Did 4 test flights at the field on the frame (no fuse).

First 2 flights all went well, tail was smooth, but all I was doing was hovering.

3rd flight I did some collective pumps and BAM, lost the tail, and she spun for a bit-- man, it is hard to keep orientation when the bird spins AND you don't have the canopy on! It was close, but I was able to keep her level when she spun, the tail regained hold, I found the orientation, and brought her down safely. Glad I have been practicing piro hovering lately!

I had the tail gain on my bird set for the stock protos, and this one is running way lower headspeed (14T pinion). On my futaba radio, my starting gain was 60%. I cranked the gain all the way to 95%, and still did not get any tail jitters. But even at that gain level, as soon as I started turning the bird to the left, the tail would slide out. For some reason it holds well during right hand turns...

Any clues? I've got to get the tail reliable before doing anything else.

Prior to the flights, the tail was buttery smooth, I have not done a thorough check post flight, I'll do that later. But the tail holds perfectly when just hovering. Main blades and rotor head were fully balanced, I don't see any vibe issues.

Config is flybar, futaba BLS251, Quark HH gyro. This combo has been perfect on my stock protos.

Note, I am running 430mm blades on this stretch kit, headspeed was very low. My throttle was set to 85%. I suspect the headspeed is simply too low-- I am planning to try again at 100% throttle.

Any other things to look at?

Chief
I assume you installed the 18t tail pulley? My stretched protos with 470's held the tail fine down around and under 1600 rpm (4s 100% throttle 13t pinion).

If you can't get wag with 95% gain in tx then it would seem like your gyro channel isn't working. Idk what Tx you have but make sure it is enabled and on the right channel.

Also I have forgotten to plug the gyro signal wire into the Rx before.... luckily figured it out before I tried to actually fly.

You could also double check the tail endpoints.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I assume you installed the 18t tail pulley? My stretched protos with 470's held the tail fine down around and under 1600 rpm (4s 100% throttle 13t pinion).

If you can't get wag with 95% gain in tx then it would seem like your gyro channel isn't working. Idk what Tx you have but make sure it is enabled and on the right channel.

Also I have forgotten to plug the gyro signal wire into the Rx before.... luckily figured it out before I tried to actually fly.

You could also double check the tail endpoints.
Yes I used the alum. tail pulley that came in the kit. I used the exact same components and servos/gyro as my stock kit which has been flawless for about 200 flights. I am a bit flummoxed...

I even doublechecked that the belt was not twisted in the boom.

I'll reset the Quark and try again next weekend...

I was wondering if there is any chance that using the shorter main blades (430mm) could have anything to do with the low headspeed... I understand I can run low HS with the longer blades, but with the shorter ones??

Chief

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in