Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sk540 tail setup - confused about center

Hi all,

I'm setting up the tail servo. Steps are as follows.

1) Power on, which connects the radio.

2) Connect the USB to the computer

At this point, my tail linkages are mechanically centered. It gets weird during the wizard. See, right now all I've done is connected the sk540 to the computer, so I assume that we're in some kind of direct mode where the gyro is not involved at all.

I start the wizard. When it comes time to set the CENTER the tail servo jumps. I had just mechanically set it to center, but the sk540 software just moved it all out of whack.

So I use the rudder control and center the tail as it tells me.

Moving through the wizard it says to now mechanically adjust the linkages. I already got the linkages centered before I started the wizard.

So if I'm making any sense, I should not try to set the tail mechanically at all until I'm in that very specific step in the wizard?

srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, been there done that. Nothing you do before entering the wiz with Skookum counts. As the setup info is teaching the Skookum where center actually is, but according to its own setup way of inputting the info into the system.

Yeah, the servo jumps when entering the tail setup. Bring the servo arm to a perfect 90. Then adjust the linkage so the tail itself has zero pitch, but only when prompted. Doing it before hand doesn't count. Now nail the end points and you are done. Perfect tail if the figures are within specs.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, looks like I got it.

So I assume it is normal for the tail servo to shift to the end when you first power on the sk540? Is this another one of those compensation for spool up things, just like the swash initalizes offset from where I set it up in the wizard...?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

ha? when you power the unit it goes all the way till the end?
are you using traditional Rx? did you set your fail safe? both for your Rx and SK?
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
omerco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah after the sk540 jumps twice, the tail servo slowly gives, I believe right rudder, and settles down toward the end of the throw.

I'm using a traditional Rx. I'm not sure if I set the fail safe. I'll check, but the unit comes up normally and everything is connected solid.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was having weird tail issues as well when first doing mine. Make sure you go into the advanced mode and 0 out your collective mix. I would get mine perfect when plugged into the computer but once I unplugged it, everything would go crazy. For some reason the mixes were really high and when unplugging from the comp, it would add full rudder. Not sure if yours has that but might be worth checking.
XL V2, Soxos 7.1L - Previous: Kraken 580, Nimbus, Protos 380, Kraken 700, Diabolo 700, Oxy 5/2, Logo 600 / 550SX, Protos 700, Synergy 516, Velos 880, Gaui X7 / X5, Goblin 380, Blade 120SR/180SR/ mcpx BL/300X/450XL, Align 700X/150/Leap 3D
gtruk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruk View Post
I was having weird tail issues as well when first doing mine. Make sure you go into the advanced mode and 0 out your collective mix. I would get mine perfect when plugged into the computer but once I unplugged it, everything would go crazy. For some reason the mixes were really high and when unplugging from the comp, it would add full rudder. Not sure if yours has that but might be worth checking.
This is one of those things that commonly confuses people when dealing with the tail.

The unit adds tail pre comp depending on where your collective is positioned. This isn't the case when in setup mode, so you may be perfectly centered while setting up, but the tail may jump when you unplug and let the heli go back to normal. This tricks many into thinking something is wrong when really it isn't.

In that case, the tail will only be zero pitch when your collective is centered and at zero pitch, so always make sure to center the collective when observing the setup afterward.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So xray you saying start up the heli normal not connected to the computer and then go mid collective and see if the tail moves to the center?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick update, tried this at lunch. It looks like my earlier problem is gone. I think it is because I did the servo setup with the wizard exactly like it tells you.

Starting up with low stick, sk540 inits and the tail servo moves slightly off center, a few degrees this time, rather than the huge displacement I had before. When I moved the collective to the middle the tail servo horn went to 90 like I set it up.

So, I think this is what xray was describing. I think I'm good here.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

make sure you have tail deadband on 2 (main screen) - that could cause that.

also if you didn't set failsafe in you Rx it might do the same. do that after you finish the whole setup both for Rx and SK (top menu somewhere)
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

What should be the failsafes in the SK software? Mid stick? or slightly negative pitch so it doesn't go flying off?

Ok, checked deadband, tail is set =2, the rest =0.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhadden View Post
What should be the failsafes in the SK software? Mid stick? or slightly negative pitch so it doesn't go flying off?.
I set for mid stick. Slightly negative will bring your heli down a lot quicker than you think with no HS. Not to mention the difference if you're inverted..........

Btw-You can set Failsafe/loss of signal to Self level on the SK720BE. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has unfortunately tested? Sorry for the ot srhadden.
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What should be the failsafes in the SK software? Mid stick? or slightly negative pitch so it doesn't go flying off?

Ok, checked deadband, tail is set =2, the rest =0.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Fail safe - all center, blades 0 pitch.

Deadband- 2 for tail, 0.5 for the rest. Also verify in the gui you don't have "noise" greater then these values. I had to increase to 0.7...
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
I set for mid stick. Slightly negative will bring your heli down a lot quicker than you think with no HS. Not to mention the difference if you're inverted..........

Btw-You can set Failsafe/loss of signal to Self level on the SK720BE. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has unfortunately tested? Sorry for the ot srhadden.
I did...the damage was minimal: boom and main blades
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
I did...the damage was minimal: boom and main blades
Thanks. Good to hear.
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That requires some luck - it really depends when it happens
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So xray you saying start up the heli normal not connected to the computer and then go mid collective and see if the tail moves to the center?
Exactly....it appears from reading that you have resolved this issue now, so great!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah, appears to be running as expected. Thanks, Xray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in