Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLerch View Post
Oh yea, why don't they make a throttle servo with integrated fail safe? IE if power lost it snaps 'closed' one way or another?

Throwing a battery during a crash and doing the funky chicken dance is high on my list of things I want to avoid. Currently I've done everything humanly possible to keep the battery from ejecting. I've looked at adding a throttle close spring, but it would have to be hefty enough to push a dead servo, all the while not inadvertently getting in the way during normal flight...

I still haven't found that spring yet..
i think that would be great i have been thinking on how it could be done. it would be east to add a small battery inline with the throttle servo and a diode to keep the battery from powering the rest of the system. dont hitec digis have a failsafe? what about a spring on the servo arm?
raptor e620 fbl
darryl123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger50 View Post
Thank you ShinOBIWAN: that definately made me laugh. At least I got through half a tank of fuel before I bought it. Was that you flying in the video?? If it was I see that I have some serious competition. I must agree with you, my 90 was a wonderful machine before it died, and I'm sure I will be flying another one within a month. The aurora and 700 can weight a year or 2. Who knows, by then they may actually be available, and the bugs worked out by then. Thanks again for the laugh.
My pleasure. BTW that wasn't me in the video.

The only machine that might sway me to part with my 90SE with Kasama is the upcoming Compass Odin 90. That machine looks to be really well sorted and if the Knight 3D is any indication it will be good.

I like the Aurora from an aesthetic stand point too. But as for the Synergy, its expensive to fix and I don't like Align because they're not built that well and generally need hop ups. The 700 is a new machine so maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance but if its anything like my 600E it'll be a disappointment.
ShinOBIWAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Jim you crack me up. The more I think about it, I don't think 'Im cut out for one of them thar fancy pant heliocopters. As far as the engine goes, the piston ring is completely gone, so yeah she turs over..ha..ha. When it happended the clutch grinded the lining of the bell, which then flowed into the carb while she was running full bore on the ground. The result? Black, burnt nito, and metal shavings throughout the entire engine and into the muffler. if your gonna do something, don't do it half assed. I'm an old stubborn bastard too, and yeah I will rebuild it, I just have to get another new kit so I have parts to rebuild. I'm just so PO'd, the new Kasama head was working great, and had that 90 running on rails. Oh well, whataya gonna do....Get another 90 3D, they may be old school, but then again, so am I. Hell I'm just old. See ya.
i think i should check my motor also. i got lucky as most of my fuel burned out in the air and when it did come down the clutch shoe expanded and killed the motor. rebuild the raptor parts are not that bad but you did a big job on yours. hope you get it fixed. this was my first crash on the 90 and parts are a lot more then the 50 but if its an avant or something they are a lot more expensive then an old raptor
raptor e620 fbl
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No Darryl, no repair job for this one..I BOUGHT A NEW ONE!!. Should be here by Wednesday, buit by Sunday, flying by next Wednesday, repairing next Wednesday night. Please no Lord, not that again, Good luck with your rebuild project.

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hows the rebuild going?
i am just finishing the crime scine investagation to make sure i dont have a rerun of this. so far i have gotten the tail gears and feathering shaft. i guess im luckyy enough to have plenty of backup stuff to play with.
when i lost this one i almost wanted to just quit flying. but i came back to sanity and just cant stop i have been flying since 1978 so its always there. im a glutton for punishment
raptor e620 fbl
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got the kit today. Main frames, cooling shroud, and tail transmition are all together. Waiting on my aluminum A-arms for the elevator control, should be here tomorrow. They go together much easier the 2nd time..LOL. I almost, (emphasis on almost) wanted to quit flying too. But I'll be damned if I'll quit until I almost master these birds, or die. Probably the latter of the two, cause my wife just might kill me for the money I've spent on these things the last 2 years. Oh well, gotta die from something.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you only live once and you cant take it with you so have fun.
i just tested the hitec digital servo and if you set failsafe and with a diode and small nicad in the power line to the servo when i unplug it the failsafe kicks in and it goes to idle. it looks like for about $5.00 and a hitec digital servo you can stop the chicken dance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02824.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	53247  
raptor e620 fbl
Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm?? The servo itself has a fail safe? Yea, I'm all for that!

