Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Recomendations for Quality, Easy to Use Flybarless

Hi All,

Have not yet gone flybarless. Bought a Dominator 450 6s last summer and just now getting to it. Have been messing with the Align 3G flybarless and am a little frustrated just trying to load in the version 5 software.

What do you guys think is better (or best in terms of use easy setup) and where can I get it?

I am not concerned with cost. The 3G came with the model but I will happily buy something that is ready to go with less fiddle faddle.

Thanks,
Jeff
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3GX is probably the most difficult, and troubling FBL system to setup. It works if you have a lot of experience with it. But I'd recommend that you save yourself the time and frustration.

Can't go wrong with a V Bar, IKON, or if you are not concerned with internal governor mode, the Gpro is awesome too.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a vbar on my x3 and from messng around with it, its very easy to do. I didn't have to set the whole thing up since i bought it used but i have changed a few things, and it basically tells you what each option is and what it does, along with recommended values you your size machine.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have heard good stuff about the vbar and ikon. I did not see these at Rons where I usually get my stuff.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're gonna get into this hobby.. you gotta get into ordering parts. Save big money and also get the good stuff. Local hobby shops just don't have the depth to cover these things.

I have the Gpro on my 450L and 600L and can say it has to be one of the easiest to setup, though it still needs tuning for hard flights. The only downfall is there's no internal E governor. But I mean it flies awesome and the tail hold is insane. Talking about a force field around the tail.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face

I've actually been in the hobby for 25 years. I just have not built a flybarless model, yet. Rons Heliproz in Texas is a dedicated Heli store, but he doesn't have the vbar or ikon.

I think I might have found why the software was not loading correctly. Will probably get an ikon from helidirect and see if I can get the 3G to work while I am waiting.

My first flybarless is the little blade 180 I bought a few months back. Have been so busy the last couple of years I have just been flying my old (and decaying) stuff.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea IKON just came out with an anodized red aluminum case. It looks very sweet as their original case always struck me as pink and cheap.

You could also get the Brain too. Its the same thing.. but black case. (I'm obviously fashion fickle) I like it to look the part.

IKON and VBar are pretty much the top of the heap. Their extra boost for being the best comes from their excellent governors.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried zyx, BeastX, vbar and SK540. The latter 3 are very good. I am going to try SK720BE soon.... in my mixed breed 450L.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't seen any reviews yet, because it just came out. However, the Neuron looks pretty good too. It is $149 at helidirect right now. You would be one of the first wave though.

Spirit has also had some pretty good reviews.

I have experience with vbars and they are super simple to setup. I have also heard a lot of good on the IKON, and they are a bit cheaper.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdad View Post
I haven't seen any reviews yet, because it just came out. However, the Neuron looks pretty good too. It is $149 at helidirect right now. You would be one of the first wave though.

Spirit has also had some pretty good reviews.

I have experience with vbars and they are super simple to setup. I have also heard a lot of good on the IKON, and they are a bit cheaper.
Yeah, it's funny how the most expensive one is usually the best and easiest to use. I think I will probably plunk down the money for that one.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll probably catch crap for this. But beastx. No computer needed for setup. And really easy to setup. However it doesn't have the newest gyros in it. But heck, it still flies good. But it's up to you. Most modern fbl controllers need a computer for setup and tweaking.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My vote goes to the iKon. You can download the software from their website and run It in "demo" mode to get an idea how simple the set up is. Just going through the basic "Wizard" set up, your heli will fly amazing. And the governor is awesome!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either that, or go find a used vbar for sale, there are lots of them now that the Neo is out. You can get a mini vbar for pretty darn cheap.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I'll probably catch crap for this. But beastx. No computer needed for setup. And really easy to setup. However it doesn't have the newest gyros in it. But heck, it still flies good. But it's up to you. Most modern fbl controllers need a computer for setup and tweaking.
There are times that this would be really nice.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://neuron.eznov.com/

They are a new kid on the block, but initial reviews seem to be all positive! Very easy to set up, multi-purpose, great price!
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Neuron did catch my attention for the claimed 9 axes gyro. That means it is making corrections on 3 more axes. 3 more than X,Y and Z.

I'd like to see this diagrammed and explained. But its definitely small and the auto configuration governor among other features are quite interesting.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
The Neuron did catch my attention for the claimed 9 axes gyro. That means it is making corrections on 3 more axes. 3 more than X,Y and Z.
They are using a 9 axes gyro chip, but I doubt they are using the 3 axis magnetic part. That leaves 6 axis of gyros and accelerometers.

I would choose a FBL controller that had a rescue function, unless you are an expert pilot. For my 450L Dominators, Spirit and Neuron are my choices. Here are photos of my Spirit installation. The Neuron would mount in the same spot as shown. I had to remove the bottom gyro tray and mount the FBL controller on the bottom plate because the connectors come in from the top, which takes up more space. In order to do this, I epoxied a fiberglass piece to the bottom plate in order to provide a better surface to mount the FBL controller.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbl1.jpg
Views:	2439
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	598712   Click image for larger version

Name:	fbl2.jpg
Views:	2488
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	598713   Click image for larger version

Name:	fbl3.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	598714   Click image for larger version

Name:	fbl4.jpg
Views:	2311
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	598715  
FrankFuss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well you're of course only speculating. The VBar NEO has two sets of multi axis sensors that work together.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It also apparently has vibration analysis on 3 different axis or something of that sort.

Im really thinking about getting one to try out since their so cheap and have all these extras like rescue w pitch management, vibration pick up analysis, bluetooth (built in I believe, but I know it says it comes with one) and a bit more... all for 150!

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just made the switch to fbl with a beastx on my 450 and I gotta say it was an absolute piece of cake to setup. Took me all of maybe 25 minutes to set up the unit. Flies great in my opinion and does everything I ask of it, with that being said, I have no experience with any other fbl unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in