Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui = Junk

Ok. I think I have had enough. My first and last Gaui. I was so excited to get this model and now am thinking about its sale. I have a second kit which I will part out to make it like new again. I haven't even gone through 3 gallons in it!

My tail hub broke today. I just changed out the brass sleeve with a raptor 30 one, it is prefect. This is a NEW X5 hub. About 10 flights on it. I replaced it after finding my last one was bending.

I have had all the tail issues plus the others. Screws coming loose, wobbly clutch bell, 2 swashplates coming apart with slop etc etc. Unhappy. I might need to buy back my T-Rex 600.

What a let down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368746644.222590.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	420773

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368746777.572018.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	420774

tauseef
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow...I have no idea how the rock solid tail of the X5 breaks so easily on this smaller bird. The tail is just not a problem on the X5...nothing is really as it's just so reliable.

Sounds like a fair amount of angst is directed at the nitro motor but it's not good that swashes are playing up as well as the tail and motor.

Gaui aren't 'high' end but they do seem to have good quality products (they do get batches of problem parts though)...maybe they just didn't do enough testing or just bit off a little more than they could chew with this heli...the irony is that if the heli had more power and could be beaten on harder (X4 II?) maybe even more issues would surface...
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm really sorry to see this.

Every manufacturer has it's share of failures ... Align included (just look at how many different versions of the same models they put out to correct problems).

I would talk to the dealer you purchased from, I'm sure they will get you looked after promptly and satisfactorily.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Gaui = Junk

I understand failures happen... Especially after 25 years now. I guess I was just expecting better since so many seem to like the X5. This really was one of the only models which I was very excited to get.

I wish Gaui would address it. It's annoying that as the problem came about, the only upgrades they have made deal with spinning the blades even faster.

Where is the upgraded pitch slider and tail hub? At least Align comes out with fixes quickly.

I still don't believe the top pilots have had no issues as they beat the machine around. I can't imagine the little bit of 3D I throw at it is stressing it to the limits.

I'm just not impressed. Great concept but needed more testing.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure if the Team Pilots are experiencing this (I have no idea if they are or are not) that it's probably a priority.

I would definitely contact your dealer ... I think they can probably help you. Perhaps the part you received was particularly bad.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Gaui = Junk

U can buy the worlds finest product and still get a lemon. Gaui x series helicopters seem to be good helicopters. My x5 has been bullet proof for almost 2 years. Same with my friends flying gaui helicopters.

I have not heard much about the x4 but hopefully it was just a fluke. Sorry to see that happen

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
I have not heard much about the x4 but hopefully it was just a fluke. Sorry to see that happen
Danny, this is the NX4 he has ... that said, I was loving my X4II until I plowed it into a big wooden pole.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sucks I've changed the slider and thought about chancing the hub but am deffinately gonna change it,, true Gauin seems to be on ignore what the heck
Blade3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui = Junk

The nitro must have a different effect in this heli vs the electric counterpart. As the hub was brand new and labeled X5.

It hit so hard the swash bearing ring popped off!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368772737.688376.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	420833

Frames broke but engine does not look like it cracked. Maybe.,,,.just maybe Ill keep it.

But no gaui tail.

PS: when it hit my battery unplugged as the battery and regulator were pushed. I could not get the engine off and am sure I smoked the clutch. A throttle return spring would have fix it.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear about that!

To comment on Jeff's statement. I have an NX4, X4 II and X5 and I havent had any issues with part failures at all. Not a single thing. I don't even do any maintenance on them. Threadlock the screws and never mess with it till it crashes. Just my experience.

My NX4 has been crashed really hard 2 times and moderately hard twice. I let a guy fly it last Sunday and it went in doing low piro tic-tocks. The only things that broke were the main and tail blades. Put new ones on and flew the rest of the day. I was surprised, not even a bent spindle.

I'm certainly not downplaying that you and a few others have had some issues. Speaking towards Jeff's comment. I travel to funflys all over the country and I have not personally seen a tail hub shearing off, or any tail failures. In fact no one has mentioned it to me either. The only place I've heard about it is on HF.

I hope you get everything sorted out quickly and to your satisfaction!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW! Sorry to see it "again!" Looks just like mine did last time around. I still haven't pushed mine and it has 2 mech failures on basic fig 8s at 70% throttle. Would almost hate to see what it would be like at 90% and inverted.
I only have 4 tanks threw my new stretched belt mod, but I think it's good so far.
Just noticed another bad vibe though and it's the main bearings.
Almost 1 gal of fuel in it and has had more repairs and bearings then any of my Protos after beating snot out of em learning how to fly! I've buried my mini more times then I can count and never this much grief! Maybe plastic parts would hold up better to vibes?
As much as I like this sucker, I'm afraid to really fly it just because of all the failures.
Hopefully we were just unlucky w/bad batch.
Here's to hoping,,,,
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui = Junk

Hello all,

Well, we experiment also some issues with the nx4 in France... Pitch slider, play in the swash, clutch issue... And we also are thinking for some of us that the price of the kits are quiet expensive regarding the problems we have to fix In order to fly properly !
For now I am still happy for flying this bird because it rocks as I want but if gaui release a NX7 I will not buy one, that was not my position there is a few weeks ago. But I don't want to experiment tail issues with a 700.

