Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Why does my Raptor 60 fly sooo good?

Hi guys, let me ask you all a crazy sounding question.

With winter settling in, I've been flying my Sim. a lot lately (clearview) and after close observation of all the helis offered, (including the majority of Align choppers), "lo and behold" the Raptor 60 clearly flies the best in a broad-spectrum comparison! (IMO)

Now I know it is "Just Sim. Software", but I'm in the market for a 50 or 60 size heli and if there's any varasity to these flight characteristics I may need to reconsider my shopping choices,

So with all that said.... just wondering, is there really something majical about the TT Raptor 60 - in all reality?
Ok, maybe majical is a stretch, but is the Sim. demonstrating some super cool blend of power, proportions ratios, head geometry, weight balance or other design features that have converged in the Raptor 60 for the 'Perfect Storm"?

I recognize that this is a loaded question, especially in this forum, (kinda like asking a drunk if he likes booze! hehe). But what do you guys think, is the Raptor 60 just another bird alongside say, ... the Trex 600 or Gaui 6x, or is it a bird of distinction?

And by the way, what is your take on my sim. Raptor 60 - just a fluke?? Or do I need a shrink?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!
RUN4COVER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a 60. It flies very nice. It is heavy, nearly weighs what a 90 weighs, and only has the OS-70 powering it. Mine in it's current state will do mild 3D, but you have to be very conscious of your collective management. It simply does not have the power to bang around 3-5 feet off the deck. It is built like a tank though. I have botched auto rotations and dropped it in from about 5 feet and had no damage. I've dragged the torque tube tail through the dirt and not broken any gears. I love the thing.

As far as your sim goes, I don't have any experience with the clearview, so it could fly like the actual heli, or not.

T-Rex 470LP...
TCipolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about the SIM but a friend of mine has a Raptor 60 and it fly great!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The raptor 60 in clearview has clearly had the most development on it and indeed it was my favourite when I used CV.

I use Pheonix most now though, the physics are a bit better and the multi player works really well.

on pheonix all of the big helis fly better.

I have a raptor 60 which I hope to maiden over the holidays but if it flys like my 90 gasser it will be beautiful as said above these are old heavy designs so will never be the mosquito like madness of a more modern design but for stability and nice flying tendencies it is up there with the best.

by the way the raptor 60 runs on a .70 size engine so the fuel consumption is going to be a lot more than a 50.

/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Oldie to nitro's

Been out of nitro's for 12 years or more. Just got my hands on a Raptor 90 SE AND A new Trex 700n.
Traded a coup.le of trex 500's for them. The 90's all have top end electronics. I am excited to fly these big birds. Biggest I flew back in the day was a raptor and bergen 50.
bergen flier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN4COVER View Post
Hi guys, let me ask you all a crazy sounding question.

With winter settling in, I've been flying my Sim. a lot lately (clearview) and after close observation of all the helis offered, (including the majority of Align choppers), "lo and behold" the Raptor 60 clearly flies the best in a broad-spectrum comparison! (IMO)

Now I know it is "Just Sim. Software", but I'm in the market for a 50 or 60 size heli and if there's any varasity to these flight characteristics I may need to reconsider my shopping choices,

So with all that said.... just wondering, is there really something majical about the TT Raptor 60 - in all reality?
Ok, maybe majical is a stretch, but is the Sim. demonstrating some super cool blend of power, proportions ratios, head geometry, weight balance or other design features that have converged in the Raptor 60 for the 'Perfect Storm"?

I recognize that this is a loaded question, especially in this forum, (kinda like asking a drunk if he likes booze! hehe). But what do you guys think, is the Raptor 60 just another bird alongside say, ... the Trex 600 or Gaui 6x, or is it a bird of distinction?

And by the way, what is your take on my sim. Raptor 60 - just a fluke?? Or do I need a shrink?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!
In my experience, everything on the sim flies pretty much the same.
They all fly similar to real life, but not close enough to judge how each heli relates to each other. I fly Phoenix 4, but I've played with Real Flight.

I owned and flew an R60. The R60 with flybar is an okay heli. It is typical for that era of helis - lots of plastic. It has the all plastic head and typically has wooden blades.

I converted my R60 to a R90-3D. And then converted that to FBL.
I also own an R90SE that is now converted to FBL.
They fly about the same as a Trex 700.
If you can find an R60 cheap, then buy it. Most of teh R90 parts will fit teh R60, so you should be able to keep it flying.
But, I don't see the point. There are a lot of other flybared .50 sized helis out there.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in