Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Banshee Helicopters

Banshee Helicopters Banshee Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quite a day at the airfield today.

I start out flying my new Cyclone 555's on my 550SX and I was loving them.
I had an orientation issue that I "thought" I was in control of at the end of the field, and whoops!

I had my TDR with me, but it didn't sound right after the first flight and I noticed that one of intermediate gear bearings seemed shot and had play.

So I figured I would just fly my Banshee for the rest of the day.

I have to say I was LOVING my Banshee today. It just flies so beautifully and I was flying 1200 rpm big air, 1650 slow 3D, and 2000 with some slower speed runs. I was actually feeling really good about my flying today with some really precise looking moves and some fast inverted passes the length of the runway 4-5' off the ground.

So I'm on my last pack coming in for my final landing for the day and just a foot or less off the ground a large green beetle lands on my right hand.... These things have been swarming around the field today and I got spooked and boom! Luckily it just looks like links, blades, boom and left landing gear and not much else, but I'll need to look a lot closer to make sure.

Looks like I get a chance to get to know my Banshee better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow!!! Mark sorry to see that bro I hope it is just a few thing as you said!!! Hate to hear about anybody crashing specially the Banshee brothers!!!

Jay
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm so sorry for your loss Mark....Damn that is really not nice to see...hopefully you did not have your carbon fiber canopy on.... However getting close and personal with the Banshee must be fun....Atleast there is a positive side to this story. Looking forward to your build thread...you have a unique set of skills when it comes to a write up...
wblombard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblombard View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss Mark....Damn that is really not nice to see...hopefully you did not have your carbon fiber canopy on.... However getting close and personal with the Banshee must be fun....Atleast there is a positive side to this story. Looking forward to your build thread...you have a unique set of skills when it comes to a write up...
I had my fiberglass canopy on, but other than a 1/8" cut near the swash it still looks perfect.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Reminder to self: don't bring Banshee to field as backup
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Quite unusual. I also had an unusual landing event with my Forza 450 today. It tipped over on an uneven landing surface. First time for me. Not sure if HC over reacted or I instinctively leaned on cyclic. I don't seem to have much luck with my "fields". It was either thicker grass or a lean to surface. Thinking of switching to TH landing style. Would be good for Banshee too.
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mini autos that's the only way I land all my heli's, been doing it since I started flying...
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Could this be a result of going electric and governed throttle curves?
I don't recall mini auto's being used as the main method of landing with Nitro's.
I probably missed a trick switching.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It really doesn't look to bad.

I don't think I have much more left.

Boom, tail guide ring, belt, tail rod, tail spindle, tail hub, one side landing gear, the main grip links. A couple landing gear bolts and the aluminum spacer between them.

I'll probably add new tail hub bearings for good measure.

I'm going to spin the main drivetrain minus tail belt to see if there are any vibrations and if what I suspect is true and everything is in order including the main shaft and bearings.

Fortunately the SK-720 vibration analysis should be able to point out exactly where any problem areas may be.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Have never built a TDR but should be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Banshee tail. I was amazed at the precision engineering when assembling the tail and perfection in smoothness that I've never been able to achieve on any other heli.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
Have never built a TDR but should be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Banshee tail. I was amazed at the precision engineering when assembling the tail and perfection in smoothness that I've never been able to achieve on any other heli.
I'm noticing little things that I missed like the little delrin rings inside the tail rod guides to make sure your Banshee's tail doesn't squeek.

I'm also noticing that the factory loctiting was done very well. Plenty on every bolt I removed.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Missed the ones inside the guide but love the grip around the boom. I had to redo about 5 bolts on the frame that had freed up over time.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just noticed that the Banshee's tail bearings are identical to those in my 550SX tail which I purchased 20 of in bulk.

The Ball links are identical too to Mikado's too. Just got a 10 pack from Mikado USA.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Auch!!! So sorry!

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
Auch!!! So sorry!
It's just a flesh wound!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

As bad as it hurts i much enjoyed getting to know my banshee and "de corking" her
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
As bad as it hurts i much enjoyed getting to know my banshee and "de corking" her
I just spun it up the drivetrain without the tail on it and it was smooth as silk.

It looks like the Intermediate gear belted to the motor slides on a OWB and I'm guessing that like on a Mikado that this is expected and self centering.

I have a 2.0 G's of vertical vibration at 1900rpm, but at 1200 and 1650 it is less than 1G. I think this looks pretty good. I had not spun up the Banshee without a tail before.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Care to post some video's and pictures Mark? Must say I agree with Michael, i would not mind getting close and personal with the banshee. I guess my time will come
wblombard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in