Can you float a Nicd or NiMH at 6vdc indefinitely? (well 5.3vdc after a 6vdc regulator and 0.7v diode drop)?

Boy am I liking that Idea!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yes the hitec has a built in failsafe. they sell a failsafe for cars that would do the same thing with a battery.. its a weird thing to watch the servo move after its shutoff. i would pay good money for a servo with this all built in and i bet this would be a big thing. it could be built into a govener?
raptor e620 fbl
Old 07-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Raptor 90 and it flys as good as anything out there, when you can fly as good as Bert Magbuana then maybe you could use something more, but if you can fly that good you don' t need anything more.

I'm in no hurry for any of the new heli's. The Raptor 90 set up right is very responsive. Gotta set em up right though.
Lota Fun R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sheesh do all 90 crashes cost so much? I thought 200-300 was bad!
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Talking She's Back

Well my new Rap 90 3D is back in action. Took her out today for her maiden voage, She Rocks. Ran 6 tanks of fuel through her yesterday to break in th OS 91 SZ. I've got to say that I think I like the OS a little more than the YS I sold to Lim Lerch. She seems to do better at higher revs, with no bogging down, and balances out much better. I turned her loose a little bit today, the Kasama head, running at +12 -12, with 10.5 elevator and 8.5 cyclic pitch at 20% expo was as good as ever. I'm using the Super Stubz paddles with the flybar weights next to the paddle, which gives me 22 grams, with amazing, but smooth cyclic control. I'm lovin it. I also changed the cyclic servos from 9250's to 8717's at 6 volts, which when combined with my 2.4 Futaba 12 FGH Tx, makes for one fast responsive beast. Now if I can just avoid the everlovin "Dumb Thumb" again. Hope everyone had a great and safe 4th of July. See Ya.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats Mike!! That sounds like one screaming heli. I can't imagine what it must feel like having more power than I do AND a faster, more responsive cyclic.

Are you going to any Heli events this year? I'm scheduling vacation and thinking about going to IRCHA or the the "Southern Rotary Classic" or maybe both
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No events planned for this year, hell they would probably laugh me off the flight line. Although I think after another year of flying under my belt, I would like to plan one for next year. When next years schedule come out, I'll touch base with you, and maybe our wives could meet and ***** about having Heli Husbands. Then let's go fly...Ya baby.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

BUHHUUUUU .....my turn! I just slammed my R90SE into the ground! I was very proud..... my first crash with my 90 after 53 flights. Doing piroflips, a cloud moved and exposed the sun..right behind the heli . I felt like a racoon crossing the freeway. The only thing I saw was a bright light and a loud SLAM!

I landed sideways. The pipe , blades and canopy absorbed all the energy. ( bye bye MP5)
The motor port really got damaged, but I think it will still work if I shave it a bit to get a good flat surface
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe LR.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	54084   Click image for larger version

Name:	port LR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	54085  
iher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Know what you mean iher, no matter what the cause of the crash, it still bites. Although, all things considered, it looks like you got off far better than I did. Dang, you tore the muffler bolt slots off the enging...Impressive . Good luck with the rebuild. BTW, are you guys south of the border having any trouble getting nitro fuel??

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
.....are you guys south of the border having any trouble getting nitro fuel??
Not really, apparently the local hobby shops have either a good stock or a very reliable distributer
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

glad you got your raptor back together i have only bought a couple parts so far. to many other things going now but it should be soon.
raptor e620 fbl
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #39 (permalink)

Yes, me too had a bad crash couple days ago. Unfortunately I dint make pictures of what was left of it.
But the total as of today is over $700.00 CDN dollars.
Just a word of advice. Make sure the blade bolts are tight. I havent seen pictures in the forum that could match mine, but like I sayd before. I have no pictures.
Rebuild is my answer, because most likely you have parts already for your Raptor. Why buy a new
Raptor90standard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

badger50, I have the same setup as you but with a 90SE
I `m using 8.25 and 690 baldes and 1900rpms governed . I feel that after 3 consecutive tic tocs i start losing rpms ....baaadly. I can never do more than 5
I fly at an altitude of 9000 ft above sea level and use 30% nitro ( this is what I think is the cause of my heli´s ills)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in