Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Slow Me Down!

Well, Popped the mini off the ground for the first time today..

Mr Ambitious with 6S 16T pinion 3500 max head spped, stock expo in the Vbar..

Well, It went ok, it drifted a bit off target though and I had to set it down on less than ideal turf. Tail blades kicked up a small rock into the main blades and threw the belt. No big deal but its obvious to me that at even 80% throttle, its way to fast for me right now and I want to slow it down.

So, for starters, I was going to put the 15T pinion on, Drop it to 2500 max and set Normal Mode to 70% Thats a radical drop but I can always go UP in speed later. I have limited space in the winter since the local club field is closed.

Also going to remove the expo in the VBAR and dial in a pantload into the TX.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, can anyone recomend some cheap blades for just tooting around? I have 5 sets of SABS, one set now has a nice nick in it on the leading edge :-(
CrashAddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yah, 15t pinion is the way to go.

For beater blades, I use the $7 325mm fiberglass blades from helidirect or if you want to go carbon fiber, then the 325mm align 3G for $18.

Just use the stock plastic blades for the tail. The carbon tail blades will break on the slightest impact. Use a hobby knife to clean up the plastic tails if they hit. Either way, think about getting an elongated tail fin to protect the blades from impact.

Have fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashAddict View Post
...Also going to remove the expo in the VBAR and dial in a pantload into the TX.

Any thoughts on this?
That's what I do, don't forget the tail. I also run a 15T but if you're waiting for one just fly the 16T, the YGE (if you run one) can cope with quite remarkably low throttles in the interim. You're probably ok with even 55%-60%, though I've never tried anything under 60% I'll say.

spykez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashAddict View Post
So, for starters, I was going to put the 15T pinion on, Drop it to 2500 max and set Normal Mode to 70% Thats a radical drop but I can always go UP in speed later. I have limited space in the winter since the local club field is closed.
Too low IMO, My stretch runs 2700 normally, and that is quite tame. I would set the VBar gov to 3000-3200 max, you should be able to govern from 2500 up with that setup.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Ok..

Well, I will set it low.. and then raise it as needed. Dropped a damn washer in the motor and now I have to order C Clips. No flying for me :-(

Well, Gives me time to clean up the shop. Bit of a mess.. I ordered up a couple of those Lynx fins too. I think the 3500 would have been fine with a little expo. In the small space it was just too twitchy to risk hitting a wall and decided to set it down. Longer tail fin may have saved it.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps drop the agility, that's another option too, that just will reduce the roll/pitch rates on the cyclic. I don't know but I'm finding an agility of 90 ok with 25-30% expo on the radio pretty nice.

That said I'm not doing anything bold - rainbows at most - and I'm still tweaking. Still want to ensure my figures 8's etc are perfect inverted first in all directions and I can maintain a nice inverted piro indefinitely before I go crazy. Last time I tried to do something above my skill level I went right in and caused $100 damage.

Be grateful if anyone can suggest anything, settings or otherwise to help advance my crappy flying lol... Back to the sim for a bit before bed.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
That's what I do, don't forget the tail. I also run a 15T but if you're waiting for one just fly the 16T, the YGE (if you run one) can cope with quite remarkably low throttles in the interim. You're probably ok with even 55%-60%, though I've never tried anything under 60% I'll say.
I've been running my 3s mini p with 16t at 60% TC in the YGE for several weeks now, with no problems what's so ever.

Mini p is quite as an owl with this TC, on a slightly windy day I can't hear a single thing
ahunter852 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, mine sounded like a Jet engine. Seriously, the driveway was a bit wet and it was blowing it dry. When it lifted off it was out of control. I put it in a hover but it went forward a bit. and by the time I brought it down it was off the pavement into the gravel. A few more seconds and it would have been in the trees lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

At that high rpm you might be getting some high vibrations.
A vbar mini p should stay put in a hover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The log seems ok as far as vibs go. I rigged it for 4S today and took it down to about 1450 RPM. I just walked it around the driveway for a bit and then popped it up in a hover. It does stay put sort of, it wants to move forward .. the CG is off a tich. I just dont have enough room for it to get a feel for it. Its ready for a trip to the field.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know I said the YGE handles great at 60% which it does, but I just realized now with the 16t and TC at 60% the tail will completely blow out on pitch pumps. The limit seems to be 65% where the tail will still hold solid.

So I've gone back up to 65% because of this( don't think mini p have a speed up pulley)
ahunter852 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont think Im up for pitch pumps lol. Controlled hover would be good. Thanks for the info. I am running 15T now on 4S. I will go back to 6S, I don;t like 4S at all.. too blechy, hard to describe but it doesn't run as nice and the batteries I have for 4S are too heavy.

Does anyone know if these fit?

http://helidirect.com/brg5003-outrag...des-p-7259.hdx
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

1450 ... bit too slow mate, imho... That said never tried. I reckon if stretched 2800-3200 is reasonable. Sure you can go higher but I don't think I need to.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried 2600 yesty on my stock mini p, that's about as low as I would go, nice and smooth and quiet with easy 5:30 flight time on 1300mah packs.
It was a change from my usual 3500.
This was achieved by lowering throttle curve to 65% on 16T 6S setup.
Running YGE 60 in gov store mode.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter852 View Post
I know I said the YGE handles great at 60% which it does, but I just realized now with the 16t and TC at 60% the tail will completely blow out on pitch pumps. The limit seems to be 65% where the tail will still hold solid.

So I've gone back up to 65% because of this( don't think mini p have a speed up pulley)
I had the same issue, its not a HS thing, but a governor one (gov performance is terrible down low for some reason). Turned off the Gov and it was much better (using V curve).
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
I had the same issue, its not a HS thing, but a governor one (gov performance is terrible down low for some reason). Turned off the Gov and it was much better (using V curve).

Not to stir up any worms... But I'm running a non stretched mini msh protos on 6S with 16T / 1300KV and YGE. 3000 HS at 58% throttle curve

Tail servo is a Align 520. I have yet to loose the tail. Done backwards inverted, backwards loops. Rainbows and ticktocks.

But since I run the vbar I was going to use the vbar gov so I can knock the HS down a little more.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Not to stir up any worms... But I'm running a non stretched mini msh protos on 6S with 16T / 1300KV and YGE. 3000 HS at 58% throttle curve
Didnt try 58% but 60 worked very well and 55 didnt (gov mode, not store) so i just left it on 60.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in