Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Suggestions for low-cost solution for newbie with partially-disabled hand?

I've been flying micro helis for about a year now, started with a Syma S107, then progressing through Blade mCX2, nQX, mSR, and mSR/X (nano cpx will be next).

My dad is now interested in doing the same. The issue is that my dad suffered from polio when he was a boy, and his right thumb is paralyzed and his right hand is weak overall. That's not conducive to handheld 2-stick controllers.

I got him an S107 for Christmas (mine had died months back), because it's cheap, light, stable, and the controller is also small and light. He's enjoying flying it immensely.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to help him step up to an mCX2 or nQX. With his right-hand issues, managing cyclic with the RTF controller that comes with those is going to be an issue. A mode 3 transmitter would likely be ideal, but that's not an inexpensive way to start. Is the solution to get a tray? I've never used one myself (I use a DX6i with a neckstrap), I'm not sure how to select or fit one, or how much they weigh (he also has back problems from the polio).

Any thoughts people have on how to ease him into the hobby would be appreciated. Thanks.
tanstaafl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It think there are two main steps to resolve this issue.

1st one is; to ease the operation of right hand: modified stick tips, limiting / lowering the stick resistance, using a tray, operating in a sitting position...

2nd one is; to switch the cyclic inputs to left stick (mode 3). This could be achieved with a dedicated mode 3 transmitter, or by using a flybarless + full receiver + mode 2 transmitter combo, in which you can alter the connections between flybarless unit and transmitter physically (so the CCPM mixing will be done in the flybarless unit). Also you can buy a cheap transmitter like turnigy 9x and modify it for dsm2 and mode 3.

[ame]http://youtu.be/9was4Ox6PJA?t=2m40s[/ame]
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Turnigy+...onversion/5832

Hope those helps.

PS: Thumbs up for your father
Nightsinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in