Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Blade 500x / 500 3D today?

I noticed that there's one of these on most of the Blade sub-forums, but not here... and instead of posting in other topics about this, I guess we should have one of our own!

Today, I decided to try out some of the $14 430mm Revolution FB blades on my 500x!

I ran 5 packs today for a total of a little over 32 minutes of flight time. What did I find out?

Well, the difference between the 430mm Revolution FB and FBL blades is much more significant than the difference between the 325mm Align FB and FBL blades on the 450x... (325F and 325D). On the 450x, I could barely tell the difference. On the 500x, the difference was very noticeable. Of course this is comparing apples to oranges, but still worth noting.

The FB blades spool up much more quickly... probably due to being both lighter and having the CG shifted towards the rotor head. I'm fairly certain that my head speed was higher, it certainly sounded like it. Different and much more blade fart.

They flew just fine, though it felt like cyclic response was significantly improved. I have my rate set at 70%, it felt a bit more responsive than the FBL blades at 100%. It's possible that it's making the FBL unit work harder... I noticed my tail didn't feel like it was holding as well. I've put off making BX adjustments because it almost seemed unnecessary, but the FB blades will push me to fine tune my BX.

The FBL blades are more stable. And more docile. It doesn't feel like a 3D beast with them at 70% rates. The FB blades do feel like they'll be great for 3D. Very responsive, faster head speed. Even more precise. All in all, they definitely feel like different blades. It took a few packs getting used to them, but I'll leave them on for the time being... until my new packs arrive and then I'll switch back to see how I like them compared to the FBL.

On average, for the same flight timer, I'm putting 250mah less back into the batteries. So, they might be pushing the FBL harder, but it's working the battery less. This is for 6:30-7:00 of flight time per battery on the stock Eflite 2900mah 30c batteries. I have two Pulse 3000mah 45c batteries on the way, so I'll try both sets on these new batteries when they arrive.

I received a 12t pinion and metal tail servo brackets... I'll probably install them tomorrow!

Anyway, proof is in the pudding or whatever...

So what did YOU do with your B500X/3D today?
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For real? Nobody has started one yet? Nice!!!

Took her inverted for 2 whole packs, did some minor landscaping by trimming flowers and practiced piros until it was too dark to fly. I've been putting at least 2 batteries a day through mine.

I really feel this helicopter has a small following and is overlooked.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did I do with my 500X today? Nothing, just looked at it and wept. So freaking cold out you can't fly!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info on the FB blades. I have a few sets and have yet to get my 500x in the air. It was nice here the other day but with 25 MPH winds. I still need to get a few more batteries and some metal tail grips. What are the advantage of the 12T pinion? Lower headspeed ? I was also looking in to a better ESC and scorpion motor. I run a governor head on my gaui x3 and like it.
brokenwing40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think little bit lower head speed but more torque. I might grab a 12 because head speed is high! With 13
mike4884 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought about my 500 in the closet and dreamt of warmer weather (-7 F today).
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja View Post
I thought about my 500 in the closet and dreamt of warmer weather (-7 F today).
One on the bookcase. One in the closet. My backyard thermometer registered 77.7 F yesterday. It was sunny all day with no wind. I have no excuse.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawhacker View Post
One on the bookcase. One in the closet. My backyard thermometer registered 77.7 F yesterday. It was sunny all day with no wind. I have no excuse.
Oh that would be so sweet! Can't tell you how jealous I am.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	490673  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Today it was raining... the sky cleared a bit for a few minutes... I flew half a pack until gusts started hitting 20-25mph-ish. I didn't like my heli being pushed around and seeing the FBL trying to compensate so I brought it right back down.

Got two new Pulse batteries today. Will probably install the metal tail servo bracket and the tail spacers to tighten up the play that has developed while breaking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwing40 View Post
Thanks for the info on the FB blades. I have a few sets and have yet to get my 500x in the air. It was nice here the other day but with 25 MPH winds. I still need to get a few more batteries and some metal tail grips. What are the advantage of the 12T pinion? Lower headspeed ? I was also looking in to a better ESC and scorpion motor. I run a governor head on my gaui x3 and like it.
Thanks! I was wondering what they flew like on this heli. I wasn't sure, so had to try it myself.

I switched back to the FBL blades and will try the 12t pinion. I have no idea how it's going to fly, but I'll check it out and report back.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Megawhacker,

You are at 77^F in Oregon??? What???? Which part??? I used to live in Portland and it would always freezing-rain in the Columbia River Gorge or be 40 and raining for 8 months.

It's lower 20's ^F in DC area. Sick of this long cold winter and the high humidity makes it much worse.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
Today it was raining... the sky cleared a bit for a few minutes... I flew half a pack until gusts started hitting 20-25mph-ish. I didn't like my heli being pushed around and seeing the FBL trying to compensate so I brought it right back down.

Got two new Pulse batteries today. Will probably install the metal tail servo bracket and the tail spacers to tighten up the play that has developed while breaking in.

Thanks! I was wondering what they flew like on this heli. I wasn't sure, so had to try it myself.

I switched back to the FBL blades and will try the 12t pinion. I have no idea how it's going to fly, but I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks I would like to know. I am going to pick up a 12T today if I get time.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flies great with the 12T IMO. I picked up a 3D when they were crazy cheap, and converted to FBL.

The 3D came stock with a 12T, the X with a 13T. I picked up a 13 when I did the conversion, but haven't seen a need to put it in yet.

If I remember right, I'm running 2500 and 2600 governed head speeds.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirifick View Post
Megawhacker,

You are at 77^F in Oregon??? What???? Which part??? I used to live in Portland and it would always freezing-rain in the Columbia River Gorge or be 40 and raining for 8 months.

It's lower 20's ^F in DC area. Sick of this long cold winter and the high humidity makes it much worse.
Medford. And that was two days ago now. I can say, however that Loreto, Mexico was in the 70's and sunny when I was there this afternoon and that Venice Beach, CA was light jacket weather earlier this evening.

I think Medford was just above 60 yesterday. I was in Portland and Seattle earlier this week and they were just as you remember. I also have had my share of freezing rain in the Columbia Gorge.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love to see it in the 70's. It's 5:00 am here an 8 F outside with 15 MPH winds out of the north. Going to be 45 tomorrow I hope to get out and fly.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday I developed a tail vibe after adding the bearing shim... I also added the metal tail servo mount.

Afterwards, I noticed the rear screw of the bearing housing wasn't installed. I'm fairly certain I put it on. It shouldn't have worked itself out as I do use loctite. Hopefully I'll get a test flight this afternoon to see if that's the problem.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Blade 500 x 🚁sunset and cold! (2 min 5 sec)

Checking out pitch parameter and cyclic response after coming back from field ....flying with 3300 mah pulse 45c
mike4884 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pushed the carcass to the corner to make room to install an IKon in the 700x.
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Developed vibrations from the metal tailcase... I think the bearings failed. I put the stock tailcase back on and it's flying better. About to fly a 5th pack. It's nice out, no rain and the sun is shining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
Pushed the carcass to the corner to make room to install an IKon in the 700x.
Ouch! The carcass... that sounds really bad. Hope your ikon install goes well!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still too cold to fly even though it warmed up nicely today, up to -22. Went snowshoeing instead, very windy, gusts giving -45 windchill. Gorgeous day but come on spring, tired of hearing how these soCal guys are having fun already.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
Still too cold to fly even though it warmed up nicely today, up to -22. Went snowshoeing instead, very windy, gusts giving -45 windchill. Gorgeous day but come on spring, tired of hearing how these soCal guys are having fun already.
I prefer curling to heli's anyway eh'
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in