Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default pontoons on the skids

Has anyone tried to attach pontoons or floats to the skids of their helicopter and land on a pond or lake. I was running my tunnel boat at the lake today, then flew my 600N. I got the idea to combine the two. It should work in theory, and I think I saw some old hiroboro shuttle helis with floats on the skids. I want to know if it is extremely hard to take off and land from the water. I think I might give it a try in shallow water, then move up to deeper water. If I get a bunchof responses saying that it won't work, or that someone lost their heli trying, then I won't do it.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here you go: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FYI-MgodwwUAYg
Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

HAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7JI6rZ-Zt4
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: pontoons on the skids

It's got to take some balls to land a 600 on the water. Just have a buddy on a jet ski close in case something happens

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk while on the clock at work thinking about helicopters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373136375434.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	433663  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've thought about making good pontoons. Maybe balsa or styrofoam and paint it with a good waterproof acrylic paint. The key would be to get the balance and height right so the tail or nose doesnt try to dip into the water.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: pontoons on the skids

That's something to consider. I still haven't gotten around to it yet, but the ideas are flowing.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk while on the clock at work thinking about helicopters
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been playing with the idea myself. Could be fun and might even open up new opportunities for flying. Something to consider:
1) When spooling up on water the heli will yaw considerably until the tail rotor gets up to speed. Not much you can do about it but spooling up at zero pitch may reduce the yaw a little. The heli will also move sideways opposite of where the tail rotor sits, but you can fight that the same way you do in the air.
2) If you are used to spooling up and down with negative pitch like I do the heli will be pushed down into the water. Make sure you have enough flotation margin and/or spool up and down at zero pitch.
3) For each kg of AUW you need one liter of floats in the water. Add a generous margin. Center of float/lift should be right under CG.
4) Water is an enemy of a the heli but a crash in water is probably safer for the pilot and spectators than a crash on the ground. Retrieving the heli may be more risky though.. Salt water is probably out of the question unless you consider the heli disposable.
5) Pontoons can be used on land too and might actually enable you to take of from and land on places that would be unsuitable for standard skids.

Let's see what new moves we can do on water. Gliding water landings? Perhaps retrieving RC boats by blowing them towards land? Fishing with a heli is probably not a good idea...
helif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Let's see what new moves we can do on water. Gliding water landings? Perhaps retrieving RC boats by blowing them towards land? Fishing with a heli is probably not a good idea...
Fishing LOL

Shark repellent Bat-spray (0 min 36 sec)

rc helicopter fishing,CATCHING A FISH (0 min 52 sec)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive been giving this some though also,not only would it allow landing and take off from water but would also raise the heli up enough to keep tail rotor out of high grass and such
Tamaska is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RC helicopter floats

Redneck Pontoons makes pontoon grips that when combined with your recycled bottles or cans will allow you to land and float on water.
www.redneckpontoons.com
RedneckPontoons is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Careful of new wind resistance

Once you put pontoons on your craft, it will be exponentially affected by crosswinds, drag etc. I put pontoons on a 350QX and was flying along the beach less than a week ago. An offshore breeze came up and my 350 is now most likely bobbing along somewhere off Long Island Sound. I am not sure, but that's the way it was headed when I hit RTH and it couldn't fight the wind with those stupid pontoons on it!
Fishercat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a big difference between a 700 or even a 600 size heli, and a 350qx. This thread was about putting skids on a large helicopter, which even with pontoon skids on, would not be as susceptible to wind as a small multi-rotor.
The thought of putting pontoons on a quad never crossed my mind.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Am I missing something in this thread or what ?
these have been used for years
along with some home made ones made from swimming pool noodles

I have used them on both water and snow
The heli wont flip or roll nearly as fast with them installed but they work fine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-helic...FYkdgQodXcMCPg
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee rider View Post
Am I missing something in this thread or what ?
these have been used for years
along with some home made ones made from swimming pool noodles

I have used them on both water and snow
The heli wont flip or roll nearly as fast with them installed but they work fine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-helic...FYkdgQodXcMCPg
I'm not sure, it was an old thread. I was wanting to hear people's experiences with using pontoons on a large nitro or electric helicopter (600 - 700).
I know that they are manufactured, and improvised, but I have no experience taking off from ore landing on water, and was interested in hearing personal accounts.
Is it a soft landing? Does the tail hold or require manual inputs to hold during takeoff? Does the water create a suction effect requiring more power and pitch to achieve lift-off? Does the condition of the surface Change the suction effect?
I Have still not had the balls to try landing on a pond, and wanted to hear from people who have.
There are a few videos on YouTube, but they just show a quick takeoff or landing with a 450, and don't describe anything.

This thread was dead for a long time until someone responded talking about the effects of wind and other factors on their blade quad-rotor, and that they had lost the craft attempting it.

If you could go into a bit more detail about your experience, maybe it would give me three guts to try it.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK I understand now
First off have some type of retrieval system
Whether its your swimming trunks fishing pole or a boat cuz stuff happens

The heli will turn to the left when spooling up some till the tail catches up with the torque
its not uncontrollable unless you do it fast but you will have to compensate

the pontoons do stick to the water some but you will barely notice it with a 600

Do not let any of the blades touch the water
the tail blades will act just like a boat prop and push the heli whichever way there pitched
not a real big deal normally but it will get your attention

main blades are a different story
touch the main blades and its going in almost every time
no blade scraping on water

Landing on the water is not a problem from a hover

if the heli is moving left/right forward/backwards when it touches down
depending on how fast its moving and how hard it touches down can/will be a different story

you can "taxi" a heli on the water
just don't get carried away

inverted hovering is cool "lots of water spray"

all of my flying was done with no water wake and very little wind on a small pond
at our clubs old field

We lost that field over 10 years ago and I haven't had the urge to fly off water since
It was a fun learning experience with a Raptor 50

But I don't know if its worth the risk now that I have done it

If I lived on a lake I would have one with floats
Just so I could get in a couple of flights now and then
When there was no people wind or wave action on the lake
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sounds like fun. I guess that it is a bucket list item that I will have to attempt at some point.
Maybe I will attach some to my 600 nitro and give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in