Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > HELI-X Flight Sim

HELI-X Flight Sim HELI-X Flight Sim for Mac, Windows, Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli-X DX6I and Mac

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right spot, so mods feel free to move it.

I have had some issues trying to get my dx6i working on my macbook pro with Heli-X, and there isn't much out there on the web.

Firstly you need a USB dongle to attach the controller.
Like THIS or THIS

Start a new model on the dx6i, and make sure it's type is acro in the set up list.

Turn the dx6i off.

Make sure the switch on the dongle is on XTR.

Before plugging in the controller you need to download some software to make the mac identify the dx6i. The software is Joystick And Gamepad Tester 4.2. You can get it HERE (about half way down the page)
Once that is all sorted you can go ahead and plug in the dx6i, and configure it. I had to reverse a few settings.

I hope this helps someone else struggling with this.
rooni79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooni79 View Post
Start a new model on the dx6i, and make sure it's type is acro in the set up list.
Are you sure about this. I use Heli-X on Linux (with the adaptor mentioned set to XTR) and my DX6i is set to "HELI", not "ACRO".

I can post full DX6i TX setup in the morning if requested.

As Heli-X uses Java and OpenGL (btw, It's not slow and I get between 120 and 200fps), I am sure the program interface is the same for Mac, Linux and Windows.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hhmmmm I read acro somewhere and it is working! Your full set up would be awesome
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hhmmmm I read acro somewhere and it is working! Your full set up would be awesome

USB 12 in 1 Simulator plug uses XTR setting

DX6i settings: (I put this in Model 10 and called it " SIM" (leading space))

Setup List
- Model Type: Heli
- Reverse: All N (normal)
- Swash Type: 1Servo90
- Throttle Cut: ACT
- DR Combi: Rudd
Adjust List
- DR & expo: all 100%/0(INH) - switches 0 and 1
- Travel Adjust: all 100%
- Sub Trim: all 0
- Gyro: SW-F.Mode (0 - 100% (norm)) (1 - 0% (stunt))
- Throttle Curve: (Norm - 100,100,100,100,100: Stunt - 100,100,100,100,100: Hold - 0)
- Pitch Curve: (All - 0,25,50,75,100)
- Swash Mix: INH
- Mix 1: INH
- Mix 2: INH

Heli-X settings (Configuration | Controller)

Sticks
- Collective Pitch (Comp_5 - Invert)
- Cyclic roll (Comp_0 - invert)
- Cyclic nick (Comp_1)
- Rudder (Comp_4)
Buttons (flick switches and you can see what lights red).
- Comp_0 [Invert] (Idle Up 2)
- Comp_3- (Autorotation)
Keyboard
- Idle Up 1 - "1" {personally never use this}
- Toggle Pause Resume - SPACE

Set model curves in Configuration | Flight Mode

To fly, set to F.Mode 1 (idle-up) and release TH (this is how I fly normally anyway).

Enjoy.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mac sim

Salutations,

I am on the road and carry my DX6i and a Nano for hotel room workouts. I am also a Mac user of 20+ years. I will be back in a bit with my impressions.
Since I know nothing ........... do not expect words of wisdom. If I can figure it out it is a winner!
CaptainKen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for those ArchmageAU. I swapped to heli on my dx6i and saw very little difference. Weird

Another wird thingis that sometimes the mac doesn't recognise the usb dongle. I swap it for another and it works. The next day vice versa!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks for those ArchmageAU. I swapped to heli on my dx6i and saw very little difference. Weird

Another wird thingis that sometimes the mac doesn't recognise the usb dongle. I swap it for another and it works. The next day vice versa!
The mac USB recognition is weird. Would expect that to work consistently.

Heli vs Acro on settings is not expected to make a great difference. The DX6i is a 6 channel transmitter, the USB reciever is just picking up the 6 channel PPM signal being transmitted. The main difference beween acro and heli modes is that heli can vary two channels on the one stick (throttle/collective) instead of having (gear and flaps). I'm sure I could experiment and get an acro setup that works the switches correctly, but I am happy with the current heli setup as I only fly idle up.

Heli-X using TX throttle/collective values is in beta I believe. When this one is released then using heli mode will be far more preferable (as you can bypass the curves setup in flight mode). If you use a DX8 (or something with multiple idle up modes) this control style is far more preferable.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there any trick to this guys?

I have the 12 in 1 dongle installed and no lights come on and nothing seems to be recognized.

Man, I came accross this thread and thought I found some hope!

Thanks,
Turnigy Power Systems.
jk6stringer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a joystick tester application. This will eliminate heli-x as a source of problems and you can make sure your Mac sees the ppm device.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I downloaded joystick testing and still nothing.
When I boot into boot camp and Windows 8 everything just works. The Mac doesn't even power on the light on the 12 in 1. Does your light come on? And is there some way to enable ppm on the Mac?

Thanks
Turnigy Power Systems.
jk6stringer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this is an old thread, but mac not recognizing usb dongle…??
Downloaded the tester app and still nothing
Help Please!
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is bad news. Does the PPM device show up at all? I've had incompatible sim cables come up with all zeros on a PPM device before... If there is not device I'm not sure what advice to give.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Codec, now the PPM device shows up in the Joystick setup app. But when it asks me to move the sticks to all possible positions, nothing happens.

I've scoured the web and find conflicting ways of how to connect. Some are saying change to acro/plane mode, some heli, etc… very frustrating.

ok, I'll keep trying different things
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does you simulator cable have a mono plug on it? This is necessary and often overlooked by e-retailers.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, mono plug. I got one of the above ones that someone else had used with success. Thanks btw for trying to help!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, some advancement. I got the joystick app to recognize the controller…at least the numbers were moving as I moved the sticks. I then opened Heli-x, but still no movement. I'm guessing the blue lines are supposed to move according to the sticks?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes they should when you calibrate the sticks on Heli-X. I assume you tried this?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, but no movement…I'll try messing with the Heli-x settings next.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be double sure you go to the calibration steps before you write off your current settings/configuration.

If the calibration is off...then the movements of the sticks will not necessarily translate to the result you expect in Heli-X until this is done correctly.

It could still be you are right. I only say this to be sure you know you must click that STICK button in the Controller pop up window, center your sticks, click OK...and then move all the axes to max/min.

At this stage (and on this window and step in the process) you can really say for sure if Heli-X sees nothing, or something...or everything you expect.

The first window/screen that comes up after you enter the Controller menu is NOT what your transmitter is sending. That is what your tramsmitter is sending plus-minus whatever random scale factors are there by default.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys…got it to work!!

I was using version 4.something. I tried using version 5 and the blue bars in the configuration tab were responding to the sticks

I had to reverse a couple settings on my tx, but all is good now. Heli-x looks really good, especially for a free demo. I'm flying the Logo 600 since its the closest thing to my biggest heli which is the Blade 300x. I mostly fly the 130x, so the 600 is way more floaty then what I am used to (are the bigger birds really this floaty?). I dialed in the settings to get them close… It definitely is easier to fly the sim, especially cause there doesn't seem to be any bogging, but hey, no complaining here.

In the last 20 mins while practicing inverted orientations, I think I've already saved $30-$50 in repair costs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in