Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveneziano View Post
Agree 100% they are the best out, only need to buy one ever if you don't drop it lol

I know i'm late but machining parts that solar turbine uses. Which help us get gas and what not haha Interapid hands down the best dial. Mechanical all the way!
Noob2heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends on type and your budget. "Dial" type indicators have a measurement range of typically .5" to 2" or even more, and have long straight measuring spindle with interchangeable tips. I prefer a digital version, because you can "zero" the display position, or switch from inch to metric units with a push of a button. Also non-"Digital" versions can be confusing to read, as distances over .100"/one revolution of main pointer hand on the dial face, must be read from a second, and much smaller pointer, in increments of .100". Digital versions display the distance directly on the LCD display area, whether it is .036 or 1.789. Digital is more costly though, and requires periodic battery replacement. They are generally used for measurement of stationary (non-moving) parts/features.

The other type, a "Test" indicator (often called a "dial" indicator as well), with a short pivoting tip, is rarely found in "digital" form. The display "lag", inherant to nearly all digital instruments, make digital versions unsuitable when used for measuring "run-out" of a rotating shaft, or whenever the measured value would be rapidly changing during measurement. Measurement range is small on this type of indicator (typically .032" @ a resolution of .001") and is most often limited to a single revolution of the dial-hand.

Any way you go, stay away from the cheap import crap, as they can be unreliable, are are often very poor quality. You can get some great deals on top quality used gauges (Mitutoyo, Starret, Browne & Sharpe, Interapid, to name a few) if you shop around. I have bought many used gauges, and even machine tools, on eBay, for often as low as 25% of original price. Just make sure to only buy from reputable sellers, and that your item is covered by eBay's "buyer protection" program.

I am a master machinist by trade, and still use some of my grandfather's and father's measuring tools. If you invest in professional grade tools and take proper care of them, they can last you a lifetime, even longer.
drewluvskarin69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cheap is not always bad... I calibrate or verify cheap indicators at work and they are good to 5 microns depends on what you wanna check
I agree on the gage blocks to verify tbings very good idea
Only have 13years experience in machining and quality engineering field so I can't say I know as much as some of these old timers haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in