Rms
RamsesFR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man that blows .. i have yet to have my tail fail on me .. i changed out the pitch slider when i bought the heli and also i had problem with the clutch mount ripping off its mounts but other than that this heli is going strong still

i hope gaui fix this problem asap this will lower there sales drastically on the nx4 and not to mention this little guy is not a cheap machine for it size ! i could of got a goblin 500 up and running around about same price in the u.k. but this thing is really fun to throw around its a shame these tails are not up for the job
Gaza-Davies is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Both of my frames cracked right by the starter mount. Ahhhh... this little heli has cost me more than many. Gaui is doing a good job testing my building skills, patience, autoing skills, hitting throttle hold and running skills as well as my pocketbook. Gaui you are winning! Game well played. I still hate to give up... I love the concept of this little heli. ahhhhhhh!

I am just happy it spared the engine and muffler (as much as I can tell so far). The other usual stuff is toast. It’s one thing if I dumb-thumbed the thing into the ground but this is just frustrating not to mention very unsafe. You just never know when this little thing is going to fail…. and again the ONLY upgrades are how to make it spin even faster . Gaui is going the wrong way.

When Gaui said they were going to release another model last month, I was totally rooting for another NX series like a NX7… so glad they didn’t. I’d hate to see that thing fall apart.

Thanks Matt for writing. I am glad that your NX4 is working well and for many others. I wish mine was. I really loved the idea and was thrilled upon its pre-release. I still don’t get how you guys are not experiencing any tail issues, swashplates coming apart, wobbly clutch bells etc . They must be making your guys kits right . Ours seem to keep falling apart.

Gaza-Davis: I’d change your tail hub out personally. I waited too long to change mine.

Last edited by tauscnc; 05-17-2013 at 11:04 AM..
tauscnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I still don’t get how you guys are not experiencing any tail issues, swashplates coming apart, wobbly clutch bells etc .
@tauscnc - as an owner of several blade helis this question came up multiple times on how the pros/tester never saw the same sort tolerance and quality issues that the end users hit immediately.

The pros and testers were using machines that weren't massed produced. When the heli went to mass production, manufacturing issues came into play. That might be some of what we are seeing here.

Take for instance the Blade 130X. Many owners had gears that were touching the main board while others were fine - this is an obvious manufacturing issue or there is no way they wouldn't have seen the issue in pre-production.
( my 2cents is that I think some of the failures in Blades are "by design" for part revenue).

Blade never really "addressed" the issue other than providing "top-notch" support ( i.e. call and complain and they send you a new one - never addressing the real issue).
They have a mass audience were they probably can get away with loosing a few customers like myself. I am not sure what Gaui's market share is compared to Horizon, but I am guessing that its much less.
They should at least address us and let us know if they plan to investigate or not.

-GN
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey GN

I agree. My 130X was a mess from the get go...well almost from the get go. That is one heli I recommed every bling part available...then it does fly nice

Just Spoke to Jc Zankl,

Very concerned and instant responce. Thank JZ... I will say his support is awesome, at least we have people to contact directly. He wants the parts sent so they can figure out why the hub broke, include tail case etc.

Alright, I'll start rebuilding.... and order different parts for the tail, etc.

I'll give it another go. (Fingers crossed over as many times as possible)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Gaui = Junk

Awesome. Glad you're getting looked after.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Gaza-Davis: I’d change your tail hub out personally. I waited too long to change mine.
i am not going to change it out unless it breaks . i don't want to be searching for problems on the heli .. fly it hard until it goes in plus im through my 4th gallon and if there was a problem with my tail hub i think it would of failed by now

good luck on your rebuild get some videos in
Gaza-Davies is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I've changed mine out. I took the Quick UK tail of my 550e and it fits perfectly.

Not had any problems with my hub, but as it was one of the first batch of kits, I'm not taking that chance. I did that with an Align 700e a couple of years ago. Was advised to change the tail, I ignored the advice, it threw a tail blade on the 6th flight and completely wrote the lot off. A 40 quid tail upgrade, and it would never of happened.

I've never had a problem with the Quick UK tail, nice and light and a solid design. If this fits, then the V2 Align tail would also be a direct fit.

It's a shame to keep reading about failures. As said already, Gaui are losing sales over this.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well im happy with mine just flies and no problems. It does look like that 80% of problems reported here are experienced by only 10% of the posters. . Would be interesting if their kits are all of the same production lot (lemon group) or what what other factor connects them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in