Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 14sg battery charging

Hi, how do I know when my battery is done charging on my 14sg? Does the light on the charger itself shut off? And what voltage do u all plug the transmitters in at? Never used a nimh before and don't want to charge it too soon and ruin it. It's the stock nimh pack. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronp97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Low-voltage should be set-to 5.6v with stock pack.

I always charged mine for the recommended 15 hours once it was down to 5.6v and never had any problems.

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I ned my Tx soon I'll use my charging setup to charge it otherwise I charge over night (roughly 13-15 hr) with the stock charger. I haven't let mine get to the 5.6V usually recharge at around 6V depending upon how much flying I'll be doing the following day.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
If I ned my Tx soon I'll use my charging setup to charge it otherwise I charge over night (roughly 13-15 hr) with the stock charger. I haven't let mine get to the 5.6V usually recharge at around 6V depending upon how much flying I'll be doing the following day.
Ok thank u. I'm
At 6.2. I'll b flying all
Week since I'm on vaca
I'll charge once it's
At 6

Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

KSHeli is correct, you should definitely consider charging around the 6.0v level.

The 5.6v setting is recommended for the low-voltage alarm when using the stock-pack (in the manual).

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I charged for 16 hours and light never went out. Started at 7.4v and after 2 flights of about 3 minutes each it went to 7.2. Was it all the way done?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilliHeli View Post
KSHeli is correct, you should definitely consider charging around the 6.0v level.

The 5.6v setting is recommended for the low-voltage alarm when using the stock-pack (in the manual).
Yep, just the sound I love to hear when I go out to fly right after school and I power the Tx up for the first flight. That's why I adopted the 6V rule for myself and its worked well for me. If I'm going somewhere else to fly I always charge up.
Enjoy the 14sg I know I'm really enjoying mine.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp97 View Post
I charged for 16 hours and light never went out. Started at 7.4v and after 2 flights of about 3 minutes each it went to 7.2. Was it all the way done?
aaronp97,
I don't remember any lights going out once I had done a full-charge cycle (15 hrs.) but my voltage did drop similar-to what you have described with yours.
This can be common with NiMH type packs and it is possible for the voltage to stay around the 7.4v range after a few cycles (discharging (with use) and charging).

KSHeli,
I know what you mean (low-voltage alarm sounding), kind-of a drag when you know that the wal-wart charger (stock) will need at least a few hours of charging to get you to a safe voltage for Flying.

I did run my stock NiMH pack all the way down to the 5.6v alarm when I initially set-up my (3) Helis.
Two of these use vbar which takes a little-more time than my remaining Flybar'd T-Rex 250.
After doing a full-charge cycle the pack was quite-strong and voltage stayed in the mid-to-lower 6v range with no-problems.

I have since switched-to the Hyperion 2S LiFEPO4 2080mAh pack, it showed about the same amount-of voltage drop after it's first full-charge but is quite-a-bit stronger than the NiMH pack.
This helps with vibration and standard alarms and works very-well with the new voice-alarm(s).

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew 8 times today and radio dropped again to 6.8 v. Hopefully it stays there and I didn't ruin by overcharging

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp97 View Post
I flew 8 times today and radio dropped again to 6.8 v. Hopefully it stays there and I didn't ruin by overcharging
The supplied Ni-Mh pack is 5 cells, so the nominal voltage is 6 volts. Staying at 6.8 volts for 8 flights seems good to me.

Check the current output of the charger you used. If it is around 150mA then it is designed for a 15 hour charge time. It is also low enough that if you left the battery on charge for a few hours longer it will not damage the battery.

I have found that the battery hot off the charger is around 7 volts and that drops quite quickly to 6.5 volts and then stays there for a long time, dropping by just a couple of tenths of a volt over several hours of use.
Andy from Sandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pretty common behavior with the NiMh pack included with the radio. The voltage will sag pretty quick fresh off the charge. Typically, it hovers between 6.5-6.7V for awhile, and then slowly sag down to 6V.

I typically charge mine when it reaches 6.0V.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in