Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to approach getting a pre-owned, unfinished 500L in the air

Hi,

I am new to larger CP helicopters. Been flying Nano QX quad, then Nano CPS, and have a K110 on its way to me. I'm looking ahead to being able to get to a larger heli, and picked up a new 500L here on HF for $350. It wasn't fully put together, but has all parts and electronics, with the exception of some ball links. It is being shipped now, and will be here next week. I'll inventory then and see what's really missing.

I would appreciate any advice on how to approach getting it in the air. I have a lot of experience with building RC planes from kits, but not helicopters, and not using loctite as such a big part of the process. What I'm concerned about is whether it was previously built using loctite properly. Is there a way to look/see if there is loctite on the parts? Do I need to disassemble the entire helicopter and rebuild it to be on the safe side? If there are any websites or videos you would recommend that would be great too.

Lastly, looking ahead, what batteries are folks using for the 500L that have the most bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance.
Wild Steelhead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey buddy hows it going, I was eyeing that 500L also, Lol.

So in certain areas Loctite is more critical than others and you should definitely take the time to check to protect your investment.

The only way you can really check is to remove the fasteners and confirm threadlock was applied. Afterwards you will have to reapply it. I use blue Loctite or med strength for mostly everything.

The very critical areas will be the feathering spindle (the shaft that holds the main blade grips together), the tail shaft where the tail blade grips mount, the motor screws, the servo horns (servo arms). Other critical areas would be the linkage balls on the swashplate and blade grips that the links pop on to.

Its also a good idea to apply it to the frame screws also.

It would probably be a good idea to tear most of it down and apply Loctite. At least make sure the critical areas have it. Also you want Loctite on the pinion gear (gear on the motor).
Basically anything that screws that goes into metal.

As far as batteries I think 6s 3300's are pretty common but you need to watch dimensions carefully as space is limited. There is a what battery fits thread somewhere. I'll try and find it and post a link for you.

I may have missed a detail or two as I'm a bit tired but these are at least some of the basics.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I'll help as much as I can.
mototogo78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I appreciate the detailed response. I was thinking disassembling it was the right approach, and I'll certainly be sure to hit the areas you mentioned. I figured that disassembling and assembling it will also get me very knowledgeable with the bird for the inevitable repairs in the future.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Making any progress? Do you have a good set of hex drivers? I highly recommend Mip hex drivers. They make wrenching easier and more enjoyable.
mototogo78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations with your new 500L It is a sweet heli in my eyes. If I were you I would do a total teardown. Better safe than sorry. As long as you do have all the parts I dont think you will have any problems assembling the heli. The 500L was my very first, and was very easy to build and tune. And you will get all the help you need on the way from the guys in here
Henriksen88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input guys. FedEx will have it here late next week, but unfortunately I am going away for the weekend, so it will be a while before I can work on it.

Mototogo78, funny you mention MIP, as I was just looking to order a set. Glad to hear they are good tools.

Recommendation for pitch gauge? Was looking at the RC Logger. Any experience with it?

Lastly, any preferred ball link pliers for a 500?
Old 05-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MIP Thorpe drivers are excellent, you will not be disappointed with them.

The RC Logger digital pitch gauge is also a great tool.

For ball link pliers, the helimax curved tip ones are good for the price. http://www.helidirect.com/heli-max-c...nk-pliers.html

The JR Ball link pliers with green handle are the absolute best though.

I would recommend ordering these parts:

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/450L-C...XX_p_2498.html The 450L mounts in the front make taking the canopy on and off much, much easier.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dchekas, so the 450l mounts must be shorter, and thus the canopy goes on easier?

I've also heard it is hard to get the tail boom off. Is there an aftermarket part that mahes it easier?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, 450l mounts are shorter. You should get those or simply cut the originals by ca 4mm. They made the 500l frame wider, but they dident widen the canopy.

The tail gear box can be a bitch to remove. The boom itself slips out ok.
Henriksen88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure you have the manual or download it, then completely strip and rebuild. Then you know and you learn.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in