Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade SR Battery Charging Question

hope someone knows the answer to this, but, i just ordered a blade SR, the instructions say not to use an after market charger to charge the battery because of circuitry on the battery........has anyone tried using an after market charger? were there any problems? i just would hate to have to use the stock charger if i don't have to, thanks for the help
WhiteCloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Soon after I got my SR, I got a smart charger and never had a problem. As long as it is a lipo charger and you select the right number of cells and the correct current, there will be no problem.
There is nothing special about SR batteries.
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have a blade sr (2 actually) and as long as you have a good balancing lipo charger and select the proper voltage and current you should be fine.

Jim
Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCloud View Post
hope someone knows the answer to this, but, i just ordered a blade SR, the instructions say not to use an after market charger to charge the battery because of circuitry on the battery........has anyone tried using an after market charger? were there any problems? i just would hate to have to use the stock charger if i don't have to, thanks for the help
It actually says not to use an aftermarket charger? That is strange.
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog_taz View Post
It actually says not to use an aftermarket charger? That is strange.
I gotta go look at manual, don't remember anything about that.....if anything I'd be afraid of
stock charger.....have heard some of those weren't that great....
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Battery Charging
It is important that you only charge the included 3S 11.1V 1000mAh Li-Po Battery Pack (EFLB0997) with the included 3S 11.1V Li-Po
Balancing Charger (EFLC3105). Your battery pack is equipped with special Charge Protection Circuitry and a Balance Charge Lead with
connector that is only compatible with this charger.
CAUTION: Attempting to charge the battery pack using another Li-Po charger or non Li-Po compatible charger could result in personal
injury and/or property damage. Please familiarize yourself thoroughly with the Battery Warnings and Guidelines section
before continuing.
The included 3S 11.1V
Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthompson View Post
Battery Charging
It is important that you only charge the included 3S 11.1V 1000mAh Li-Po Battery Pack (EFLB0997) with the included 3S 11.1V Li-Po
Balancing Charger (EFLC3105). Your battery pack is equipped with special Charge Protection Circuitry and a Balance Charge Lead with
connector that is only compatible with this charger.
CAUTION: Attempting to charge the battery pack using another Li-Po charger or non Li-Po compatible charger could result in personal
injury and/or property damage. Please familiarize yourself thoroughly with the Battery Warnings and Guidelines section
before continuing.
The included 3S 11.1V
Well I'll be! I've charged stock batteries, (2 of em) with my imax B6, since I've owned em.
No problems. I usually fly using either my Thunder Power 1350, or zippy 1000 compact though.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
I gotta go look at manual, don't remember anything about that.....if anything I'd be afraid of
stock charger.....have heard some of those weren't that great....
I've had two of the stock chargers fail. One ruined a battery, the other just didn't work right from the start. So i bought the 200w eflite charger and the eflite power supply. That eflite charger stopped working too so i finally bought an icharger 306B. If it is electronic and says eflite, its junk in my opinion.
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog_taz View Post
I've had two of the stock chargers fail. One ruined a battery, the other just didn't work right from the start. So i bought the 200w eflite charger and the eflite power supply. That eflite charger stopped working too so i finally bought an icharger 306B. If it is electronic and says eflite, its junk in my opinion.
That's the sort of things I've heard about the stock chargers.
Is why I left it still packed in the box when I bought the heli....
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys!

i have a Hitec Touch charger that i have been using for a month or two now and i am pretty happy with it, easy to set up and use, so thats the charger i am planning on using, but when i read that paragraph in the manual i got a little nervous on trying to use it but you guys mention that you are using aftermarket chargers without a problem then i feel pretty safe. again thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
thanks for the help guys!

i have a Hitec Touch charger that i have been using for a month or two now and i am pretty happy with it, easy to set up and use, so thats the charger i am planning on using, but when i read that paragraph in the manual i got a little nervous on trying to use it but you guys mention that you are using aftermarket chargers without a problem then i feel pretty safe. again thanks for the help
It'll be fine, but always keep an eye on any Lipo
your charging, they can explode, and cause a fire..
Rodney
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

i tried to charge my SR battery on my Hitec Touch charger and it errored out, it said no connection! so, i am left with using the provided stock charger

i guess the instruction manual was right
Old 09-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i tried to charge my SR battery on my Hitec Touch charger and it errored out, it said no connection! so, i am left with using the provided stock charger

i guess the instruction manual was right
I have an Imax B6, and a Venom pro charger both of these charge not only my E-flite batteries,
but my Thunder Power, and Zippy compact batteries....you might want to check the connections somewhere, your charger should charge it.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. The stock charger charges through just the balance connector. But smart chargers probably all require both the balance connector and the main connector plugged in because they do further checking that everything is proper before continuing. I also had connection error till I plugged in everything.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhh yes I did same thing when I first started using a better charger forgot about that....
Check that you have both ends of battery plugged in WhiteCloud, and always try to use
the battery balance charge function.....it's better for your battery.......probably should get
a battery checker also.....one of my chargers I found was giving me a false reading also.
It would say 4..20 per cell, when actually it was 4.21 when finished charging...so I always
have to cut charger off if I use that one at 4.19 per cell.
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

here's the part that i don't understand, when i charge the SR battery on the stock charger the charger only uses the balance plug, and when i charge my mCPX BL batteries (which only have one lead) the charger has no problem with it. i did have a connection error on the charger when i hooked it up the same way as the mCPX BL batteries??

how do i hook up the charger if i am charging multiple batteries at the same time? i.e. parralel charging?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are those batteries on the MCPx lipo's?
I'll assume your setting up charger to lipo's,
I may be wrong but I think you need a parallel
Charge board to charge multiple battery's,
And there should be leads to connect the Red
JST connector to as well as plugging in your white
balance plug so you won't get an error, also
You may have to set up charger for that battery...
ie.....11.1 v 3S and if it's the stock E-flight battery you,
Charge at 1.0 C...
500 Pro DFC
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the charger doesnt check both connections when you select 1s. But when you select 3s for the SR batteries, it checks both connections. As far as I know to charge multiple 3s batteries you need "Y" cables or something similar which split out the balance connector to multiples and split out the main connector to multiples. BuddyRC.com sells a large selection. Here are the cables I use to parallel charge 3s batteries:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ParallelCables.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	539233  
Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

i don't think i explained it right, the mCPX BL uses a 2s 200mah battery, when i charge the batteries i connect several of these batteries to a board which hooks to the positive and negative plugs of the charger, it also hooks to a balance board connected to the charger, this works without a hitch every time, but when i hook the SR battery to a 3s board which also has hookups to the positive and negative of the charger and a hookup to the balance board it errors out on connection error??

its the same hookup procedure, thats what i am confused about
Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it sounds like you are doing it right, and it should work. Make sure the connectors are well seated and no wires are loose. It could be a bad parallel board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in