Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Collectve Swash mix changes centre pitch

Hi all,
just installed sk360 on my minititan.

Got setup just about right with 0 pitch midstick but had +-14deg.
So I adjusted the swash mix in the sk360 from 60 to 45 to get +10 at full stick.
But then when I reteurn to centre it was abou +5 and low stick was -5 (ish from memory).

Why has the colective swash mix moved the centre point? Should I adjust this some other way?
I want to get his sorted before I set the mix for ele and aileron which are both a bit small.
For info I have used the Gaui 400 flybarless head, and have set the tx to 100% travel and 60-60-60 in the swash mixes. Also set the tx trims and subtrims to 0. So have been doing all setup in the sk360.
This was all with SK360 in setup mode.

Also have no expo or DR set.
PS. Just love watching the swash level itself while I tilt the heli around..really cool !! or am I just sad ;-)

Last edited by MouldyRF; 12-02-2008 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: more info
MouldyRF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouldyRF View Post
PS. Just love watching the swash level itself while I tilt the heli around..really cool !! or am I just sad ;-)
Not sad
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well had no tips yet so managed to get pitch correct by lengthening the rods and now +-10deg. Cyclic is not quite 8deg bit will work that out later. Jut need some weather now to give it a go. Dont want to change servo travel yet as guess that will give me too much collective travel again.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you post a picture of your servo arms/links at mid stick? Sounds like you have some differential throw happening.

I'm running the stock 3D profile and I too had to decrease the collective on the swash mix to get down to an appropriate pitch range. I had no problems with losing the center or a balanced top/bottom range. Really sounds like a setup/geometry issue rather than something in the sk360.

hope this helps
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok Thanks.. Thats my suspission too as the arms are not absolutly level with quite a high trim value. So I'm going to nip out today and buy some new arms. When I built it originally I didnt realise you could get different alignment on each of the 4 90 deg arms so in my ignorance just cut random 3 spairs off!!! Now I know better.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hi all,
just installed sk360 on my minititan.

For info I have used the Gaui 400 flybarless head, and have set the tx to 100% travel and 60-60-60 in the swash mixes.
Hi MouldyRF, are you doing the swash mixing in the TX or in the sk360 ? ... just curious...
lakespinner2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the sk360. I left the tx with trims at 0 and set to 90deg?? (Its a dx6i so you just have choice of 120deg or 90deg). Was aiming to do as much as I could in the sk360 to save as much coinfusion as possible. In the dx6i I think 60% swash is the default.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

you want to be in single servo mode in the radio

you dont want to use 90deg swash mode in the radio.... so set that to 1 servo

and

the swash mix set at 120deg ... , set into the sk. swash settings ...

Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool269 View Post
you want to be in single servo mode in the radio

you dont want to use 90deg swash mode in the radio.... so set that to 1 servo

and

the swash mix set at 120deg ... , set into the sk. swash settings ...

Jason
Ok just found copy of the manual and 90 deg is 1-servo mode
Quote from manual is "One Servo: 90 degrees (standard mechanical mix)
Three Servo: CCPM 120 degrees"

in the SK I do have it set to 120deg.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok replaced a couple of the arms with new ones and lined them up with better mechanical centre.
Relevelled the swash with my home made swash leveler.. (m10 bolt with a 5mm hole through it and turn flat on the lathe)

Now setup is much better.
+/1 10deg colective and about 7.5deg cyclic
Thanks all

Typical...all ready to go and its snowing today!! Can't wait to try it

Last edited by MouldyRF; 12-04-2008 at 03:15 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey, I just set mine up too, I zeroed the arms at mid stick, but adjusted the servo travel on the sk360to give me a max of +10 and min of -5 in regular mode (-10 in stunt). I didn't touch the mix. I have not flown my heli yet as it is dark here, but everything seems to be set correctly. 1 servo 90 on the tx and 120 mix on the sk360.
CF_Machete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well got to fly it this lunch time and it flew prety well out of the box with the suggested defaults....To be honest I now can't remember if I used the default..or 3d startup settings..(most likely the default setup).
I also set the recommended 30/50 hiller/bell on the dials.

It went stright into hover really nice and almost hands off on the cyclic..couple of clicks of trim and I could take my thumb off

Did a few of the initial tests..push forward and centre and back and seemed ok..
Wind was a little gusty and that ade it wobble so perhaps a bit too much Hiller? Is that right?

Straight flight etc seems very nice and solid so VERY pleased so far.
My first landing had a bit of a lean to the right but the land was quite rough but two batteries and still in one piece.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well got to fly it this lunch time and it flew prety well out of the box with the suggested defaults....To be honest I now can't remember if I used the default..or 3d startup settings..(most likely the default setup).
I also set the recommended 30/50 hiller/bell on the dials.

It went stright into hover really nice and almost hands off on the cyclic..couple of clicks of trim and I could take my thumb off

Did a few of the initial tests..push forward and centre and back and seemed ok..
Wind was a little gusty and that ade it wobble so perhaps a bit too much Hiller? Is that right?

Straight flight etc seems very nice and solid so VERY pleased so far.
My first landing had a bit of a lean to the right but the land was quite rough but two batteries and still in one piece.
Just a little to much hillier,

when its correct the heli will track spot on and hold in wind , when you go high on the hillier gain it will track towards the wind..in its own axis , ie either sideways towards the wind,(aile hillier gain to high) or forwad into the wind,(elev hillier gain to high ) or diagonal into the wind ..(both hillier gains to high )

,and as you reduce the gain you will find a point where the head will stay level , but it will drift away WITH the wind..

as with a normal gyro the in flight settings need to be loaded to give you what it will do under pressure...

i found i dropped the hillier gains on elev and aile until it no longer held square in stationary flips .

then upped them a few clicks until it held perfect ..t6hrough out the flip,
then go out and belt it through some big loops , and that will tell you if its really correct,,,

so in a static hover , you can set it up very very tight, but the more energetic the flight the less you want the SK to inter fear with your inputs ..

its a game , of cat and mouse , only airtime will help to get it where you want it,.
the hardest thing IMOO< is to figure out what the SK does, once you establish that , its not hard to tune it to a sharp point.

Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not so good today..
reduced Hiller a bit and did drift round some more but felt a bit more erratic generally.
But then I had also changed a few other settings to go somewhere between default and basic3d file.
Second flight trying to land between the puddles and it suddenly flipped on its side. It was probably me but not sure.

Any way now need two new control links, one set of servo gears, main shaft and blades
(Thankfully I had the woodies on while I played) and main gear.
Next time I'll only change one thing at a time..should know better by now!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in